Page 2 of 2
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 11:36 AM
by DMNaskale
Tim,
I am sorry for contributing to the thread hijacking.
As to the point of the thread, I have a real M5 box sitting on the shelf if you want to compare part numbers or anything.
If your M5 doesn't have one and you want one to install while your car is already under the knife, you can have mine if you just hunt down a replacement some day, I won't need it for at least a year.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:44 PM
by m-racer
Daryl, Thanks for the offer. I just checked the number and it has the right (QR) steering box. Now I have to check the number on the one in the B9. My guess is that the M5 is a heavier car and that the suspension is likely not dialed in as well as the B9's. The wheels/tires are 17's (vs the 16's on the Alpina) and that may be part of it as well. To be honest, I haven't taken it over 4k RPM because I was getting ready to have the timing chain done. I look forward to being able to develop a more accurate opinion. The timing chain, rod bearings, oil pump, and a bunch of small stuff is done. The exhaust parts came in from Supersprint today and the shifter linkage still needs to be done. I will let you know when I get it back on the road (hopefully next week) and we will give them a drive. Adrian, Randy and I were talking about getting the B9, Euro M5, Adrian's H5S, and Devin's low mile US M5 (if he is willing) together for a test drive with the Fl. gang. Maybe we should invite Phil to write a Roundel article. It would be an interesting and unique group of E28's to test drive.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 1:48 PM
by m-racer
Shawn D. wrote:B9 wrote:Damn. I love a good debate as well as the next guy, but could you guys please invade someone else's thread with this stuff. I got three responses that were actually helpful (thanks Rich, Justin, Jeremy) and a whole bunch of noise.
I'm really sorry for that. My interjection wasn't meant to hijack the thread.

No guilt required

Posted: Feb 23, 2007 6:21 PM
by snffff
Shawn D. wrote:I'm really sorry for that. My interjection wasn't meant to hijack the thread.
Ditto.
I guess it's a bit asinine of me to have hijacked a thread to unnecessarily criticize someone for hijacking a thread to unnecessarily criticize someone.
B9: Did you ever check to see how many turns lock-to-lock your steering is? The difference in turns between the stock e28 steering box and the M5 box has been talked about before. IIRC m5 is 3 turns lock-to-lock and the others are 3.5 or somewhere thereabout. Seems like the box coupled with wider tires gave the m5 a slightly wider turning radius than the standard box too, again IIRC. It would be interesting to find out that/if the Alpina used a custom box with an even cl... ahem, ...quicker... ratio.
Shawn, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the autocorrect thing. I hate computers that make decisions for me, and you hate bad spelling. In all fairness you do a hell of a lot more for board than I ever will, so if it makes you happy to have it around, I'm certainly not going to hold it against you.
Posted: Feb 23, 2007 10:44 PM
by Shawn D.
Sorry, B9, but I just want to make one more digression...
snffff wrote:Shawn, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the autocorrect thing. I hate computers that make decisions for me, and you hate bad spelling.
I'll agree to that.
snffff wrote:In all fairness you do a hell of a lot more for board than I ever will, so if it makes you happy to have it around, I'm certainly not going to hold it against you.
IMO, it shouldn't be about who does more, but I appreciate the sentiment!