Euro Conversion Under Way - new pictures (02.20.08)!

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
ChefShawn
Posts: 2653
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: 94952 Petaluma CA.

Post by ChefShawn »

AWESOME!!!! :banana: :alright: :banana: :alright: 8) 8) 8) 8)

I need to finish my front end now!!!! :roll:

Image
wkohler
Posts: 50941
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Wow. Thanks for all of the positive comments. I was interested to see how stable the car was with the different airdam. Trouble was I had been driving the Volvo for the last few days and got used to it, and before that, I drove Josh in Atlanta's Euro 535, which is much faster than my car, so I really can't comment.

I need to get the plate holder. Then the plate on the Volvo will come over to the E28 thanks to Ray and his extra Euro plate frame. I've been trying to get a Swedish plate for the Volvo, but can't find one, so screw it.

I just cut clearance holes in the valance since upon disassembly of the US parts, I discovered this car has been in a skirmish or two, what with a DOT-R rear bumper, a front bumper with a completely different VIN, and the bent-to-hell- US valance. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason it's there is to give me piece between the core support and the bumper as well as a place on the side to anchor the bumper to. This car will be getting paint at some point in the future - hopefully not too distant. Good paint, too - windows out, etc. At that point, I'll get the proper Euro valance.

Here's the problem with the spoiler:

When using the BMW brackets for the Euro bumpers (which believe it or not are easily adaptable to the US frame rail extensions - cut a channel in the center of each large enough for the bolt - don't bother with that hole-drilling crap, since you really can't get the hole straight on in the right spot - even with the foot-long drill bit recommended in the write-up on M535i.org. Do it this way and your life becomes a whole-lot easier.), they don't clear the spoiler in two spots. The top, which crosses the opening in the valance. Also, the space between the opening for the fog lamps and the opening for the oil cooler is too wide, as it actually infringes upon the frame rail. Mark it and cut it. Unfortunately, I did a series of cuts since every time, the brackets would interfere in a different spot. No biggie, as they'll be covered with the plastic trim which sits between the fog lamp and the oil cooler opening.
johnnye23
Posts: 5059
Joined: Sep 27, 2006
Location: Auburn Ca
Contact:

Post by johnnye23 »

Chris,I know it was some work . But wow your car looks great . I hope you are keeping a photo journal of the work you did . Again nice job. :banana:
grahamular
Posts: 1717
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Post by grahamular »

Looks good!
wkohler
Posts: 50941
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Installed the turn signals and foglamps today. Who would have thought they'd use the same color wire for US and Euro cars? Huh.

Image

My uncle stopped by with his '71 911E just as I finished, so here's a shot of the two red cars:

Image
JoshInAtlanta
Posts: 4434
Joined: Apr 22, 2006
Location: Holly Springs, GA

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

Looks real good!
Dinan e28
Posts: 3343
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Portland Oregon
Contact:

Post by Dinan e28 »

Looks good Chris, what was the fitment problem with the Hartgre Spoiler? I looked at mine and it looked a little off (tight)around the turn signals .That spoiler looks good in red , I wanted the original design for my car, though. (PM me if you want)
As you know I'm using euro frame rails, with a late euro valance all new, so It should all turn out OK.
My Hartge will look like this one.Image
PS I'm really starting to like red e28s
C.J.
Posts: 3915
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Orange County, CA

Post by C.J. »

Damn, I really should do the conversion to Ratty someday.
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

Looking good Chris, that Hartge look is damn nice....

Have you considered doing the clear turns? I think that might look cool too.With the white/clear fogs and then keeping the same line for the turns that compliments the line of the bumpers..I know I am going to do that on my black 535 after I do the euro conversion to it.

Just square away the front license area and do your windshield lockstrip, and BAM!!! :up:

Jay3
B_Newman
Posts: 936
Joined: Feb 15, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Post by B_Newman »

Looks great.

You need a euro plate though, but what you really need is the orange license plate frame when you get your plate. :D
wkohler
Posts: 50941
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

New bumper rubber, the plate bracket and the black coverings that go between the fogs and the oil cooler opening were ordered today from Max.

I thought about the clear turn lenses, since there's a car in the UK that had them. I'm still torn on the idea.

Lockstrips will be done when the car is painted and the windshield is replaced. Who knows when that will be. I have plenty of money for a kick-ass paint job though.

I'm on the lookout for an orange plate frame. ;)
wkohler
Posts: 50941
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

The fitment issue with the Hartge spoiler was pretty much limited to the stock bumper brackets. I also haven't seen anyone else using the plain spoiler, so I don't know if it's just a factor with it. Some trimming needs to be done. Essentially cut out the very top where it crosses the opening in the valance and do some trimming next to where the foglamps sit.

The lamps fit in the spoiler fine, but a piece is added in where the mounting tabs for the turn signal should go. The center section of this must be cut out to allow for the ribbing on the backside of the turn signal to fit into the spoiler. Other than those issues, it's fine. It looks good and the fiberglass work is quite good. It is much thicker and has a better flex capability than the BMP kit, if that says anything.

I can't stress enough the importance of doing all of the fitment work before sending the spoiler in for paint, though. You can make some very expensive mistakes.
DaRedRocket
Posts: 4285
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Post by DaRedRocket »

So I see the wiring and everything went well ;)

Looks good Chris! Now you just have to get those white inserts for the US trim out 8)
wkohler
Posts: 50941
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

1985bmw535i wrote:So I see the wiring and everything went well ;)

Looks good Chris! Now you just have to get those white inserts for the US trim out 8)
Yeah, I was an idiot and put the bumper on. You'd almost think I wanted to get finished.

Once I get the big box of crap that goes with the Euro lights, I'll work on getting the city lights wired up. I decided to do the whole Euro thing.
alpinass
Posts: 2979
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA>

Glad

Post by alpinass »

to hear it fit.

IT LOOKS awesome! IT makes your arrest me RED E28! The plain HARTGE front spoiler was a completely different mold. I know Ross and a could other guys used Hartge #2 with cut outs - YOu have to remove the rubber around the euro directionals and they fit fine.

Chris - Lets talk so I can have my fiberglass make some adjustments in the plain Hartge spoiler.

Regards,
paul
wkohler
Posts: 50941
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

For the record, the directionals and fogs fit no problem. The only issue with fitment was trimming the lay-in piece by trimming out the center (not an easy task since it could break, crack and transmit vibration throughout the spoiler). Once that was cut out, there were no issues.

Paul, I'm replying to your message...
vlad-NJ
Posts: 139
Joined: Oct 23, 2007
Location: Marlboro, NJ

Post by vlad-NJ »

great project !
Post Reply