LCAI...that's right LOWE'S COLD AIR INTAKE

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
DMNaskale
Posts: 1686
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay USA

Post by DMNaskale »

C.R. Krieger wrote:Fortunately, that is on a Bronzit :puke: car. :laugh:
There is going to be a Bronzit Yugo with a missing spark plug waiting in hell for you, C.R..
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

DMNaskale wrote:
C.R. Krieger wrote:Fortunately, that is on a Bronzit :puke: car. :laugh:
There is going to be a Bronzit Yugo with a missing spark plug waiting in hell for you, C.R..
Something I'll be able to outrun with my yellow Fiat 128? :banana:


Image

Hey, look! There's Susan Dey! :alright:
muleskinner
Posts: 1346
Joined: Sep 08, 2007
Location: John Graham ATL

Post by muleskinner »

Well, I must say I've been following this thread with some amusement.

All I have to say at this point is that there are at least a couple of systems out there for sale (I'm not going to mention any names) at $180 and beyond that are, in fact, functionally the same as this. Both of these claim dyno proven HP and torque increases of between 6 and 9.

I should also mention to the doubters I've gotten 2 PMs from long time members of the board (who maybe didn't feel like getting into the debate publicly), one with an //M5, and one with an M30, both of whom told me they'd dyno'd their cars and confirmed the HP increase.

I've now isolated the cone, so it breathes only cold air.

In the end, the debate can go on....but my valve cover is beautifully displayed, it sounds great, makes the engine compartment look very decent (I took someone's tip above, and have a fresh, white coolant reservoir on the way) and I did it for about 25% of the price of one of the unnamed systems.

Image
Brad D.
Posts: 10735
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Post by Brad D. »

That should help and be a more functional now. The engine bay does look much cleaner with a CAI and if it is shielded well and functional, is worth the price of admission. The new coolant bottle will freshen things up and then all you need to do is get the little panel that covers up the center gap in the core support.
deadjudis
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 05, 2007
Location: Butler Pa

Post by deadjudis »

franken_e28 wrote:Amateurs. :roll:

my $350 race beater from 2006. (hit hard in the front and repaired)

Image

my $250 race beater from 2005. (hit hard in the back and not repaired)

Image
At least those hack job CAI's appear functional from a design aspect. They bring in cold "outside" air. Sticking a pipe down in your engine compartment you might as well hook it to you exhaust. Nothing but heat in there. If your gonna hack it up.... stick it outside. Good job on these 2.
franken_e28
Posts: 211
Joined: May 31, 2006

Post by franken_e28 »

muleskinner wrote:
I've now isolated the cone, so it breathes only cold air.

In the end, the debate can go on....but my valve cover is beautifully displayed, it sounds great, makes the engine compartment look very decent

Image
Hey, whatever floats your boat. Good job :up: on blocking off the heat a bit and doing it on the cheap. Now you might want to look into the cover that goes between the front and the radiator support. ;)

(p.s. BMW's aren't the only cars to receive the hood-hack treatment!)

Image

:laugh:
Post Reply