Need advice on free e28

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
smootch
Posts: 557
Joined: Jul 08, 2006
Location: Roxborough, CO

Post by smootch »

My car is bronzit and it might not be my most favorite choice of color for an E28 but it's not all bad. It does look good with a shadowline and the Bronzit seems to change color under different lighting throughout the day.

Back to subject: Ron, I think you should take the car, it sounds like this friend wants you to have it and in the long run if it makes your friend happy then you will be happy as well.
.02
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

DiLLiGaF - IA wrote:Another thought would be to fix it up clean and solid (not concourse obviously) and then donating it to a charity in your friends name?
Then won't it just end up in a salvage yard? I've seen some pretty nice looking cars that were donated end up in yards for no apparent reason.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

BRRV wrote:So let me get this straight: Bronzit, which at the very least shouts 80's retro "Miami Vice" comparisons, is more boring than white ?
Obviously, you were not paying attention to "Miami Vice", the hour-long music video series starring Don Johnson. :roll:

There were never any earth-toned or 'warm color' cars on that show. Not brown. Not red. Not yellow. Not gold. Only silver, black, white, and blue. The same went for most interior shots. The producers intentionally wanted to make the program 'cold' and one way they did that was the subtle but intentional use of color to do it. The only time 'warm' colors appeared was as bright neons common to the region (like the flamingoes in the opening credits). In fact, along with the clever cameo appearances by everyone from Phil Collins to Frank Zappa to Ron Jeremy, that was the only way you could stand to watch it - by looking for those 'artistic' touches.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Oh, come on, C.R. - that show was amazing.

C.R. is correct, though. They needed contrasty colors, since a lot of it was filmed at night. When Ferrari of North America supplied a couple of redheads for them to use, they were black. Unfortunately, a black car with no highlights whatsoever doesn't show up at night, so they were repainted white to contrast with the night. I saw two Bronzit-like cars in the whole show. One particular drug-runner's AMG Mercedes and an FBI agent's Dodge Diplomat. Castillo's car was blue. There were several dark colored cars, but there were no yellow, but I think one red car in the whole show.

I really don't know why an '80s television show should be the reason to pick up a car that was never portrayed in it, though.
DMNaskale
Posts: 1686
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay USA

Post by DMNaskale »

C.R. Krieger wrote:
BRRV wrote:So let me get this straight: Bronzit, which at the very least shouts 80's retro "Miami Vice" comparisons, is more boring than white ?
Obviously, you were not paying attention to "Miami Vice", the hour-long music video series starring Don Johnson. :roll:

There were never any earth-toned or 'warm color' cars on that show. Not brown. Not red. Not yellow. Not gold. Only silver, black, white, and blue. The same went for most interior shots. The producers intentionally wanted to make the program 'cold' and one way they did that was the subtle but intentional use of color to do it. The only time 'warm' colors appeared was as bright neons common to the region (like the flamingoes in the opening credits). In fact, along with the clever cameo appearances by everyone from Phil Collins to Frank Zappa to Ron Jeremy, that was the only way you could stand to watch it - by looking for those 'artistic' touches.
Another stake through my heart, bagging on Bronzit and Miami Vice in the same thread. You sure seem to know all about it if you could barely stand to watch it, it is OK to admit you wore pink t-shirts and unstructured linen blazers back in the glorius 80's. I spent many a Friday night watching Miami Vice in my mid-teens, until I finally got a car and a girlfriend and found more entertaining ways to spend my time.
BRRV
Posts: 3163
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Pensacola, Gulf of America

Post by BRRV »

Oh, I don't know - while there were a lot of pastels and such on the show, after the first year there was less of it, as I recall. I'll rpeat: to me Bronzit just screams 80's retro - and nothing is more 80's retro than Miami Vice. As to whether that color or something like it actually shows up anywhere on the show, who cares? I wager that they showed at least one Champagne Porsche 911.

I was making a comparison about 80's retro, not necessarily about a specific "color scheme" embraced by an 80's TV show.

And you didn't address my original comment: Bronzit is more boring than white???? I own a white car. It may look classy, but it is in reality just a white car. And white is, usually, boring.
rodpaine
Posts: 1392
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: 55 miles west of D.C. in northern VA
Contact:

Post by rodpaine »

BRRV wrote:Snip... I own a white car. It may look classy, but it is in reality just a white car. And white is, usually, boring.
But, it is cool in the hot weather, which we greatly appreciate here in northern VA summers, when your car has been sitting in the parking lot all day at work. And white does look good on an E28, versus some cars where it really makes the car look awful. I would hardly call this boring!
My $0.02,
-Rod
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

DMNaskale wrote:Another stake through my heart, bagging on Bronzit and Miami Vice in the same thread. You sure seem to know all about it if you could barely stand to watch it, it is OK to admit you wore pink t-shirts and unstructured linen blazers back in the glorius 80's.
:oops: Of course I did! :laugh: I had a whole spectrum of colors of those jackets all the way from white to royal blue. But no 'warm' colors. ;)
I spent many a Friday night watching Miami Vice in my mid-teens, until I finally got a car and a girlfriend and found more entertaining ways to spend my time.
I was married for 7 years and in law school by then. The wife hated it, but I watched it for what it was - an hour long music video with about as much plot as "Thriller". I never said I didn't like it. I just said that Michael Mann would die before he would put Tubbs & Crockett into a Bronzit BMW. 8)
BRRV wrote:And you didn't address my original comment: Bronzit is more boring than white???? I own a white car. It may look classy, but it is in reality just a white car. And white is, usually, boring.
'Usually' being the operative word. Do you happen to remember a white 635 in "Vice"? I do. Monochromed all the way. White grilles even. Not boring by any means (even though the morons painted the kidneys :evil:).

All white cars may seem boring to the nondiscriminating, but an enthusiast will spot the good ones. A white 'is is a good one because you know what's underneath and it has those external touches that set it apart (which, since even BMW agreed that Bronzit was too boring to be used on a 'sporting sedan', you will never see on a Bronzit car unless someone puts them on there ;) ). A little of this, at least, comes from the years I spent with t.c. kline's race teams. T.C. happens to love the color white. His cars were always as much as possible (given sponsor demands) white as were and are his tow and support vehicles and he prefers that everyone working for his team wear white (a practical impossibility, but we still got a bunch of white shirts schmutzig wearing our blue jeans). I guess it kind of rubbed off.

Some colors are striking regardless of the car (Zinnoberot, of course) while some are striking because of the car (Alpinweiß). Finally, some (like Bronzit) can only be striking if they are Perfect.
davestlouis
Posts: 649
Joined: May 22, 2007
Location: Lake St. Louis, MO

Post by davestlouis »

My Bronzit car changes color as you walk around it, because panels have been painted at different times and are decaying/fading/peeling at different rates, sort of like chameleon pearl paint, only different.

And by the way, I was born in 1966, was in high school in the early 80's and have, to this day, never seen Miami Vice. Not a single episode.
Post Reply