Google Chrome OS?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

I'm not terribly concerned about the hardware. What do you think of the OS?
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

Jeremy wrote:I'm not terribly concerned about the hardware. What do you think of the OS?
So far? Very fast. I've only used it for this site and my work site (Gmail). It's got about 6 apps which are obviously proprietary and Google owned. Once I get more time using it, I'll know more.
mitch
Posts: 961
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Wheaton, IL

Post by mitch »

Thanks for posting those pics. I too will be interested to hear your opinions on the OS once you have time to get into it. :alright:
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

So far, so good on the Google laptop. No crashes. Fast. Doesn't generate any heat at all, and the battery looks like it will last forever....

More to follow
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

Nice rug. It really ties that room together.
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

:rofl:

uh....yeah.

Recently moved...very little furniture....a few bad carpets....and a houseful of scorpions...

oh, my!
Karl Grau
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: 1930's Germany

Post by Karl Grau »

TSMacNeil wrote::rofl:

uh....yeah.

Recently moved...very little furniture....a few bad carpets....and a houseful of scorpions...

oh, my!
All you need are some cinder block/2x12 bookshelves and you have my apartment in college. :)
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

Karl Grau wrote:
TSMacNeil wrote::rofl:

uh....yeah.

Recently moved...very little furniture....a few bad carpets....and a houseful of scorpions...

oh, my!
All you need are some cinder block/2x12 bookshelves and you have my apartment in college. :)
:laugh:
Donated almost our entire house full of furniture to charity instead of moving it...now I'm paying the price.

This place is 1500 sq ft larger than what we had....3 entire rooms totally empty for now. Just dropped $2k for a "bigger bed" today...
oye
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

TSMacNeil wrote:
This place is 1500 sq ft larger than what we had....3 entire rooms totally empty for now. Just dropped $2k for a "bigger bed" today...
oye
Same thing we did a couple of years ago. Except after cleaning out the storage unit we were full. Not as packed, but no extra space. :laugh: We're not pack rats, we just don't throw good stuff away. :laugh:
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

Did you get the coffee table from a surplus sale of Chili's Restaraunts tabletops?
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

Jeremy wrote:Did you get the coffee table from a surplus sale of Chili's Restaraunts tabletops?
And there is an unusually large thumb in the picture. . .I think there is a story involved between the two.
louielouie
Posts: 480
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Bothell, Wa

Post by louielouie »

Has anybody considered using VMPlayer from VMWare to run alternative OS' on their computers as virtual machines? It's free. On my Linux platform I've run several different OS' (some at the same time) including Chrome.
I was having trouble getting MegaTunix to work in my flavor of Linux so I installed an Ubuntu virtual machine which is what the developer uses and I have XP to run other MegaSquirt stuff.

Just a thought...
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

Jeremy wrote:Did you get the coffee table from a surplus sale of Chili's Restaraunts tabletops?
Ha!
I made that table when I first moved to PHX. It was kept outside under a gazebo. I couldn't bear to give it up. It's all I need...just a table.
I feel like Steve Martin
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

Holy Google, Batman!

Well, just to round out this thread...

The Google Laptop is pretty cool...it's VERY fast to load since it's just a "smart phone" at heart. No harddrive to load. Its very light...battery lasts about 12 hours of continuous online use.
My Beta is unmarked, but it is definitely the Acer model 700.

Interestingly, Google ran short of these, so about 600 Virgin employees didn't get theirs. (not cool) Supposedly going to get them, but the Beta testing is over, so whats the point.

I see them being sold retail now for about $350....which you can buy a real laptop for, and not be anchored to Google or "The Cloud" computing...which I still have no f'ing idea about.

If you're into the "cloud" stuff...this thing works great. It loads up any recognized wi-fi almost immediately when powered up...it IS convenient.

That is all gentlemen.
travisj
Posts: 1153
Joined: Nov 05, 2009
Location: Arvada, CO

Post by travisj »

Wow! Crazy coincidence, but my company just built some kiosks for 4-5 airports where you will be able to check out a Samsung laptop with google chrome to use in-flight on Virgin America. Isn't that your airline? I think it is free to promote their in-flight wifi. they will be installing said kiosks beginning next Friday I believe. San Fran, Boston, DFW, O'hare, and I think they cancelled LAX (though it is already built). I have been working many hours on these kiosks. I did all the construction drawings and CNC programming to cut everything out. And all the vinyl logos on the units. I'm guessing they will be stationed near the Virgin America terminals. If you see one, let me know what you think.
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

Will do...
;)
SparkJR
Posts: 200
Joined: May 22, 2011
Location: Napa, CA

Post by SparkJR »

Man i signed up for the beta, desperately trying to get one of those.. jealous.. :?
The whole concept is actually pretty interesting, but i don't now how comfortable i would feel with having ALL of my data stored on the servers of a huge (and given recent lawsuits, not very trustworthy) company, among millions of others'..
I guess i'm just a little paranoid, but to me the contents of my hard drive are just like the contents of my bedroom, personal.
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

SparkJR wrote:Man i signed up for the beta, desperately trying to get one of those.. jealous.. :?
The whole concept is actually pretty interesting, but i don't now how comfortable i would feel with having ALL of my data stored on the servers of a huge (and given recent lawsuits, not very trustworthy) company, among millions of others'..
I guess i'm just a little paranoid, but to me the contents of my hard drive are just like the contents of my bedroom, personal.
I agree entirely. Not only is there the security issue, but what about a company simply going out of business? And having your stuff disapear when someone pulls the plug because they didn't pay the bill. And remember, nobody is doing this just to be nice, the motive, which isn't necessarily bad, is to make money. Maybe it will be cheaper and maybe it won't in the long run, but it's got to be paid for one way or another, and a demo or beta doesn't count.
SparkJR
Posts: 200
Joined: May 22, 2011
Location: Napa, CA

Post by SparkJR »

I agree entirely. Not only is there the security issue, but what about a company simply going out of business? And having your stuff disapear when someone pulls the plug because they didn't pay the bill. And remember, nobody is doing this just to be nice, the motive, which isn't necessarily bad, is to make money. Maybe it will be cheaper and maybe it won't in the long run, but it's got to be paid for one way or another, and a demo or beta doesn't count.
Exactly. To be honest though, i don't think anyone has to worry about google going out of business anytime soon.. they have their fingers dipped into just about every industry possible, including an energy company! This is a company that was started as a search engine in the 90's by a couple of college students, and now they're practically taking over the technological world! To be frank, it scares me that one company can have so much control of so many people in so many different aspects. I just don't have enough trust to give all my personal data to such a huge corporation, and expect them to just hold it for me.
south26
Posts: 6374
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: Kettering, OH

Post by south26 »

My school is switching over to this next school year. We have to switch everything over to the Chrome. We are also not buying any new tech so that we can save up and get all of the students I-pads. So until then we get no new computers. I lost 2 at the end year out of 5. The video cards died. Joy

Andy
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

I don't find Google's heritage, or lack thereof to be a concern, but it's #1 the principal of the thing and second even if they are solid and well meaning eventually they will have competitors in the "cloud" field who may not be as stable. Yes I understand the concept, I just don't trust it.
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

travisj wrote:Wow! Crazy coincidence, but my company just built some kiosks for 4-5 airports where you will be able to check out a Samsung laptop with google chrome to use in-flight on Virgin America. Isn't that your airline? I think it is free to promote their in-flight wifi. they will be installing said kiosks beginning next Friday I believe. San Fran, Boston, DFW, O'hare, and I think they cancelled LAX (though it is already built). I have been working many hours on these kiosks. I did all the construction drawings and CNC programming to cut everything out. And all the vinyl logos on the units. I'm guessing they will be stationed near the Virgin America terminals. If you see one, let me know what you think.
Saw the kiosks in San Francisco...they look awesome, and the netbooks are being loaned to guests on our flights...people are scarfing them up every flight.
travisj
Posts: 1153
Joined: Nov 05, 2009
Location: Arvada, CO

Post by travisj »

Nice!
And thanks!
I saw a few pics of the SFO one and there were a lot of people around. Seems like some good marketing. If I were to fly Virgin, I would definitely check one out.
Post Reply