-10 respect points for police yet again

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

skip535i wrote:B Newman...

Have you ever been pulled over and really railed on by a "dick" cop? It's not pleasant, and it's plenty enough to make you upset. BimmerGuy isn't making a big deal about it, he's just pissed off that the "serve and protect" heroes are often times just big assholes.

He got a big dose of it, and I often do here in my small hometown. It's a totally humiliating/infuriating experience...and I think that we should be allowed to be mad.

All you are trying to do is make excuses for people (in this case - police) who do a poor job at what they do. Seems pretty lame to me.
Skip-
I consider you one of the good guys here, and so is Brett. Brett is not making any assumptions, or excuses, for anyone. All he is saying is that no one, including you, knows exactly what happened as we all perceive things differently. Even if things happened exactly as described, which is certainly possible, it is not fair to throw all police officers into the same group, i.e., rude, unprofessional, dickheads.

A couple of thoughts here, and then I will leave this one alone:

First, Rick is 100% correct. Driving is a privilege. If you want to avoid encounters with the police, obey the law. If there's any doubt on what it says, check before you drive. That's not to say the police should be dicks to you -- they shouldn't -- but the world isn't a perfect place and the best way to deal with that fact is to bear it in mind and steer clear of trouble in this first instance, not behave in a way that leaves you exposed to such conduct and then complain about it after the fact.

Second, if you are pulled over for any reason, never, ever give the cop an attitude. Besides the fact that you always want to behave in an upstanding fashion if you have any self-respect, you also increase your chances at getting out of whatever situation you've gotten yourself into. And if the officer is unprofessional, and you want to take it up with his or her superiors, if you don't, for example, get yourself arrested during the traffic stop you might actually have a better chance at having the officer corrected by his or her superiors.

Finally, to the original poster: don't take any of this as a jab at your honesty in describing the incident. One of the things that you learn when you are in my line of work is that two people in the same place, seeing the same thing, can have radically different perspectives on what happened, and neither is lying in the sense of intentionally distorting what happened. We all "see" things through the lens of our experience, prejudices, and temperament.
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

skip535i wrote:B Newman...

Have you ever been pulled over and really railed on by a "dick" cop? It's not pleasant, and it's plenty enough to make you upset. BimmerGuy isn't making a big deal about it, he's just pissed off that the "serve and protect" heroes are often times just big assholes.

He got a big dose of it, and I often do here in my small hometown. It's a totally humiliating/infuriating experience...and I think that we should be allowed to be mad.

All you are trying to do is make excuses for people (in this case - police) who do a poor job at what they do. Seems pretty lame to me.
THANK YOU skip

I wasnt ticketed, he didnt cut me a break newman, he doesnt have to "enforce" some stupid laws all the time, the cop was just a douche, end of story. ANY understanding person says "hey they just went to pick up the car and its too late to register it, okay just drive home carefully".
There are nice cops out there who have pulled me over for no front plate but then we end up talking about cars for like an hour on the side of the road just because they are cool people to hang around. THAT is how cops need to act, friendly and not hostile.
There is a reason, and im not being racist, just stating facts, why African Americans in areas like Los Angeles hate police and why songs in the rap music industry talk about not liking cops, because they are harassed by police, solely on the fact that the officer doesn't like the way you dress, wear your hair, or by the color of your skin.
There is a line between a good person wanting to serve the community and help curb crime for the sake of goodness, and a person who was bullied throughout highschool and takes it out on everyone else, that particular cop was the latter.

I handled myself in a respectable manner like i do every time i get pulled over, only reason to raise your voice would be to counter a bad cops attitude. More like a crooked cop who would love to get away with beating someone and not get caught.

Ive been the victim, yes a victim of many bad cops, ever get thrown to the ground and have your face buried in the concrete because the cop approaches you in public because he thinks your cell phone is a gun? was it necessary for the cop to do that? NO.

There is no "other side" to the story once again, its just what happened. Total unwarranted douchebaggery brought to you by those who serve and protect.

Funny cause when i crashed my car the cop didnt even ask me how i was, he assumed i was doing something stupid immediately.
skip535i
Posts: 5186
Joined: Oct 26, 2006
Location: Lynchburg, VA

Post by skip535i »

Brett...

I also have been able to make the best out of a situation when a cop came out strong at me. I've just been easy going and good mannered and then eventually the cop quit his attitude. I have also been pulled over by cops who were polite and curteous off the bat and the entire exchange (ticket or not) was pleasant.

OTOH, there are cops who are just egotistical and on a power trip. I don't give a damn if they're having a bad day. I'm having a bad day, I'M LATE, THAT'S WHY I'M SPEEDING! Should I not get a ticket because I'm having a bad day? Seems like you're just defending them to defend them.

Whatever....

Matt had a run-in with a Dick cop and that cop has just as much of a right to be reprimanded as Matt does to be ticketed.
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

rlomba8204 wrote:
Finally, to the original poster: don't take any of this as a jab at your honesty in describing the incident. One of the things that you learn when you are in my line of work is that two people in the same place, seeing the same thing, can have radically different perspectives on what happened, and neither is lying in the sense of intentionally distorting what happened. We all "see" things through the lens of our experience, prejudices, and temperament.
nope wrong, i see things through an unbiased opinion. others are just morons.
There is no such thing as two sides to the story, its only what happened, however the thing is idiots can see something differently and people who lie.
What would i gain out of not posting entirely what happened? I dont want peoples sympathy, im telling a story about another corrupt cop who needs to be put away for life and made an example of.
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

Bimmerguy2002 wrote: nope wrong, i see things through an unbiased opinion. others are just morons.
There is no such thing as two sides to the story, its only what happened, however the thing is idiots can see something differently and people who lie.
What would i gain out of not posting entirely what happened? I dont want peoples sympathy, im telling a story about another corrupt cop who needs to be put away for life and made an example of.
I retract my statement about your honesty. Not only are you likely dishonest, but you are also a fool. That's a dangerous, and an unfortunate, combination.
Last edited by rlomba8204 on Dec 04, 2007 2:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.
B_Newman
Posts: 936
Joined: Feb 15, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Post by B_Newman »

skip535i wrote:Brett...

OTOH, there are cops who are just egotistical and on a power trip. I don't give a damn if they're having a bad day. I'm having a bad day, I'M LATE, THAT'S WHY I'M SPEEDING! Should I not get a ticket because I'm having a bad day? Seems like you're just defending them to defend them.

Whatever....

Matt had a run-in with a Dick cop and that cop has just as much of a right to be reprimanded as Matt does to be ticketed.
Sometimes a cop will cut you a break, and understand you are having a bad day. It's happened to me before. I am not defending the guy; I was not there. I am interpreting what was put before me, and I believe forgiveness and some understanding is key. Look at some of the positives of the situation, or the negatives will just leave you tired, pissed off, and raging.

Look at the bright side, Matt was inconvenienced and he doesn't have to pay any fines or go to court.
skip535i
Posts: 5186
Joined: Oct 26, 2006
Location: Lynchburg, VA

Post by skip535i »

B_Newman wrote:Look at the bright side, Matt was inconvenienced and he doesn't have to pay any fines or go to court.
Touche!
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Quit bitching. You should have made sure everything was in order before you picked up the car. You're dealing with something that involves the State of California. It's not like buying an orange or a thigh-master from Craigslist. It's a damn car. If you knew you were going to buy it, you should have called the insurance company and transferred coverage. I did that before I bought the 535. I drove it home on the California tags - which weren't expired. If the tags are expired get a temp. It's not expensive. Is it a hassle? Yeah, but you won't have to come here bitching about some unfair mistreatment and perhaps exaggerating what happened.

I received a ticket for speeding once. The officer yelled at me. He had a right to - after all he's the one that has to deal with an incident caused by my stupidity if one should happen to occur. I was also pulled over for expired tags and no insurance (the tags were 5 years old and the newest insurance card I could find was from 94 - this was in 2005). Everything really was current - just in a drawer somewhere. The officer pulled me over - after following me for a while to see if I would be a douchebag and he as very cordial. I'm willing to bet you provoked him. Hell, you've done it enough here.

It's not the officer's fault you failed to properly prepare to take delivery of your car. Laws are laws and their job is to enforce them - whether or not they're just (adjective describing laws) laws is another issue.
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

wkohler wrote:Quit bitching. You should have made sure everything was in order before you picked up the car. You're dealing with something that involves the State of California. It's not like buying an orange or a thigh-master from Craigslist. It's a damn car. If you knew you were going to buy it, you should have called the insurance company and transferred coverage. I did that before I bought the 535. I drove it home on the California tags - which weren't expired. If the tags are expired get a temp. It's not expensive. Is it a hassle? Yeah, but you won't have to come here bitching about some unfair mistreatment and perhaps exaggerating what happened.

I received a ticket for speeding once. The officer yelled at me. He had a right to - after all he's the one that has to deal with an incident caused by my stupidity if one should happen to occur. I was also pulled over for expired tags and no insurance (the tags were 5 years old and the newest insurance card I could find was from 94 - this was in 2005). Everything really was current - just in a drawer somewhere. The officer pulled me over - after following me for a while to see if I would be a douchebag and he as very cordial. I'm willing to bet you provoked him. Hell, you've done it enough here.

It's not the officer's fault you failed to properly prepare to take delivery of your car. Laws are laws and their job is to enforce them - whether or not they're just (adjective describing laws) laws is another issue.
how did i provoke him if he started yelling when i rolled down my window? did i not roll it down fast enough? should i sue BMW for making it too slow?
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

Thanks God SEB is back... :roll:
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

rlomba8204 wrote:
Bimmerguy2002 wrote: nope wrong, i see things through an unbiased opinion. others are just morons.
There is no such thing as two sides to the story, its only what happened, however the thing is idiots can see something differently and people who lie.
What would i gain out of not posting entirely what happened? I dont want peoples sympathy, im telling a story about another corrupt cop who needs to be put away for life and made an example of.
I retract my statement about your honesty. Not only are you likely dishonest, but you are also a fool. That's a dangerous, and an unfortunate, combination.
how am i dishonest? tell me, why would i lie to make it to my advantage? thats stupid. How is being better than an idiot being a "fool"? lol
i know all about manipulation and using psychology so dont even give me that "you would tell a lie so it makes you seem like the victim". I already took in account your possible responses so save your breath. You are obviously a white supremacist if you think i was lying.
Until you have been physically attacked by police for no reason, then shut up.
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

booker wrote:Thanks God SEB is back... :roll:
and how!
B_Newman
Posts: 936
Joined: Feb 15, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Post by B_Newman »

Bimmerguy2002 wrote:
THANK YOU skip

I wasnt ticketed, he didnt cut me a break newman, he doesnt have to "enforce" some stupid laws all the time, the cop was just a douche, end of story.


No ticket? He cut you a break then, IMO.
ANY understanding person says "hey they just went to pick up the car and its too late to register it, okay just drive home carefully".
There are nice cops out there who have pulled me over for no front plate but then we end up talking about cars for like an hour on the side of the road just because they are cool people to hang around. THAT is how cops need to act, friendly and not hostile.
There you go. The guy gave you some flack, but he let you off with no tickets. If he judged you based on the standars you're using to judge him, you would be in a freaking gulag right now sucking on brown water chomping on moldy bread.

There is a reason, and im not being racist, just stating facts, why African Americans in areas like Los Angeles hate police and why songs in the rap music industry talk about not liking cops, because they are harassed by police, solely on the fact that the officer doesn't like the way you dress, wear your hair, or by the color of your skin.
There is a line between a good person wanting to serve the community and help curb crime for the sake of goodness, and a person who was bullied throughout highschool and takes it out on everyone else, that particular cop was the latter.
Close minded people judge based on the framework of an issue and appearance alone. You're in front of a computer ranting about this and not ruminating over 10 BS tickets.
I handled myself in a respectable manner like i do every time i get pulled over, only reason to raise your voice would be to counter a bad cops attitude. More like a crooked cop who would love to get away with beating someone and not get caught.
Crooked cop? He didn't ticket you, and he should have? That why he's crooked? He raised his voice at you? Blah, blah, blah, rah-pah-tee-tah.
Ive been the victim, yes a victim of many bad cops, ever get thrown to the ground and have your face buried in the concrete because the cop approaches you in public because he thinks your cell phone is a gun? was it necessary for the cop to do that? NO.
Not really relevant to a traffic stop in this case. Yes, I have been in some hairy situations, and I have been persecuted.
There is no "other side" to the story once again, its just what happened. Total unwarranted douchebaggery brought to you by those who serve and protect.

Funny cause when i crashed my car the cop didnt even ask me how i was, he assumed i was doing something stupid immediately.
OK. "Total unwarranted douchebaggery" There should be a law against that!

Be thankful! You have no tickets and no court date to appear for.

Good luck
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

Bimmerguy2002 wrote: how am i dishonest? tell me, why would i lie to make it to my advantage? thats stupid. How is being better than an idiot being a "fool"? lol
i know all about manipulation and using psychology so dont even give me that "you would tell a lie so it makes you seem like the victim". I already took in account your possible responses so save your breath. You are obviously a white supremacist if you think i was lying.
Until you have been physically attacked by police for no reason, then shut up.
If you weren't so serious, this would be funny. Yes, you caught me, I am a white supremacist.

Might I suggest the following website for your perusal?

https://www.psychiatry-online.com/

Gotta go. There's a cross burning with the boys tonight and I have to go home and launder my "dress whites."
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

wkohler wrote:It's not like buying an orange or a thigh-master from Craigslist.
:laugh:
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

rlomba8204 wrote:
Bimmerguy2002 wrote: how am i dishonest? tell me, why would i lie to make it to my advantage? thats stupid. How is being better than an idiot being a "fool"? lol
i know all about manipulation and using psychology so dont even give me that "you would tell a lie so it makes you seem like the victim". I already took in account your possible responses so save your breath. You are obviously a white supremacist if you think i was lying.
Until you have been physically attacked by police for no reason, then shut up.
If you weren't so serious, this would be funny. Yes, you caught me, I am a white supremacist.

Might I suggest the following website for your perusal?

https://www.psychiatry-online.com/

Gotta go. There's a cross burning with the boys tonight and I have to go home and launder my "dress whites."

wow you need help.

have fun, tell me how it goes! make sure to get all the blood stains out. tell the klansmen i said hello!
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

Everybody needs to take it down a notch or ten. Matt, you especially. You want to go down the same road as before, so be it, but my patience for you is short.

Jeremy
dcollin
Posts: 1017
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Napa, CA

Post by dcollin »

Matt-
You got a new car-a nice one I might add. Your'e back on the board...you should be happy :D :D
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

All I can say is...

He's back.

The veneer of maturity has worn through; do the multi-personality posts start next?

It was nice while it lasted. :?
L_N_Love
Posts: 4106
Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Richmond VA

Post by L_N_Love »

M,

I went back and read the questions and statements that you said the policeman made. They all seem reasonable based on the situation. I don't understand why he would have been yelling though. I'm surprised you didn't get a ticket if that was his attitude. Weird. :?
ledfoot87
Posts: 341
Joined: May 17, 2007
Location: marin county, CA
Contact:

Post by ledfoot87 »

i know that for me, forums are a great way to rant and rave about something you feel was unjust so you can move on. perhaps matt didn't realize that's all he was doing and perhaps he should have phrased it as a rant. but something tells me even if he HAD, you would all still be attacking him. YES, he's said some rather ridiculous things once all this got started but i can see his point of view. I may be white, but i've been treated like complete shit by cops who had no reason to do so. Perhaps not to the extent Matt has, but to the extent where i was extremely angred by the exchange.

Give him a break guys, let him rant about being treated like shit. I'm sure when he's thinking rationally he knows there are still some good cops out there.

Matt, i understand where you're coming from, but perhaps it would be a good idea to tone down the defenses. theres no need to fuel the fire anymore.
turbodan
Posts: 9705
Joined: Jan 09, 2007

Post by turbodan »

BKCowGod3 wrote: Then again, I've noticed that your main goal whenever Matt posts something is to shit on him, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering... Maybe you can't stand the fact that he has grown up and become a productive and respected member of the community, a trick that you have yet to accomplish?
Seeing the way this thread played out, I dont think I really have to explain where I'm coming from. I'm not the only one that saw through it.

As far as being productive and respected, I dont have a little local fan club, but I think I do alright.
KingCast
Posts: 1753
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: Boston, MA

What you say is true.

Post by KingCast »

WVe28 wrote:None of this excuses unprofessionalism, of course, but you'll have that in that line of work.

All in all, I'd actually say you were lucky. If he really wanted to be a dick, you'd be riding a taxi home.
1. True.
2. True.

No need to be a dink about it. If you're gonna write a ticket, write a ticket, but realistically just write the warning and make proof of compliance necessary by a date certain, or write the ticket and most times depending on jurisdiction if you're in compliance when you go to court you work it down to a headlight violation or something.

Here's a newspaper editorial about that:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs ... 70315/1017

Aggressive cops can sour police relations with a community and foster an "us against them" atmosphere.
It can make law-abiding citizens distrust the police and reduce their willingness to help them. Overly aggressive officers who generate complaints are also more likely to face charges of unnecessary force or police brutality that can lead to costly civil suits. That costs taxpayers money and makes them less willing to increase funding for law enforcement.
......which is why I'm suing the state for lying about cops like McKay and keeping secrets from the American Public:

http://christopher-king.blogspot.com/20 ... -line.html
BRRV
Posts: 3163
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Pensacola, Gulf of America

Post by BRRV »

Bimmerguy2002 wrote:He DID start yelling, there is no other side of "the story". He was a dickhead cop, end of story. Cops like him end up getting shot in the line of duty, maybe they wouldnt have to feel threatened if they keep THEIR attitudes in check.
He didnt seem to want to hear my "excuse" as to why the car was being driven with no registration. Its all his fault, plus he planned on starting trouble when he was stopped at the stop sign for 20 seconds waiting for me to turn so he could follow me, i saw him a mile away.
So - is it your point that every cop who has an attitude because of your own idiocy suitable to be shot? Oh wait, I forget - you started this, so it must be OK for YOU to have an attitude, but not the cop.

Jeremy has asked that this be toned down, which I respect, so I'm not going to say anything else beyond this: Other than the fact that the officer yelled at you, you got off light. Count your blessings.
Ben
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: New Haven, CT

Post by Ben »

You should be fortunate that you weren't this guy!
mkarkos
Posts: 385
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Foster, RI

Post by mkarkos »

Bimmerguy2002 wrote:
rlomba8204 wrote:
another corrupt cop who needs to be put away for life and made an example of.
What part of your story shows his corruptness? Sounds like you have some bad experiences with your past, this guy yells at you and he's the worst cop in the world. Second chances- think about it.
KingCast
Posts: 1753
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: Boston, MA

Both of you are right.

Post by KingCast »

BRRV wrote:
Bimmerguy2002 wrote:He DID start yelling, there is no other side of "the story". He was a dickhead cop, end of story. Cops like him end up getting shot in the line of duty, maybe they wouldnt have to feel threatened if they keep THEIR attitudes in check.
Other than the fact that the officer yelled at you, you got off light. Count your blessings.
Both of you are right. Just stop and think about it. In the little picture the cop was "right" but in the big picture, as my learned brethren at the Concord Monitor point out, that cop is fostering an "us against them" mentality that does no one any kind of Good.

That case is a bit different because it can be showed that McKay violated policy on several occasions, including several just seconds before he died but that case started like this one. Now grown, mature adults in Franconia who have successfully raised families and obtained advanced degrees publicly state that they are afraid of McKay and that he "terrorized" them, this coming from a woman who was married to a police officer whose friends suggested she write that AG's office because they knew he was wrong.

She wrote the AG's office and the AG's office proceeded to deny it to the World public until I did some more snooping. Watch for the town defendants and the AG to start battling each other over certain aspects of who did wrong. Thing of it is, if they had both done right the whole time we probably wouldn't be in this situation.

Stuck on Stupid, and built to stay that way.
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

ledfoot87 wrote:i know that for me, forums are a great way to rant and rave about something you feel was unjust so you can move on. perhaps matt didn't realize that's all he was doing and perhaps he should have phrased it as a rant. but something tells me even if he HAD, you would all still be attacking him. YES, he's said some rather ridiculous things once all this got started but i can see his point of view. I may be white, but i've been treated like complete shit by cops who had no reason to do so. Perhaps not to the extent Matt has, but to the extent where i was extremely angred by the exchange.

Give him a break guys, let him rant about being treated like shit. I'm sure when he's thinking rationally he knows there are still some good cops out there.

Matt, i understand where you're coming from, but perhaps it would be a good idea to tone down the defenses. theres no need to fuel the fire anymore.

haha it was a rant, if you see the first and last words i made it into a bracket kinda thing, just as a joke of course ^_^

:P
KingCast
Posts: 1753
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: Boston, MA

Rants can still be serious.

Post by KingCast »

haha it was a rant, if you see the first and last words i made it into a bracket kinda thing, just as a joke of course ^_^

:P
Oh, I can dig it; saw that from jump.

But the underlying issues are still serious business.

Peace and Good Luck with the new whip ;)
Tim in N FL
Posts: 7392
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: North Central Florida, USA
Contact:

Post by Tim in N FL »

BKCowGod3 wrote:Re: the officer had a bad day...

Contrary to popular belief, police work is a customer service position. The general public is the customer and they protect and serve us. As such, one of the requirements of the job is to not have their external issues affect the interaction with the existing customer.<SNIP>
+1 :evil:

FYI...of interest...
The idea of psychologically screening for law enforcement candidates is not new, in fact as far back as 1916 behavioral scientists have been involved in psychologically testing candidates. (1) In recent years psychological tests have been found to be valid and reliable predictors of police performance. Communities are seeking to know more about those who will soon be serving their safety needs. In the past, very little data was available on the reliability and validity of such psychological tests. Another reason tests are gaining popularity in police selection is because they have the potential to reduce some of the human influence on recruitment and selection.

It seems logical that different size communities lend themselves to different styles of living and thus placing different demands on law enforcement officials. Every jurisdiction employing law enforcement officers has different tasks, rules and client needs (2). It also appears that although psychological tests have been used for years, it is only recently that the law enforcement field has had a wealth of knowledge available to it concerning when to use the tests and what they best predict. With the knowledge that psychological tests are valid and reliable, coupled with the data that suggests that different size communities create different demands upon law enforcement officials, it seems logical that exploring the possibility that personality profiles exist among different officials in different communities would be beneficial. The exploration of a personality profile of a police candidate was explored using The Sixteen Personality Factor Questionnaire Scales along with 12 measures of psychopathology (3). They found that the majority of police candidates in their study could be categorized in one profile group. The characteristics of the profile group labeled "Typical Cop" were found to be self-disciplined, socially bold, extroverted, emotionally tough and low in experienced anxiety.

A question left unanswered was whether or not the candidates in the study, who were selected from cities across America, fall into similar personality profiles because they were from similar size cities and departments.

Questionnaire data were collected from 830 randomly selected rank-and-file police officers from 15 police departments. There was a significant relationship between organizational tenure, duty assignment, geographical location and variation in the way police roles were performed....
Source:
Personality of law enforcement officials: a comparison of law enforcement officials' personality profiles based on size of community.
Publication Date: 01-JUN-03
Publication Title: Public Personnel Management
Locked