Page 2 of 2
Posted: Oct 02, 2007 9:33 PM
by wkohler
FastFiver wrote:twin55 wrote:FastFiver wrote:Just so everyone knows, I set up my dad's latest car deal... 2007 Honda Accord sedan, 4cyl. It gets 30mpg overall and IMO is the type of car one should be looking to recommend for their parents. i.e. it won't leave them stranded, maintenance is minimal, and it does most things well.
FastFiver wrote:I laugh when a 17 y.o. is making the vehicle purchasing decisions for his/her parents.
The mind is

with the brain on this one

Hey fuckstick, I'm 2 months from being 25... a far cry, h.s. diploma, and college degree from 17.

Shouldn't "fuckstick" have a capital "F?"
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 12:20 AM
by Mike W.
If they don't know they want an M5, they don't want one. They may be much less finicky than the first ones, but they are for people who WANT one and are willing to put up with it. We have an E39 528i, my wife's car, and she loves it. It's needed a little bit in the 40K we've had it, but the only remotely expensive thing was the 4 O2 sensors that hadn't been replaced when they should have been and overall I'd rate it as very good for a car that now has almost 150K on it. And nothing even close to leaving her by the side of the road. Many people don't like the sheer size of a 7 series, so have them drive one before any purchase, it may or may not be an issue.
I may have a unique experience, but in my limited sampling of just a couple 70's-80's Japanese cars, I just didn't see the legendary reliability that they have. Mechanically they were ok, but not great, but the interiors were absolute junk. And anything will cost a fortune to fix today if it does break.
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 12:44 AM
by SD45T-2
FastFiver wrote:twin55 wrote:FastFiver wrote:Just so everyone knows, I set up my dad's latest car deal... 2007 Honda Accord sedan, 4cyl. It gets 30mpg overall and IMO is the type of car one should be looking to recommend for their parents. i.e. it won't leave them stranded, maintenance is minimal, and it does most things well.
FastFiver wrote:I laugh when a 17 y.o. is making the vehicle purchasing decisions for his/her parents.
The mind is

with the brain on this one

Hey fuckstick, I'm 2 months from being 25... a far cry, h.s. diploma, and college degree from 17.

dude im almost as old as you,again someone who speaks before knowing what the hell is going on. i dont give a rats ass about honda's
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 5:44 AM
by FastFiver
Vatoloco wrote:FastFiver wrote:twin55 wrote:FastFiver wrote:Just so everyone knows, I set up my dad's latest car deal... 2007 Honda Accord sedan, 4cyl. It gets 30mpg overall and IMO is the type of car one should be looking to recommend for their parents. i.e. it won't leave them stranded, maintenance is minimal, and it does most things well.
FastFiver wrote:I laugh when a 17 y.o. is making the vehicle purchasing decisions for his/her parents.
The mind is

with the brain on this one

Hey fuckstick, I'm 2 months from being 25... a far cry, h.s. diploma, and college degree from 17.

dude im almost as old as you,again someone who speaks before knowing what the hell is going on. i dont give a rats ass about honda's
Honda is what?
You might be 90% of my age, but there is obviously some disconnect in terms of your reality to mine. You might as well just have them buy a Ferrari or a Lambo, neither is far from the maintenance of an S38 M5... At least there are dedicated mechanics around for those cars.
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 9:49 AM
by P-Easy
Mike W. wrote:If they don't know they want an M5, they don't want one. They may be much less finicky than the first ones, but they are for people who WANT one and are willing to put up with it. We have an E39 528i, my wife's car, and she loves it. It's needed a little bit in the 40K we've had it, but the only remotely expensive thing was the 4 O2 sensors that hadn't been replaced when they should have been and overall I'd rate it as very good for a car that now has almost 150K on it. And nothing even close to leaving her by the side of the road. Many people don't like the sheer size of a 7 series, so have them drive one before any purchase, it may or may not be an issue.
I may have a unique experience, but in my limited sampling of just a couple 70's-80's Japanese cars, I just didn't see the legendary reliability that they have. Mechanically they were ok, but not great, but the interiors were absolute junk. And anything will cost a fortune to fix today if it does break.
I agree about the E39 528i; my 528 ran up until 205000, then I cracked the head gasket (through massive abuse) and it was time to put her down.
I disagree about Japanese cars being expensive to fix, they have got to be the cheapest cars there are to fix.
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 9:53 AM
by P-Easy
FastFiver wrote:Vatoloco wrote:FastFiver wrote:twin55 wrote:FastFiver wrote:Just so everyone knows, I set up my dad's latest car deal... 2007 Honda Accord sedan, 4cyl. It gets 30mpg overall and IMO is the type of car one should be looking to recommend for their parents. i.e. it won't leave them stranded, maintenance is minimal, and it does most things well.
FastFiver wrote:I laugh when a 17 y.o. is making the vehicle purchasing decisions for his/her parents.
The mind is

with the brain on this one

Hey fuckstick, I'm 2 months from being 25... a far cry, h.s. diploma, and college degree from 17.

dude im almost as old as you,again someone who speaks before knowing what the hell is going on. i dont give a rats ass about honda's
Honda is what?
You might be 90% of my age, but there is obviously some disconnect in terms of your reality to mine. You might as well just have them buy a Ferrari or a Lambo, neither is far from the maintenance of an S38 M5... At least there are dedicated mechanics around for those cars.
"You might as well just have them buy a Ferrari or a Lambo, neither is far from the maintenance of an S38 M5... "
^^^What a gross exaggeration.

Posted: Oct 03, 2007 11:07 AM
by SD45T-2
we already agreed on the e39 528i i dont know why people keep bringing up M5 E39.
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 11:33 AM
by P-Easy
I only mentioned the E39 M5 once.
EDIT: My bad, read back through the thread, the E39 M5 is mentioned alooot.
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 11:45 AM
by B_Newman
FastFiver wrote:You might as well just have them buy a Ferrari or a Lambo, neither is far from the maintenance of an S38 M5... At least there are dedicated mechanics around for those cars.
Ty, with all due respect: your example of the implied staggering cost of S38 M5 maintenance being comparable to Ferrari/Lambo maintenance is over the top. An ///M car, specifically an S38, is more expensive to own with part costs and maintenance schedules than an M30, M50 or M50TU yes, but it is not cost prohibitive to own as Ferraris and Lamborghinis where the maintenance cost of 3k miles in one year could be 5-20kUSD. Any neglected car can cost a small fortune to return to a reliable state of repair, including an M5, but a moderately to well maintained M5 does not cost anywhere near what it takes to maintain a Ferrari or Lamborghini.
Here is a discussion of Ferrari ownership costs brought up by Tim.
click here
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 12:00 PM
by P-Easy
^^^
That link goes to a discussion about 18" rims.
Posted: Oct 03, 2007 12:03 PM
by B_Newman
P-Easy wrote:^^^
That link goes to a discussion about 18" rims.
Fixed.