E28 pic on Wikipedia

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
DMNaskale
Posts: 1686
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay USA

Post by DMNaskale »

Soco wrote:Now there isn't a shot of a US car at all...
You say that like it is a bad thing.
Soco
Posts: 1320
Joined: Jun 01, 2006
Location: Annapolis, MD

Post by Soco »

you know, I was really going to bite my tounge, but you guys really suck the proverbial dick of the European market cars. Like, I swear you guys (and by guys I mean the "purists who hate on American bumpers every chance they get, Its not everyone on this board) actually get turned on by those thin metal jokes they call bumpers.

I personally think that a car with euro lights and american bumpers is sexy, and done right is the nicest combination.

Sorry, I just hate it when people make an opinion and firmly believe that everyone else in the world is crazy for thinking otherwise. My aunt joined one of those groups, its called a cult.
wkohler
Posts: 50941
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

The US bumper and Euro light combination is a nice one.

Really, the US-bumpered E28 is a completely different looking car than it's European-spec counterpart. I prefer the cleaner lines of the Euro car, though, which is why I went through the effort of "converting" mine. The US 535is and M5 have an interesting, almost menacing look about them, but God intended the E28 to look as the rest of the world received them.

As for the bumpers functionality in an accident, I can safely argue that the damage might not have been as severe on my 533 if I was running the Euro bumper or no bumper at all. The bumper shocks protruding so far into the frame rail brought the front of the car over 7 inches. Just food for thought. Also, considering the shock-absorption component of the US bumper is at the very least 20-years-old (if no previous altercations warranted replacement), and probably will not amount to a whole lot if called upon for duty.
DMNaskale
Posts: 1686
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay USA

Post by DMNaskale »

Soco wrote:you know, I was really going to bite my tounge, but you guys really suck the proverbial dick of the European market cars. Like, I swear you guys (and by guys I mean the "purists who hate on American bumpers every chance they get, Its not everyone on this board) actually get turned on by those thin metal jokes they call bumpers.

I personally think that a car with euro lights and american bumpers is sexy, and done right is the nicest combination.

Sorry, I just hate it when people make an opinion and firmly believe that everyone else in the world is crazy for thinking otherwise. My aunt joined one of those groups, its called a cult.
You are taking the fact that other people have their own opinions way too personally. I for one have never sucked a Eurocar cock, I was not even aware they were so equipped. I will admit to occasionally getting the slightest vestige of a chubby when looking at certain red Italian cars of the most alluring vintages. This message board may be the closest I have ever come to being a member of a cult. If a cult ever forms based around my own peculiar fetishes and passions I will gladly sign up, but most likely I will remain a cult of 1.

You are free to love on the US car bumpers all you like, and I will think non the less of you for it, and will never accuse you of automotive fornication. I will never agree with your view, for in my eyes it is an entirely black and white distinction. My opinion is that the Euro cars look like they are supposed to, elegant and proportional, and the US cars look like shit in comparison.

It is entirely possible to set up a US car to make the most of its aesthetic burdens, and the 535is airdam was an excellent example of the factory doing this, but I will always think the car could still be improved with a conversion to Euro bumpers. I still like the US cars, and I don't look away in horror or think less of the owners or the fine work they have done in making the most of their cars. There are plenty of outstandingly cared for and modified US bumpered cars out there that I would love to own, I would just immediately convert them as soon as the ink was dry on the title. And I don't blame anyone for not wanting to perform the modifications, I know it is not as important to everyone as it is to me. But I always encourage the scrapping of the US bumpers for anyone so inclined.

I won't apologize for openly hating what is essentially a legislative blight on aesthetic grace, it has long been a pet peeve of mine. And the E28 is hardly the only car so affected. Many of my favorite old cars were fouled up by the fools who forced these changes upon the market. But don't think that my strong feelings on this issue mean I think less of you as a fellow enthusiast, it just means that we see this issue from different perspectives.
WVe28
Posts: 2137
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Charleston, WV

Post by WVe28 »

DMNaskale wrote: I for one have never sucked a Eurocar cock
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That made me spit my coffee out! You've been signatured! :laugh:
Post Reply