Official song of the 5erFest garage party

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Brian in TN
Posts: 4615
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by Brian in TN »

bump
RonW
Posts: 5324
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by RonW »

We're approaching this from the wrong angle. The right way to do it is to ask, what kind of music would the typical driver of a newly purchased e28 be playing in the mid-1980s?

Let's profile this guy (and yes, he would be a guy).
-He's about 40.
-Successful.
-A hippie, until he was co-opted by the system way back when.

So I figure this guy was into the late '60s and early '70s stuff, probably Creedence or Jefferson Airplane. Of course when he gets serious he's got Wagner, and if he has passengers he's got Vivaldi. But that's for when he's wearing a suit. When he's parked on a weekend drinking beer, it's "White Rabbit" or "Up Around the Bend."
robeyff
Posts: 1943
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by robeyff »

Wiseguy wrote:WTF.

I vote for KC & The Sunshine Band
Me too. The Buckwheat rendition - Eddie Murphy's version from Sat. Night Live:

"Do awibble dand,"
"Mage awibble wub,"
"Geb domb tomibe."
LA
Posts: 1560
Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Winchester TN

flash

Post by LA »

robeyff wrote:
Wiseguy wrote:WTF.

I vote for KC & The Sunshine Band
Me too. The Buckwheat rendition - Eddie Murphy's version from Sat. Night Live:

"Do awibble dand,"
"Mage awibble wub,"
"Geb domb tomibe."
:thanks: I have not thought about those skits in ages -- they were 'a stone groove' ...

So far sounds like the corner w/ Da Red Dog is the place to be!
FastFiver
Posts: 1716
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: The murder mitten

Post by FastFiver »

How about "It's Raining Men"


Its a fricken sausage-fest, man. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

RonW wrote:We're approaching this from the wrong angle. The right way to do it is to ask, what kind of music would the typical driver of a newly purchased e28 be playing in the mid-1980s?

Let's profile this guy (and yes, he would be a guy).
-He's about 40.
-Successful.
-A hippie, until he was co-opted by the system way back when.
Yeah; I knew him, but he wasn't ever a hippie. He was one of the early wave of MBAs that actually did well before the degree was a dime a dozen. He was somewhat unusual in being a BMWCCA member and he owned a 535is identical to Da Red Dog (which, BTW, was a few miles north in the hands of its original owner, a doctor at the Cleveland Clinic). I loved Flynn's car, even when I 'dusted' his butt in autocross with my 'lowly' Audi Quattro.
So I figure this guy was into the late '60s and early '70s stuff, probably Creedence or Jefferson Airplane. Of course when he gets serious he's got Wagner, and if he has passengers he's got Vivaldi. But that's for when he's wearing a suit. When he's parked on a weekend drinking beer, it's "White Rabbit" or "Up Around the Bend."
Nah; I think he probably liked the Doobies and the Eagles. Not that that's my vote. I'm with you, Ron, pushing some '67-'74 stuff that was known at the time as 'hard rock' (before there was a f'in' theme restaurant by that name! :evil: ). I'm nearly stuck in a Time Warp for that period, although there's some eclectic '80s stuff that I like. I'm not interested in much of anything from the last 10 years that isn't a remake of older things. Of course, I'm still waiting to hear Hilary Duff's "My Generation" ... :shock: I figure, if I can survive hearing (and seeing) Celine Dion's cover of AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" without actually getting physically ill, I can handle anything.

I like recordings of live concerts a lot, so Da Dog will again be filled with 'em. I may have seven or eight Who concerts from at least five different tours. A Zeppelin concert or three. Two distinctly different Mott the Hoople shows and parts of about five Ian Hunter shows. Two Boston shows from their first tour in 1976-'77. Most of a 1978 Cleveland show with Meat Loaf on his first national tour. Two or three very short pieces of Patty Smyth & Scandal shows (I told you; 'eclectic'). Last but certainly not least, I may manage to remember a copy of Lita Ford singing "I'll Be Home For Christmas" with Twisted Sister. :dunno: A bunch of this is bootleg traded stuff that I'm willing to swap, so feel free to plan to get some copies. I'll put it all on a USB memory stick or burn MP3s to a disk so anyone with a laptop can burn 'em for you there.

I'm still in favor of scattered 'music sites' because we, too, are a pretty eclectic bunch with widely varied tastes. I found it a lot of fun to wander around The Garage Party moving in and out of different sounds. That's how we can find the others whose tastes most closely match our own. There's also the Technology Lag: Da Red Dog's sound system is comparable to an M30 with a chip. It's a little better than stock (the CD changer & some better speakers), but nothing to brag about. Some of you have 'twin turbo V12' stereos that can overwhelm us, but in the interest of mutual respect, please don't overblast all the rest of us off in our own corners. We don't need to piss off the neighbors ... ;)
ismellfish2
Posts: 1129
Joined: Mar 25, 2006
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Post by ismellfish2 »

C.R. Krieger wrote:Of course, I'm still waiting to hear Hilary Duff's "My Generation" ... :shock: I figure, if I can survive hearing (and seeing) Celine Dion's cover of AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" without actually getting physically ill, I can handle anything.
I thought you were joking, until I looked on YouTube... that is one of the worst things I have ever seen, ever. I thought Phil Collins had created the worst cover in the history of music with "Groovy Kind of Love", but I clearly was mistaken. Not for the weak of heart!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONt47Z0KZg
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

C.R. Krieger wrote: I'm with you, Ron, pushing some '67-'74 stuff that was known at the time as 'hard rock' (before there was a f'in' theme restaurant by that name! :evil: ). I'm nearly stuck in a Time Warp for that period, although there's some eclectic '80s stuff that I like. I'm not interested in much of anything from the last 10 years that isn't a remake of older things. Of course, I'm still waiting to hear Hilary Duff's "My Generation" ... :shock: I figure, if I can survive hearing (and seeing) Celine Dion's cover of AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" without actually getting physically ill, I can handle anything.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. Just excellent.
robeyff
Posts: 1943
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by robeyff »

You guys are thinking too much - just play what's in the glovebox.
Jay in VA
Posts: 1917
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Raleigh, North Cakalacky

Post by Jay in VA »

I vote for KISS - "All Hell's Breakin' Loose" ;)

errr, I just dated myself der a bit. :rofl:
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

I just watched the Celine Dion rendition of You Shook Me All Night Long. That was just awful. :shock:

I actually am seriously ill.

The amazing thing is that there appeared to be a large audience there. How they sat through that, and didn't leave, is simply beyond me. :dunno:
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

My nomination: I like Beer (I hope this works)

Tom T. Hall "I Like Beer"
C.J.
Posts: 3915
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Orange County, CA

Post by C.J. »

About as bad as Britney Spears covering the Stones.
LA
Posts: 1560
Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Winchester TN

ac dc

Post by LA »

Da Dog say: 'I figure, if I can survive hearing (and seeing) Celine Dion's cover of AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" without actually getting physically ill, I can handle anything. '

Oh yeah, bring that up. :brickwall: I had forgotten she did that -- and although I never saw it or even heard it, I was oh so happy to have forgotten about it.

My recommendation for Da Dog is if we must stray from what comes natural ( seven or eight Who concerts from at least five different tours. A Zeppelin concert or three ), then go w/ the Murf tings buhwhee.
:beer:
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Look, just play some great Jan Hammer stuff and get it over with.
Joe in FL
Posts: 652
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Post by Joe in FL »

wkohler wrote:Jan Hammer stuff
Hell yeah. When I think of that 80's yuppie cruisin' around in his new E28, he's always listening to 'Crockett's Theme' for some reason. So of course, I had to burn it to a CD of my own.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

rlomba8204 wrote:I just watched the Celine Dion rendition of You Shook Me All Night Long. That was just awful. :shock:

I actually am seriously ill.

The amazing thing is that there appeared to be a large audience there. How they sat through that, and didn't leave, is simply beyond me. :dunno:
ISTR it was a 'Divas' show - and in Las Vegas - so they were all apparently equally brain dead or somethin'. I stumbled across it watching a VH1 "Least Metal Moments" program. One of those times you really do wish that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. How this got beat out by Vince Neil doing the 'Chicken Dance' in Pittsburgh I'll never know ... :roll:

Oh; and if it doesn't disgust anyone (I've seen some cyber-criticism of this 1992 set), I am now reminded that I do have a two-disk AC/DC concert that includes a pretty decent version of the original:

Image

One reviewer: "Criticizing AC/DC's albums for all sounding the same is like complaining that prime rib always tastes too damn beefy. Like, duh." :rofl:
bmwfan1957
Posts: 525
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Meridian, ID

Post by bmwfan1957 »

wow not that long ago i had an apartment that had that as it's theme song. :D

those were the good old days. I'm starting to grow out of that stage though. lol.
LA
Posts: 1560
Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Winchester TN

who?

Post by LA »

wkohler wrote:Look, just play some great Jan Hammer stuff and get it over with.
Who the hell is Jan Hammer??? Oh...never mind, I never understand what you are talking about anyway. ;)
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Re: who?

Post by C.R. Krieger »

LA wrote:
wkohler wrote:Look, just play some great Jan Hammer stuff and get it over with.
Who the hell is Jan Hammer??? Oh...never mind, I never understand what you are talking about anyway. ;)
Think "Miami Vice" theme song ...
Last edited by C.R. Krieger on Apr 26, 2007 12:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22376
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Re: who?

Post by Shawn D. »

LA wrote:Who the hell is Jan Hammer???
Lemme tell you about a new invention -- it's called a "search engine"! :roll:
Adam W in MN
Posts: 5055
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Don't waste my motherf***in' time!
Contact:

Post by Adam W in MN »

Joe in FL wrote:
wkohler wrote:Jan Hammer stuff
Hell yeah. When I think of that 80's yuppie cruisin' around in his new E28, he's always listening to 'Crockett's Theme' for some reason. So of course, I had to burn it to a CD of my own.
I f'ing love that stuff, especially Crockett's Theme. Gets me all sentimental about loafers w/no socks, pastel t-shirts under white linen suits, and 80's BMW-driving yuppies.

How cool would it be to see a euro E28 M5 tearing it up down a Miami highway with Crockett in high pursuit in his Ferrari Daytona wannabe? :lol:

I miss the 80's.
Ben
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: New Haven, CT

Re: who?

Post by Ben »

C.R. Krieger wrote:
LA wrote:
wkohler wrote:Look, just play some great Jan Hammer stuff and get it over with.
Who the hell is Jan Hammer??? Oh...never mind, I never understand what you are talking about anyway. ;)
Think "Miami Vice" theme song ...
lol, Miami Vice. Jan Hammer is the man, especially when he did the album "Spectrum" with Billy Cobham. This is possibly my favorite Jazz Rock Album to date, it's just so awesome. BTW, Billy Cobham was the drummer for the "Mahavishnu Orchestra" with John McLaughlin.
LA
Posts: 1560
Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Winchester TN

Re: who?

Post by LA »

Shawn D. wrote:
LA wrote:Who the hell is Jan Hammer???
Lemme tell you about a new invention -- it's called a "search engine"! :roll:
Your search - higher potential-lights-lower potential - did not match any documents. 8)
sQuirly
Posts: 652
Joined: Apr 16, 2007
Location: SE CT

Post by sQuirly »

lol the second song http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =170525702
i'd rather listen to "stick shifts and safety belts" by CAKE.
robeyff
Posts: 1943
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by robeyff »

If you haven't heard it, the entire soundtrack from the Tom Cruise hitman flick "Collateral" is outstanding. Director Michael Mann has a knack for getting the right score to fit his films.

Not sure who performed the tracks, but the music was by James Newton Howard and is some good, gritty, driving LA stuff. Check it out if you haven't heard it.

Edit: Here's the list:

1. "Briefcase" - Tom Rothrock
2. "The Seed (2.0) [extended radio edit]" - The Roots featuring Cody Chesnu
3. "Hands of Time" - Groove Armaded
4. "Guero Canelo" - Calexico
5. "Rollin' Crumblin'" - Tom Rothrock
6. "Max Steals Briefcase" - James Newton Howard
7. "Destino de Abril" - The Green Car Motel
8. "Shadow on the Sun" - Audioslave
9. "Island Limos" - James Newton Howard
10. "Spanish Key" - Miles Davis
11. "Air" - Klzz Brothers & Cuba Percussion
12. "Ready Steady Go [remix]" - Oakenfold
13. "Car Crash" - Antonio Pinto
14. "Vincent Hops Train" - James Newton Howard
15. "Finale" - James Newton Howard
16. "Requiem" - Antonion Pinto
LA
Posts: 1560
Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Winchester TN

OK

Post by LA »

Shawn D. wrote:
theseeker411 wrote:"Barroom Hero"
Face down in the gutter... won't admit defeat... :laugh:

Great song!
Well Shawn...you may be OK after all!! :up:

LA
Post Reply