Page 2 of 2
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 2:17 PM
by vance
Dood that freakin awsome! What is your water intake everday?
Vance
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 2:25 PM
by Brian in TN
vance wrote:Dood that freakin awsome! What is your water intake everday?
Vance
I have no idea. Other than skim milk, water is all that I drink. Gave up on diet sodas a year ago.
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 2:43 PM
by Mark 88/M5 Houston
Great news Brian! You need to be healthy and around for a long time for your new family member, not to mention your My E28 friends and neighbors.

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 3:06 PM
by the Tanned One
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 3:13 PM
by johnnye23
Brian I have more on order

Johnny
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 3:37 PM
by rlomba8204
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 4:40 PM
by adrian in florida
Brian, can you speak to your program... Have you just been exercising and eating better. Are you taking a statin or BP medication
Brian I commend you for making this personnel issue public.
If you can do it so can I.
I think the concept of insulan resistence is the single most important concept in terms of health education. Teaching people about the glycemic index can go a long way to improving the health of this country.
The holy grail is behavior change.. I know all the right thinks to do, but have failed to do them. To be honest your situation has provided some good motivation for me. Thanks.
I
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 5:09 PM
by Brian in TN
johnnye23 wrote: Brian I have more on order

Johnny
That was some good stuff Johnny! It may have been the thing that did it. Who knows. Thanks again.
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 5:24 PM
by rags535
Great to hear that Brian,for BOTH of us.Just diagnosed with it myself this week,about to get test kit.Don't need to lose weight( 5'7",158lbs),but have to drastically change diet.It's a bit scary.Have 5 blood relatives that had it.
Want to thank all of you above for all the suggestions and help for Brian I can also use myself now.
Brian; keep truckin' fella;seems like you definite have it going in the right direction!
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 5:31 PM
by Brian in TN
adrian in florida wrote:Brian, can you speak to your program... Have you just been exercising and eating better. Are you taking a statin or BP medication
Drugs - Caduet 10/20mg and Metformin 500mg
Adrian. You can do it. Anyone can do it. Its a very simple program that I will have to do for the rest of my days. I am already used to doing it in the short time that its been in place.
Here is a link to just about everything you need to know.
http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-r ... erview.jsp The site has helped me with every aspect of my treatment.
I adopted a diabetics diet almost to the T. Excercise is very important, even if its just a little. Basically I walk 1 to 2 miles a day during lunch 5 times a week. Cut out ALL beer! Thats a hard one but a major factor in getting better. Save the beers and firewater for Fri and.or Sat only. Cut out ALL white enriched flour products. Next to major fat intake this is a huge NO NO. You must eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with a small lowfat snack inbetween each of those. I use fruit in the a.m. and a pack of mixed nuts in the afternoon. Think positive. Thats it.
YOU CAN DO IT!

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 5:33 PM
by johnnye23
This turned from a downer thread into a very positive thread. Good luck to both you guys. Johnny

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 5:34 PM
by Brian in TN
rags535 wrote:Great to hear that Brian,for BOTH of us.Just diagnosed with it myself this week,about to get test kit.Don't need to lose weight( 5'7",158lbs),but have to drastically change diet.It's a bit scary.Have 5 blood relatives that had it.
Want to thank all of you above for all the suggestions and help for Brian I can also use myself now.
Brian; keep truckin' fella;seems like you definite have it going in the right direction!
Dude. Go to this site and you will read for hours. It explains everything. It saved my life.
http://www.diabetes.org/nutrition-and-r ... erview.jsp
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 5:37 PM
by rags535
Thanks,Brian;I'll check it out.
Not real happy with this...got enough from my MVA years ago that keeps revisiting.
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 5:41 PM
by Brian in TN
rags535 wrote:Thanks,Brian;I'll check it out.
Not real happy with this...got enough from my MVA years ago that keeps revisiting.
Dude! I too was scared as hell when the news came. Change your food intake, get a bit of excercise with no excuses, and you should be fine. Take your meds as well. You can conquer this if I can.
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 5:44 PM
by rags535
Guess I'm better off than I thought.They haven't given me meds yet,just the diet change and test kit to monitor things.
Reading the site you gave me just now.
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 6:55 PM
by kit533i
I'm glad to see everyone's attitudes toward changing behavior. I have type 1 and was diagnosed over 25 years ago. My parents helped me take care of it until I was an adult and it just wasn't a concern for me. After a couple of years of not taking care of myself, and a fiance, I finally took control and got my HA1Cs down to the low 6s and high 5s. After 12 or so years of that, it's just habit, routine, part of my day that I don't even think about it anymore. Once it's part of the routine, it's no longer a hassle (except for the exercise part

).
Good luck to you guys and keep up the good work.
Kit
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 9:58 PM
by Brian in TN
Kit. I commend you in taking control of it for all these years. Being confronted with the lesser has opened my eyes and set me on the offense for sure. I have a second chance to live longer. Fortunately I have a choice in my well being and will fight it until I win. I would accept having type 1 if it came down to it for sure.
If someone reading this has yet to confront this demon, I urge you to take steps now!
It is a matter of life and death. That is unless of course you would like to leave your 5er to me in your will.

Posted: Jun 21, 2007 10:02 PM
by wkohler
Brian in TN wrote:Kit. I commend you in taking control of it for all these years. Being confronted with the lesser has opened my eyes and set me on the offense for sure. I have a second chance to live longer. Fortunately I have a choice in my well being and will fight it until I win. I would accept having type 1 if it came down to it for sure.
If someone reading this has yet to confront this demon, I urge you to take steps now!
It is a matter of life and death. That is unless of course you would like to leave your 5er to me in your will.

But you're only taking red/black ones, right?
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 10:12 PM
by Brian in TN
wkohler wrote:
But you're only taking red/black ones, right?
Roger that! Will accept black and silver cars as well. Except the following.... Bronzit with beige interiors shall meet thy doom.
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 10:14 PM
by rags535
bronzit with beige has NO personality.How they sold so many is beyond me
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 10:17 PM
by wkohler
rags535 wrote:bronzit with beige has NO personality.How they sold so many is beyond me
Many people that purchase these cars new have no personality. Perhaps they don't like washing the car either. You do have to remember it was the '80s - everything was brown - including the sky in LA.
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 10:20 PM
by Brian in TN
wkohler wrote: ...remember it was the '80s - everything was brown - including the sky in LA.
Oh snap!
Brown eh? I never owned a pair of brown parachute pants! Mine were black!
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 10:25 PM
by wkohler
Mine were orange, but that was the '90s
Posted: Jun 21, 2007 10:26 PM
by rags535
. O.K.,guys;we'll break out a color chart if this keeps up
Posted: Jun 22, 2007 2:09 AM
by kit533i
Brian in TN wrote:wkohler wrote:
But you're only taking red/black ones, right?
Roger that! Will accept black and silver cars as well. Except the following.... Bronzit with beige interiors shall meet thy doom.
Hey!, I resemble that remark.

Posted: Jun 22, 2007 2:43 AM
by rags535
Well,don't brag about it here!(nice car,by the way)