SOT/BMW related: Always kiss your wife/so goodbye

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
RonP
Posts: 3581
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sunset Beach, California
Contact:

Post by RonP »

WOW! I want to thank each and every one of you guys that sent all of the kind words and prayers. Kimberly came home from the hospital today and she is doing fine. I can't believe she isn't hurting at all. She has a HUGE (about six inches) scar on her head and multiple cuts and bruises. She is such a trooper!

On another note, I went over to take some pictures of the car and I left the friggin battery for the camera at home, so I will try again tomorrow. It was pretty depressing looking at what was once a pretty bad ass car. After examining it a little more, I was able to determine that the concrete light standard actually crashed on to the car after she hit it. I will get detailed pics and post them up for you all to see what a great sacrifice this wonderful automobile took to save a life of my cherished wife.

So, sorry...more later, but thanks again to all the wonderful people that responded to this post. You guys are absolutely the best and I am thankful to have such a great group behind me for support.

Warm regards,
Ron
John SCB
Posts: 1872
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SoCal, on the Beach.

Post by John SCB »

Ron,
Very sorry to hear about this accident! The car is just a car, there will always be another one (especially with the way you pick 'em up). But there's no replacing a loving spouse....especially yours. So very glad to hear she's going to be okay.
John
bmw4aaron
Posts: 1261
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Fishersville, VA
Contact:

Post by bmw4aaron »

skip535i wrote: I'm getting married in 10 days so I can really relate to your statement, "I don't know what I'd do without her."
Beating me by 15 days! ;) Congrats
Jeff B.
Posts: 183
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Diego

Post by Jeff B. »

Ron,

I'm so glad Kimberly is OK. Just when you think you have things under control, life kicks you in the ass and makes you get your priorities straight.

Tell Kim she can't borrow my car!
dinanm3atl
Posts: 785
Joined: Apr 08, 2008

Post by dinanm3atl »

Just glad to hear she is ok!
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

My plans to steal this car are now foiled!!! Crap!!!
:lol:

Ron, I'm really glad you wife is OK and I look forward to meeting you guys this summer. I don't know if I can look at her the same after what she's done though! ;)

That kind of thing can happen to anyone in an instant. I've had nightmares where something happens to my (future) wife and I don't know what I'd do... :(
RetiredDoc
Posts: 1319
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Aiken SC

Post by RetiredDoc »

Be careful what you post.

The legal eagles might claw onto your wife's excitement to be out with her friends to file suit against her.

To call her the consummate car gal might lead to accusations about her speeding and causing an accident.

Just because she is injured doesn't mean she isn't at fault and can't be sued for millions.

Take care.
RetiredDoc
Posts: 1319
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Aiken SC

Post by RetiredDoc »

rlomba8204 wrote:Thank God, Ron.

You are very right. When these things happen, it reminds us that most of the "stuff" we worry about is all BS and horseshit. These episodes help focus us on this important, but easily overlooked, fact.
It makes us all appreciate the brief time we have on earth.

What we offer to our future is a memory of us.
Mike W.
Posts: 27991
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

First off, I'm glad she's doing well, but it could still be a while until she's fully recovered, don't let the lack of obvious injuries make you think it's minor, it might not be.

I can sympathize with you, I've gotten that call before myself. It was a helpful bystander, before cellphones were common and the call was kind of strange, I didn't even know if it was a crank or legitimate, but it scared the crap out of me. Driving up to the hospital 20 miles away trying to keep it under 80, knowing getting a ticket wouldn't help any, but wanting to just fly. Head on against a Volvo, not a scratch on her and she was off work 6 weeks. Accidents can be tough on bodies.

But the important thing is I'm glad she's doing well!!! But damn, that's a lousy phone call to get.
M5ZEALOT
Posts: 1271
Joined: Aug 14, 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

Post by M5ZEALOT »

Glad your wife is going to be ok Ron. I met her briefly at St. Patty's day meet and I could tell she is a car nut too! When things settle down please tell us how this happened and maybe have some safety info for the veteran and junior drivers in the forum!

BTW, even though my E28 has no airbags or side curtains I still feel very safe and confindent in BMWs safety engineering. All you have to see are some of the mangled E28s at the junkyard with massive frontal damage but all doors still opened!
doug
Posts: 1388
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Pacific Grove, CA

Post by doug »

So glad things are looking good for your wife when it could so easily have turned out otherwise. Your sentiments are touching and say a lot about you. Sounds like your wife is lucky she's got a husband who appreciates her.

Thanks for the reminder. Hopefully the rest of us can get some of the benefit that can come from these 'attitude adjustments' without having to go through the shock and fear.

Nice car, by the way. May it rest in pieces. :cry:
RonP
Posts: 3581
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sunset Beach, California
Contact:

Post by RonP »

Here are some UGLY photos of the car:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
m-racer
Posts: 5274
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay Florida

Post by m-racer »

Ron, That's awful. I hope Kim continues to progress well with no ill effects. Any idea why the airbag did not deploy?
RonP
Posts: 3581
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sunset Beach, California
Contact:

Post by RonP »

Ron, That's awful. I hope Kim continues to progress well with no ill effects. Any idea why the airbag did not deploy?
Thanks Tim! She can't walk very well and is extremely sore. I think the reason the airbag didn't deploy is that the car first backed into the curb and then hit the pole. I believe the sensors for the airbags are in the front of the car under the hood. Given the lack of space on the driver's side, I am kinda glad they didn't go off! You can see the roof and the trunk where the pole fell and hit the car!
Justin_FL
MyE28 IT Guru
MyE28 IT Guru
Posts: 2838
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Palm Beach
Contact:

Post by Justin_FL »

Wow, that was nasty hit. Glad she is OK without serious bodily injury. Did this car have side airbags and the head airbags? Thank god she was not driving one of your older BMWs, especially an E30 convertible, as that is a rather vulnerable area to take a hit.

While I'm not looking forward to any accidents, seeing the carnage of modern-era BMWs does validate my decision to get an E39 for my daily commuting.

Best wishes to her on the recovery front, hopefully her spine/neck didn't sustain irreparable soft-tissue damage. After living with issues since my wreck from 3 years ago, it's not always fun.
Kenny Blankenship
Posts: 4942
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: NNV

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Wow, I remember seeing that nice car a few weeks ago, that's a terrible crash. Where did this happen?

My thoughts go to you, Kim and your family. Kim is a wonderful person, she's always so nice to me for some reason :) Take care of her.
wkohler
Posts: 50941
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

:shock: That's something! Glad she was in a BMW, though.
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

Oh My God! Thankfully she was not driving a lesser car....

The E38 is as close to the proverbial tank as you can get IMO, save for the Mercedes W126....
Philo
Posts: 2283
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA

Post by Philo »

Wow ! Ron, just picked up on this thread. Hope Kimberly is OK. Sounds like she is.., which is great. If she had been in the e30..., well.., let's just say it's good that she wasn't.

Sorry about the ride..
RobbieR
Posts: 1608
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Woodstock, GA

Post by RobbieR »

Thank goodness it wasn't worse, Ron. That car certainly held up extremely well on the driver side.

I hope she gets well soon!
Mike W.
Posts: 27991
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

Wow, that was quite a hit. Take good care of her, Kim is going to be hurting for a while. Accidents can be funny, you can be "all beat up" as a friend used to phrase it, and be without a mark. "Soft tissue damage" is no joke.
Post Reply