Bought the farm

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
vance
Posts: 1576
Joined: Aug 26, 2006
Location: Home of 5erFest 2009

Post by vance »

Awsome news Greg! My wife and I just placed a bid on a house today. I picked a heck of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Vance
GregATL
Posts: 792
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Appomattox Va

Post by GregATL »

mkarkos those are nice horses you've got. Looks like a nice place from the picures too. It's not a whole lot warmer in Virginia I don't think but every degree helps I suppose. Summers can be quite hot but after my time in Atlanta and Texas they don't seem terrible.

Vance, there's never a good time to stop sniffing glue. ;)

Steve, you gave me a great idea. The 3rd week of March, Plowfest 2008. Try your hand at planting crops. Refreshments provided.

C.R. you hit the nail on the head. My father in law offered up his Ford 8N with brush hog the day after we made the offer on the place. His neice and her husband have been borrowing it to mow their 2 acres for the last couple of years. He said he felt we needed it more than they did so he suggested that it was coming to our place. I don't think our riding mower (John Deere STX38) is up to the task. It would take forever to mow with that. As soon as you finished you'd have to start again.
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

Great news Greg! I can't wait to see the place.

Give me a call when you get a chance. I have some money for ya.
RetiredDoc
Posts: 1319
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Aiken SC

Post by RetiredDoc »

(no I don't normally wear a helmet but had to at that place. Kids always do)

Sounds like a wonderful farm you've found.

You should reconsider the riding helmet for yourself. Riding horses is dangerous, even in a ring or just trail riding. All it takes is a quick spook when you don't expect it, or a stumble.

In the past 15 years I've had three head injuries, one of which would have been fatal if not for the helmet.
David in Seattle
Posts: 250
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by David in Seattle »

Holy crap! I am SO jealous! That price *might* buy a trailer on 1/4 acre in a seedy part of town here...

Way to go! :banana:
alotawatts
Posts: 836
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: WA

Post by alotawatts »

David in Seattle wrote: That price *might* buy a trailer on 1/4 acre in a seedy part of town here...
Or if you are really lucky your very own Condominium !
May even include a commanding view of a parking lot.
scarey013
Posts: 391
Joined: Nov 13, 2006
Location: Formerly Phoenix, AZ

Post by scarey013 »

Congratulations Greg. It has always been a dream of mine to own a farm. Thank you for providing me with a little more incentive!
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

GregATL wrote:C.R. you hit the nail on the head. My father in law offered up his Ford 8N with brush hog the day after we made the offer on the place. His neice and her husband have been borrowing it to mow their 2 acres for the last couple of years. He said he felt we needed it more than they did so he suggested that it was coming to our place. I don't think our riding mower (John Deere STX38) is up to the task. It would take forever to mow with that. As soon as you finished you'd have to start again.
Sheee-it; you don't mow a lousy two acres with a Ford! A pasture, maybe. Paths through the woods, maybe. Give them your Deere and get yourself one with more power and a 48" or 54" deck. I used to have a 38" weenie (11 hp Murray) around my place for mowing about two acres. Increasing that deck width by ~25% and upping the horsepower by ~100% makes an amazing difference in mowing time.
GregATL
Posts: 792
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Appomattox Va

Post by GregATL »

We've been mowing 5 acres with the Deer. Takes about an hour per acre to do a good job. And yes I keep the blades sharp. I have 2 sets so when it's time I just swap them and then sharpen the other set at my leisure.
BMWCCA2
Posts: 4088
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Central Virginia

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Must be a small Deere. Mine is a 32x something with an in-line three-cylinder Yanmar gas (not diesel) engine, real radiator, shaft drive, full hydro transmission and 52" deck (I think). It mows half my 6-acre lot across the street if two hours if the grass is higher than the engine cover. Much less time if I've mowed within the past six months. It handles the acre around my house in minutes, but then it will go 30mph, too.
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

Get a Dixie Chopper 8)

I've mowed with a kabota tractor with a pto driven mower and that was extremely quick. I think you'll be fine with the tractor listed above.
Last edited by tsmall07 on Jan 15, 2008 12:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.
GregATL
Posts: 792
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Appomattox Va

Post by GregATL »

tsmall07 wrote:Get a Dixie Chopper 8)

I've mowed with a kabota tractor with a pto driven mower and that was extremely quick. I think you'll be fine with the tractor listed above.
We've confirmed with my father in law last summer that when he sells his Kubota 3430 HST we've got first shot. It has a front loader and backhoe plus a brush hog. He doesn't need it anymore and wants to get something a little smaller for gardening purposes. I think it was at my place once when you came by. He has too much equipment for 1 guy to use.

BMWCCA2 it sounds like your mower is a big step up from mine. Think 38" 12 hp belt driven and well used. It gets the job done but not in any hurry. It's been well maintained fortunately.
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

GregATL wrote:
tsmall07 wrote:Get a Dixie Chopper 8)

I've mowed with a kabota tractor with a pto driven mower and that was extremely quick. I think you'll be fine with the tractor listed above.
We've confirmed with my father in law last summer that when he sells his Kubota 3430 HST we've got first shot. It has a front loader and backhoe plus a brush hog.
Thats pretty much the same tractor that I used. I absolutely loved it. We tried to get it stuck a few times and couldn't. The diff lock it has works really well. 8)
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22379
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

Damn, I'm off the board for a few days and look at what happened! Congratulations!
Post Reply