Page 2 of 2
Posted: Apr 15, 2011 11:42 AM
by Jeremy
I'm not terribly concerned about the hardware. What do you think of the OS?
Posted: Apr 15, 2011 11:46 AM
by TSMacNeil
Jeremy wrote:I'm not terribly concerned about the hardware. What do you think of the OS?
So far? Very fast. I've only used it for this site and my work site (Gmail). It's got about 6 apps which are obviously proprietary and Google owned. Once I get more time using it, I'll know more.
Posted: Apr 15, 2011 12:08 PM
by mitch
Thanks for posting those pics. I too will be interested to hear your opinions on the OS once you have time to get into it.

Posted: Apr 16, 2011 7:26 PM
by TSMacNeil
So far, so good on the Google laptop. No crashes. Fast. Doesn't generate any heat at all, and the battery looks like it will last forever....
More to follow
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 7:45 PM
by oldskool
Nice rug. It really ties that room together.
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 8:15 PM
by TSMacNeil
uh....yeah.
Recently moved...very little furniture....a few bad carpets....and a houseful of scorpions...
oh, my!
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 8:18 PM
by Karl Grau
TSMacNeil wrote:
uh....yeah.
Recently moved...very little furniture....a few bad carpets....and a houseful of scorpions...
oh, my!
All you need are some cinder block/2x12 bookshelves and you have my apartment in college.

Posted: Apr 16, 2011 8:23 PM
by TSMacNeil
Karl Grau wrote:TSMacNeil wrote:
uh....yeah.
Recently moved...very little furniture....a few bad carpets....and a houseful of scorpions...
oh, my!
All you need are some cinder block/2x12 bookshelves and you have my apartment in college.

Donated almost our entire house full of furniture to charity instead of moving it...now I'm paying the price.
This place is 1500 sq ft larger than what we had....3 entire rooms totally empty for now. Just dropped $2k for a "bigger bed" today...
oye
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 8:36 PM
by Mike W.
TSMacNeil wrote:
This place is 1500 sq ft larger than what we had....3 entire rooms totally empty for now. Just dropped $2k for a "bigger bed" today...
oye
Same thing we did a couple of years ago. Except after cleaning out the storage unit we were full. Not as packed, but no extra space.

We're not pack rats, we just don't throw good stuff away.

Posted: Apr 16, 2011 8:55 PM
by Jeremy
Did you get the coffee table from a surplus sale of Chili's Restaraunts tabletops?
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 10:31 PM
by oldskool
Jeremy wrote:Did you get the coffee table from a surplus sale of Chili's Restaraunts tabletops?
And there is an unusually large thumb in the picture. . .I think there is a story involved between the two.
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 10:31 PM
by louielouie
Has anybody considered using VMPlayer from VMWare to run alternative OS' on their computers as virtual machines? It's free. On my Linux platform I've run several different OS' (some at the same time) including Chrome.
I was having trouble getting MegaTunix to work in my flavor of Linux so I installed an Ubuntu virtual machine which is what the developer uses and I have XP to run other MegaSquirt stuff.
Just a thought...
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 11:03 PM
by TSMacNeil
Jeremy wrote:Did you get the coffee table from a surplus sale of Chili's Restaraunts tabletops?
Ha!
I made that table when I first moved to PHX. It was kept outside under a gazebo. I couldn't bear to give it up. It's all I need...just a table.
I feel like Steve Martin
Posted: Jun 25, 2011 10:01 PM
by TSMacNeil
Holy Google, Batman!
Well, just to round out this thread...
The Google Laptop is pretty cool...it's VERY fast to load since it's just a "smart phone" at heart. No harddrive to load. Its very light...battery lasts about 12 hours of continuous online use.
My Beta is unmarked, but it is definitely the Acer model 700.
Interestingly, Google ran short of these, so about 600 Virgin employees didn't get theirs. (not cool) Supposedly going to get them, but the Beta testing is over, so whats the point.
I see them being sold retail now for about $350....which you can buy a real laptop for, and not be anchored to Google or "The Cloud" computing...which I still have no f'ing idea about.
If you're into the "cloud" stuff...this thing works great. It loads up any recognized wi-fi almost immediately when powered up...it IS convenient.
That is all gentlemen.
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 2:07 PM
by travisj
Wow! Crazy coincidence, but my company just built some kiosks for 4-5 airports where you will be able to check out a Samsung laptop with google chrome to use in-flight on Virgin America. Isn't that your airline? I think it is free to promote their in-flight wifi. they will be installing said kiosks beginning next Friday I believe. San Fran, Boston, DFW, O'hare, and I think they cancelled LAX (though it is already built). I have been working many hours on these kiosks. I did all the construction drawings and CNC programming to cut everything out. And all the vinyl logos on the units. I'm guessing they will be stationed near the Virgin America terminals. If you see one, let me know what you think.
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 2:22 PM
by TSMacNeil
Will do...

Posted: Jun 26, 2011 2:58 PM
by SparkJR
Man i signed up for the beta, desperately trying to get one of those.. jealous..

The whole concept is actually pretty interesting, but i don't now how comfortable i would feel with having ALL of my data stored on the servers of a huge (and given recent lawsuits, not very trustworthy) company, among millions of others'..
I guess i'm just a little paranoid, but to me the contents of my hard drive are just like the contents of my bedroom, personal.
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 3:17 PM
by Mike W.
SparkJR wrote:Man i signed up for the beta, desperately trying to get one of those.. jealous..

The whole concept is actually pretty interesting, but i don't now how comfortable i would feel with having ALL of my data stored on the servers of a huge (and given recent lawsuits, not very trustworthy) company, among millions of others'..
I guess i'm just a little paranoid, but to me the contents of my hard drive are just like the contents of my bedroom, personal.
I agree entirely. Not only is there the security issue, but what about a company simply going out of business? And having your stuff disapear when someone pulls the plug because they didn't pay the bill. And remember, nobody is doing this just to be nice, the motive, which isn't necessarily bad, is to make money. Maybe it will be cheaper and maybe it won't in the long run, but it's got to be paid for one way or another, and a demo or beta doesn't count.
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 4:42 PM
by SparkJR
I agree entirely. Not only is there the security issue, but what about a company simply going out of business? And having your stuff disapear when someone pulls the plug because they didn't pay the bill. And remember, nobody is doing this just to be nice, the motive, which isn't necessarily bad, is to make money. Maybe it will be cheaper and maybe it won't in the long run, but it's got to be paid for one way or another, and a demo or beta doesn't count.
Exactly. To be honest though, i don't think anyone has to worry about google going out of business anytime soon.. they have their fingers dipped into just about every industry possible, including an energy company! This is a company that was started as a search engine in the 90's by a couple of college students, and now they're practically taking over the technological world! To be frank, it scares me that one company can have so much control of so many people in so many different aspects. I just don't have enough trust to give all my personal data to such a huge corporation, and expect them to just hold it for me.
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 6:54 PM
by south26
My school is switching over to this next school year. We have to switch everything over to the Chrome. We are also not buying any new tech so that we can save up and get all of the students I-pads. So until then we get no new computers. I lost 2 at the end year out of 5. The video cards died. Joy
Andy
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 7:20 PM
by Mike W.
I don't find Google's heritage, or lack thereof to be a concern, but it's #1 the principal of the thing and second even if they are solid and well meaning eventually they will have competitors in the "cloud" field who may not be as stable. Yes I understand the concept, I just don't trust it.
Posted: Jul 09, 2011 8:06 PM
by TSMacNeil
travisj wrote:Wow! Crazy coincidence, but my company just built some kiosks for 4-5 airports where you will be able to check out a Samsung laptop with google chrome to use in-flight on Virgin America. Isn't that your airline? I think it is free to promote their in-flight wifi. they will be installing said kiosks beginning next Friday I believe. San Fran, Boston, DFW, O'hare, and I think they cancelled LAX (though it is already built). I have been working many hours on these kiosks. I did all the construction drawings and CNC programming to cut everything out. And all the vinyl logos on the units. I'm guessing they will be stationed near the Virgin America terminals. If you see one, let me know what you think.
Saw the kiosks in San Francisco...they look awesome, and the netbooks are being loaned to guests on our flights...people are scarfing them up every flight.
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 3:38 PM
by travisj
Nice!
And thanks!
I saw a few pics of the SFO one and there were a lot of people around. Seems like some good marketing. If I were to fly Virgin, I would definitely check one out.