Carbon fiber hood?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

Jay told me that by removing the power seat crap and completely converting the windows to crank you could lose quite a bit of weight.
turbodan
Posts: 9705
Joined: Jan 09, 2007

Post by turbodan »

Big Bronze Rim wrote:Well, with some peoples driving ability, terminal understeer might be the safest bet.
It might help prevent certain e28 owners from driving thier cars into concrete barriers on freeways.

If you gut your interior on your streen driven e28 because you think its going to make your car faster or more agile, you're a ricer fucktard.
Brad D.
Posts: 10735
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Post by Brad D. »

I don't really get the whole gut my car for weight loss thing. I like the fact that my car has creature comforts, yet is fast. It's a BMW, and that's why I like it. The e28 is a relatively light car anyway. I am not willing to give up my somewhat quiet interior and cold AC to save a few pounds. To each their own.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

turbodan wrote:ricer fucktard.
:rofl:
genzox
Posts: 744
Joined: Aug 12, 2008
Location: Winter Garden FL

Post by genzox »

wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

OH MY GOD BUY A HONDA or an E30. :puke:
turbodan
Posts: 9705
Joined: Jan 09, 2007

Post by turbodan »

:laugh:

Underglow is gaaaaaaaaay
genzox
Posts: 744
Joined: Aug 12, 2008
Location: Winter Garden FL

Post by genzox »

ummm.... nahh im good. i think im the only person with leds under a 535is.... i know its different.... but in real life they look kick aus. so. can u say ur the only one to have something on your car?
i have friends who are into muscle cars and drive 400hp+ cars as their daily driver, and i also have friends with riced out honda civics.... but im respected by both. Im proud that i have a different looking car and to each their own. :heehee:
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

UMMM, I CAN SAY IM THE ONLY PERSON TO HAVE SOMETHING ON MY CAR. AS FAR AS EYE NO, KNOW WON HAZ SHAWN D. LED EURO TURN SIGNALS. I DON'T HAVE FAG LIGHTING UNDER MY CAR. I DON'T WANT IT NEITHER. I WIN, MKAY. INTERWEBZ IZ SRS BSNS!
turbodan
Posts: 9705
Joined: Jan 09, 2007

Post by turbodan »

I think I'm the only guy with a GT3582R etc. in a 528e, but that doesn't mean anything. Thats not why I did it. Do you think an underglow kit is any less gay on an e28 than it is on a Civic/Integra/Prelude? How is it cool to do the exact same thing as every other ricer just because its on a different car? Applies to wings, scoops, abominable body kits and the like. You're just the first guy you know to defile an e28 in that particular fashion.
Scottinva
Posts: 3663
Joined: Dec 07, 2008
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Post by Scottinva »

I hast a go fast bmw air freshener!
genzox
Posts: 744
Joined: Aug 12, 2008
Location: Winter Garden FL

Post by genzox »

Scottinva wrote:I hast a go fast bmw air freshener!
:rofl:

:( Geez guys its not like i have them on all the time, its just something different to have.

PLus when ur working on a project and u go into the night, its reallllly helpful to have some extra light so u can see what your doing to finish up what ur working on.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

genzox wrote:PLus when ur working on a project and u go into the night, its reallllly helpful to have some extra light so u can see what your doing to finish up what ur working on.
That's why God invented these:

Image

A latent ricer is one thing, but a latent ricer in denial ... :rotz:
Brad D.
Posts: 10735
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Post by Brad D. »

C.R. Krieger wrote:
A latent ricer is one thing, but a latent ricer in denial ... :rotz:
Oh how true. Being the only one to have something on your car is only cool if it's something that other people find cool. I could put a AC window unit in my car, does that make me cool. :laugh: Underglow, not so much. You aren't going to get a lot of love for that type of thing here. Sorry.
Now this is cool
Image
Randomg
Posts: 512
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Location: Seattle

Post by Randomg »

What if I want to daily drive my e28 but also want it to weigh less so it will be more fun? Only way to do that is to replace what's already there with something lighter (I'd probably start with the bumpers and power seats if you have them before moving to cf parts though).

I have a dream of being able to restore an e28 m5 on a cf monocoque with cf panels, too bad it's so insanely ridiculous of an idea.
Brad D.
Posts: 10735
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Post by Brad D. »

I'm fine with a carbon fiber hood. The problem is that ricers show off the CF hood instead of painting it. Paint your parts so it looks stock but is lighter, not because you want to show off your pretty weave.
CSBolger
Posts: 3485
Joined: Nov 27, 2007
Location: Palmdale, CA

Post by CSBolger »

wkohler wrote:UMMM, I CAN SAY IM THE ONLY PERSON TO HAVE SOMETHING ON MY CAR. AS FAR AS EYE NO, KNOW WON HAZ SHAWN D. LED EURO TURN SIGNALS. I DON'T HAVE FAG LIGHTING UNDER MY CAR. I DON'T WANT IT NEITHER. I WIN, MKAY. INTERWEBZ IZ SRS BSNS!
Holy shit. :rofl: :rofl:
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

CSBolger wrote:
wkohler wrote:UMMM, I CAN SAY IM THE ONLY PERSON TO HAVE SOMETHING ON MY CAR. AS FAR AS EYE NO, KNOW WON HAZ SHAWN D. LED EURO TURN SIGNALS. I DON'T HAVE FAG LIGHTING UNDER MY CAR. I DON'T WANT IT NEITHER. I WIN, MKAY. INTERWEBZ IZ SRS BSNS!
Holy shit. :rofl: :rofl:
:laugh: :rofl: :alright:
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

Scottinva wrote:I hast a go fast bmw air freshener!
That adds 10 hp!
pldlnr
Posts: 2221
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by pldlnr »

That adds 10 hp!
Perceived horsepower! :laugh:
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

pldlnr wrote:
That adds 10 hp!
Perceived horsepower! :laugh:
In my mind, my four cylinder Ranger topped at 1 million miles per hour!! :evil:
Brad D.
Posts: 10735
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Post by Brad D. »

pldlnr wrote:
That adds 10 hp!
Perceived horsepower! :laugh:
:rofl:
ealinn
Posts: 1082
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
Location: New London, NH

Post by ealinn »

Rice and Veinerschnitzel don't go well together, so don't F ING do this crap.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

ealinn wrote:Rice and Veinerschnitzel don't go well together, so don't F ING do this crap.
'Wienerschnitzel'
contor
Posts: 202
Joined: Jan 18, 2008

Post by contor »

Big Bronze Rim wrote:I'm fine with a carbon fiber hood. The problem is that ricers show off the CF hood instead of painting it. Paint your parts so it looks stock but is lighter, not because you want to show off your pretty weave.

x2
ealinn
Posts: 1082
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
Location: New London, NH

Post by ealinn »

C.R. Krieger wrote:
ealinn wrote:Rice and Veinerschnitzel don't go well together, so don't F ING do this crap.
'Wienerschnitzel'
Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Got the point across though.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

ealinn wrote:
C.R. Krieger wrote: 'Wienerschnitzel'
Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Got the point across though.
'S'OK. Shawn does English; I do German. ;)
evanmcm
Posts: 450
Joined: Sep 28, 2008
Location: Merton, WI

Post by evanmcm »

C.R. Krieger wrote:
evanmcm wrote:I don't see anything wrong with a carbon fiber hood, the e28 is very nose heavy, and if you could take 20 pounds or so off of the front, that would be a great move.
In what way? More understeer? :rotz:
How does less weight over the front axle line mean more understeer (which I hate btw, scares the shit out of me, I hate fwd)? Not trying to start an argument, I'm always ready to learn about suspension and handling facts, this is one area where I'm not always sure. But I was under the distinct impression that the extra weight on the front will produce lots of extra understeer? Just like extra weight on the back = more oversteer, aka 911 (also scary if its an old one, lol).
Randomg
Posts: 512
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Location: Seattle

Post by Randomg »

It's not quite that simple, the 911 doesn't automatically oversteer more, it's just harder to catch once you lose the back end. If you try to drive a 911 in the rain or snow, it'll understeer quite a bit from what my friend has told me. It's more about how much grip you have for the amount of weight.

Based on the fact that the m535i handles better than the m5, and the big difference really is that the m5 has more weight in the front from the engine, and from what I know, bigger contact patch per pound means more grip, I'd say no, it would understeer less.
evanmcm
Posts: 450
Joined: Sep 28, 2008
Location: Merton, WI

Post by evanmcm »

Randomg wrote:It's not quite that simple, the 911 doesn't automatically oversteer more, it's just harder to catch once you lose the back end. If you try to drive a 911 in the rain or snow, it'll understeer quite a bit from what my friend has told me. It's more about how much grip you have for the amount of weight.

Based on the fact that the m535i handles better than the m5, and the big difference really is that the m5 has more weight in the front from the engine, and from what I know, bigger contact patch per pound means more grip, I'd say no, it would understeer less.
True, that's more what I was thinking, grip/weight, on the old 911s the tires are pretty small, lol.
Post Reply