Backwards Hood on E28?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Manny D.
Posts: 1900
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: Hayward, 94542

Post by Manny D. »

wkohler wrote: I like the E23/4 ones myself. Hood opens plenty wide - and they're designed for a BMW!
The saab ones are the same opening length but open with alot less lifting, Actually none.

Honestly Chris, When you are at the yard you should grab a set. You will like em.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Manny D. wrote:
wkohler wrote: I like the E23/4 ones myself. Hood opens plenty wide - and they're designed for a BMW!
The saab ones are the same opening length but open with alot less lifting, Actually none.

Honestly Chris, When you are at the yard you should grab a set. You will like em.
I tried them already. Like 3 days before you started selling them. I wasn't sold on them so I put my E23/4 ones back in.
Manny D.
Posts: 1900
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: Hayward, 94542

Post by Manny D. »

wkohler wrote:
Manny D. wrote:
wkohler wrote: I like the E23/4 ones myself. Hood opens plenty wide - and they're designed for a BMW!
The saab ones are the same opening length but open with alot less lifting, Actually none.

Honestly Chris, When you are at the yard you should grab a set. You will like em.
I tried them already. Like 3 days before you started selling them. I wasn't sold on them so I put my E23/4 ones back in.
Just curious.. What didnt you like about them?

Was it that they came from a saab?
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Manny D. wrote:
wkohler wrote:
Manny D. wrote:
wkohler wrote: I like the E23/4 ones myself. Hood opens plenty wide - and they're designed for a BMW!
The saab ones are the same opening length but open with alot less lifting, Actually none.

Honestly Chris, When you are at the yard you should grab a set. You will like em.
I tried them already. Like 3 days before you started selling them. I wasn't sold on them so I put my E23/4 ones back in.
Just curious.. What didnt you like about them?

Was it that they came from a saab?
Yep. You got it. Also, I don't like the hood opening too quickly.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

wkohler wrote:
Manny D. wrote:
wkohler wrote:
Manny D. wrote:
wkohler wrote: I like the E23/4 ones myself. Hood opens plenty wide - and they're designed for a BMW!
The saab ones are the same opening length but open with alot less lifting, Actually none.

Honestly Chris, When you are at the yard you should grab a set. You will like em.
I tried them already. Like 3 days before you started selling them. I wasn't sold on them so I put my E23/4 ones back in.
Just curious.. What didnt you like about them?

Was it that they came from a saab?
Yep. You got it. Also, I don't like the hood opening too quickly.
x2
jw767
Posts: 85
Joined: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Indianapolis

Post by jw767 »

Why is there so much critisism here? I think ROCKETS "leaux" ass car is cool, although I wouldn't slam mine that far. And I think a reverse hood on a E28 would be cool too even though I wouldn't spend the time to do it on my own car. Whether I dont want it for my own car is beside the point... The first time I posted on this site, I got blasted for what wheel/tire combo I like on MY ride. You guys that like your cars a little more plain dont catch hell for it.. To each there own.
Coldswede
Posts: 6859
Joined: Oct 10, 2008
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

I'm not "Blasting" anyone, I've had both opening styles. The E23 was great working on but I didn't ever have to get into the radiator area, AC would have been hard I think. The E28 system is much simpler and lighter, I suppose that is why it was adapted.

Folks here tend to be conservative in their body mods, but then e28's are pretty awesome stock so I can understand that. (Hell, I endorse it)

If you want to to make your hood tip to the front ... Do it. It's like the Great Mono-Wiper debate, some will love it some will hate it. But if you do a workman like job everyone will respect it. :up:
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22378
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

jw767 wrote:You guys that like your cars a little more plain dont catch hell for it.. To each there own.
To each where own? :dunno:

There's a difference between being non-plain and ridiculous-looking. Understand that?
Scottinva
Posts: 3663
Joined: Dec 07, 2008
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Post by Scottinva »

Shawn D. wrote:
jw767 wrote:You guys that like your cars a little more plain dont catch hell for it.. To each there own.
To each where own? :dunno:

There's a difference between being non-plain and ridiculous-looking. Understand that?
I agree.
jw767
Posts: 85
Joined: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Indianapolis

Post by jw767 »

Sorry..to each THEIR own. Meaning if someone likes their stuff different than the way you like yours, get off their back..understand? And since you weren't clear either, what exactly is ridiculous looking? The lowrider or the reverse hood?
Scottinva
Posts: 3663
Joined: Dec 07, 2008
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Post by Scottinva »

jw767 wrote:Sorry..to each THEIR own. Meaning if someone likes their stuff different than the way you like yours, get off their back..understand? And since you weren't clear either, what exactly is ridiculous looking? The lowrider or the reverse hood?
The reverse hood, is completely stupid. It would be ugly, a waste of time and money, and if anything, it would just get in the way. The lowered car, has disadvantages but it actually has an upside, for him its aesthetics, and better handling. I'd rather see oil pans scraping the ground than a reverse hood on an e28.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Uhhh, having the car an inch or so from the ground doesn't make it handle better. The suspension geometry was designed a certain way.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22378
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

Shawn D. wrote:
jw767 wrote:You guys that like your cars a little more plain dont catch hell for it.. To each there own.
To each where own? :dunno:

There's a difference between being non-plain and ridiculous-looking. Understand that?
jw767 wrote:Sorry..to each THEIR own. Meaning if someone likes their stuff different than the way you like yours, get off their back..understand? And since you weren't clear either, what exactly is ridiculous looking? The lowrider or the reverse hood?
You (and others) need to quit trying to foist absolutist statements on folks. Nobody here has EVER said "If someone likes their stuff different than the way I like mine, that's bad." If I say a backwards-opening hood on an E28 is ridiculous, that is in no way equivalent to saying that anything different is bad. Do you think that it's not possible to do a bad mod?
Scottinva
Posts: 3663
Joined: Dec 07, 2008
Location: Norfolk, Virginia

Post by Scottinva »

wkohler wrote:Uhhh, having the car an inch or so from the ground doesn't make it handle better. The suspension geometry was designed a certain way.
An inch of the ground, his car isn't that extreme. Ya well you take a stock suspension bmw with the suspension the "correct" way, and race it against mine on like an autocross. We'll see who handles better.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Re: Backwards Hood on E28?

Post by a »

z3ro725 wrote:Has anybody or do you know of anybody who has converted the E28 hood to open in reverse like pretty much every other bmw out there?
No, I've been wanting to do this since I 1st got my 528e . Its been like 2 months since you posted ,do you have any pics of your cool hood ?
chuck n san diego
Posts: 297
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by chuck n san diego »

Mike W. wrote:As someone who has owned multiple E's 3, 12, 21, 23, and 24, I would say an E28 already has a backwards hood. ;)

(and that's a minimum of 2 each of the above :shock: )

The best answer so far

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22378
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

Scottinva wrote:Ya well you take a stock suspension bmw with the suspension the "correct" way, and race it against mine on like an autocross. We'll see who handles better.
Ya well you bring your car to 5er Fest and show us what's what. ;)
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

Scottinva wrote:
wkohler wrote:Uhhh, having the car an inch or so from the ground doesn't make it handle better. The suspension geometry was designed a certain way.
An inch of the ground, his car isn't that extreme. Ya well you take a stock suspension bmw with the suspension the "correct" way, and race it against mine on like an autocross. We'll see who handles better.
Ill take that as a challenge ;)
jw767
Posts: 85
Joined: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Indianapolis

Post by jw767 »

Image[/img]
Thats a bad mod.
Coldswede
Posts: 6859
Joined: Oct 10, 2008
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

Thats a bad mod
I'm, I'm just speechless and not in a good way
Brad D.
Posts: 10735
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Post by Brad D. »

Wow.
tn535i
Posts: 5590
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee

Post by tn535i »

jw767, I saw that once before many years ago, did not need to see it again.

As far as the hood goes, if you want to be really different why not make the trunk open clamshell to match the hood!
Brad D.
Posts: 10735
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Post by Brad D. »

The split hood is where it's at.
Image
Image
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Big Bronze Rim wrote:The split hood is where it's at.
Only if it hinges in the middle, though. ;)
jw767
Posts: 85
Joined: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Indianapolis

Post by jw767 »

Image
Image
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

wkohler wrote:
Big Bronze Rim wrote:The split hood is where it's at.
Only if it hinges in the middle, though. ;)
The Brits were ahead of their time, apparently.

Image
winfred
Posts: 2839
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: loserana

Post by winfred »

looks like the 6000sux from robocop :rofl:
jw767 wrote:Image[/img]
Thats a bad mod.
MrNic3Guy
Posts: 925
Joined: Dec 15, 2008
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by MrNic3Guy »

:down:
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

It's ricer-ific!
Post Reply