upper control arms

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
SoopaGhetto
Posts: 86
Joined: Nov 10, 2010
Location: Chesapeake/Blacksburg VA

Post by SoopaGhetto »

freetoride wrote:I've replaced many ball joints on different types of vehicles and and striking the knuckle does indeed work well. Many will just fall apart.
i wish i got mine to do that. is there a way to diagram where/how to hit? im just thinking i was hitting it in the wrong area. also, i was using a 2.5lb hammer. didnt have my 8lber with me at school
freetoride
Posts: 1044
Joined: Oct 31, 2011
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas

Post by freetoride »

I have a 4lb shop hammer, for smaller spaces I use a 2 lb brass hammer. There is some technique to it I guess, its not so much the weight but the sharp straight blow that will do it. I think an 8 lb could break or bend something else.
waferman
Posts: 256
Joined: Feb 26, 2009
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Post by waferman »

The tool shown shown above by someone is paramount- avoiding beating on things for hours even with a pickle fork. Use Harbor Freight and buy a 'front end kit'. You won't regret it! It does come with more pieces than you need, but they may work on other cars also. control arms pop out in minutes. You can buy the exact tool as shown above also for much less, on Fleabay.
Post Reply