Posted: Dec 26, 2006 11:06 AM
Hi Guys,
Wow...I really appreciate your thoughts on the recent experience my friend had with his e32iL.
I agree that he paid he could have done some homework, ended up paying a premium price for a premium job, and it could have been worse (e.g., Zieg's experience). Ugh. My friend and I grew up wrenching on our father's GM cars (early 70s GM stuff) and eventually ended up driving Japanese and used BMWs that we never touched mechanically. I think he's ultimately OK with the $2800 bill because he has a solid car, loves the way it looks and drives, and did not have time to deal with doing research because he trusts the shop / owner with whom he deals. I do believe that the shop foreman &/or service writer could have communicated more effectively with him about the estimate (parts & labor) than they did. My friend clearly established that he did not want to spend even $1500 on the work at the moment (Christmastime) and opted to do only the 2 of the shocks. He was not aware that his car had the SLS system because it is an iL model not the i model. I wish he would have called me but...c'est la vie, eh? Again, thanks for letting me discuss this situation here...appreciate your insights, reactions, etc.

Tim
Wow...I really appreciate your thoughts on the recent experience my friend had with his e32iL.
I agree that he paid he could have done some homework, ended up paying a premium price for a premium job, and it could have been worse (e.g., Zieg's experience). Ugh. My friend and I grew up wrenching on our father's GM cars (early 70s GM stuff) and eventually ended up driving Japanese and used BMWs that we never touched mechanically. I think he's ultimately OK with the $2800 bill because he has a solid car, loves the way it looks and drives, and did not have time to deal with doing research because he trusts the shop / owner with whom he deals. I do believe that the shop foreman &/or service writer could have communicated more effectively with him about the estimate (parts & labor) than they did. My friend clearly established that he did not want to spend even $1500 on the work at the moment (Christmastime) and opted to do only the 2 of the shocks. He was not aware that his car had the SLS system because it is an iL model not the i model. I wish he would have called me but...c'est la vie, eh? Again, thanks for letting me discuss this situation here...appreciate your insights, reactions, etc.
Tim