New Dashboards
-
freedspeak
- Posts: 487
- Joined: Oct 13, 2014
- Location: Raleigh, NC
Re: New Dashboards
Yeh, you can't get one for $350 that is crack free. Pretty obvious with the other post from someone selling a crack-free dash that they are at least twice that and are simply waiting to crack.
With the dashes being made by such a reputable source at a premium cost, would there be a warranty? A few hundred dollars separating a good condition crack free 30 year old dash, made with inferior materials of that era, from a brand new dash with modern materials doesn't sound to insane to me. Is 250 the minimum order? Would the price double @ 100? I think you could find 100.
For comparison, can someone (m-racer?) who has had a good experience with "JustDashes" give a ballpark of what they paid?
The other major question is who would hold $250k in trust that this is not a retirement scam..lol... How would the $/commitment piece of this work?
I think the BMW factory batch order is an even better option (again depending on cost).
If it is comparable in price to a recover/rebuild, I would consider it a solid option. We can at least start a list using $985 with warranty, and see how quickly it fills in to judge interest. Might want to get it sticky'd or it will only be buried in a month.
1. freedspeak
With the dashes being made by such a reputable source at a premium cost, would there be a warranty? A few hundred dollars separating a good condition crack free 30 year old dash, made with inferior materials of that era, from a brand new dash with modern materials doesn't sound to insane to me. Is 250 the minimum order? Would the price double @ 100? I think you could find 100.
For comparison, can someone (m-racer?) who has had a good experience with "JustDashes" give a ballpark of what they paid?
The other major question is who would hold $250k in trust that this is not a retirement scam..lol... How would the $/commitment piece of this work?
I think the BMW factory batch order is an even better option (again depending on cost).
If it is comparable in price to a recover/rebuild, I would consider it a solid option. We can at least start a list using $985 with warranty, and see how quickly it fills in to judge interest. Might want to get it sticky'd or it will only be buried in a month.
1. freedspeak
Re: New Dashboards
Guys who own these cars are cheap-asses. There will never be a commitment for 100. You couldn't sell 10, I'd bet. For example, I wanted to have 10 rear spoilers made (fiberglass copy of the NLA OEM E24 part) @$150 each. Didn't ask for money up front, and couldn't get more than 2 guys interested. Used, cracked spoilers sell for $300-350. Everyone wants one until they have to pay.
JD is well over $2K now, I think ~$2300. When the previous owner of my E24 got mine several years ago, I think it was ~$1500 (no coin tray). There is another company doing this - Dash Restorations, in Medford, Oregon. There was an E24 group buy maybe 5 years ago, and IIRC the price was ~$700. A Google search turns up some very good reviews, but the company doesn't have any web-presence, so someone would have to call them.
JD is well over $2K now, I think ~$2300. When the previous owner of my E24 got mine several years ago, I think it was ~$1500 (no coin tray). There is another company doing this - Dash Restorations, in Medford, Oregon. There was an E24 group buy maybe 5 years ago, and IIRC the price was ~$700. A Google search turns up some very good reviews, but the company doesn't have any web-presence, so someone would have to call them.
Re: New Dashboards
This one on ebay is 350 buy it now.

250 is the minimum order.
If you can get BMW to front the order that is fine with me. They might can get it cheaper since it is one of there suppliers already.
It is going to be hard to get people to pay and commit.

250 is the minimum order.
If you can get BMW to front the order that is fine with me. They might can get it cheaper since it is one of there suppliers already.
It is going to be hard to get people to pay and commit.
-
Kyle in NO
- Posts: 17638
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA
Re: New Dashboards
Nobody will pay up front for an unknown product. Nobody.
The only route that makes any sense from a quality and cost standpoint is to order the minimum quantity needed for BMW to request a new batch made from its existing supplier. This may allow you to get a commitment up front from individuals, because they will be genuine BMW dashes. Seeing as their remaining NOS dashes are over $1000, and they were made back when there was some actual demand, new ones will probably be quite a bit more expensive. I still don't see how your dash company can design and produce a dash and all of its metal supporting structure for under $1000 each. An idea of what $1k buys you would be helpful.
The only route that makes any sense from a quality and cost standpoint is to order the minimum quantity needed for BMW to request a new batch made from its existing supplier. This may allow you to get a commitment up front from individuals, because they will be genuine BMW dashes. Seeing as their remaining NOS dashes are over $1000, and they were made back when there was some actual demand, new ones will probably be quite a bit more expensive. I still don't see how your dash company can design and produce a dash and all of its metal supporting structure for under $1000 each. An idea of what $1k buys you would be helpful.
Re: New Dashboards
Dash specialists was the company in Oregon. Their dashes were garbage. Installed one of the group buy ones in an E24 and because they just covered over the existing vinyl with new vinyl it didn't fit right between the a-pillars. The swap took me nearly 12 hours but I only charged 7. Once I finally got the dash in the car, I couldn't clip it in by the windshield. Also had a stupid shallow coin tray. Fortunately they went out of business.dcains wrote:
JD is well over $2K now, I think ~$2300. When the previous owner of my E24 got mine several years ago, I think it was ~$1500 (no coin tray). There is another company doing this - Dash Restorations, in Medford, Oregon. There was an E24 group buy maybe 5 years ago, and IIRC the price was ~$700. A Google search turns up some very good reviews, but the company doesn't have any web-presence, so someone would have to call them.
Dashboard Restorations was a company in Washington and they were bought out by Just Dashes which coincided with a 25% price increase.
E12 dash cost me $2400.
Re: New Dashboards
Perhaps instead of trying to get new dashes made, you guys should get enough $ together to buy the vacuum forming machine and restore your own dashes? Seems like it would be a lot less expensive. Only somewhat kidding. Really, competition to JD could be a business opportunity for someone.
-
freedspeak
- Posts: 487
- Joined: Oct 13, 2014
- Location: Raleigh, NC
Re: New Dashboards
Do you have a link to this? If not, what was your search criteria? I looked but could not easily find it.fred633 wrote:This one on ebay is 350 buy it now.
Re: New Dashboards
EBay item number:freedspeak wrote:Do you have a link to this? If not, what was your search criteria? I looked but could not easily find it.fred633 wrote:This one on ebay is 350 buy it now.
322306631453
Re: New Dashboards
To answer your question. My latest Just Dashes payment was about 1400 bucks for a 2002 dash...smaller than an e28 dash, which I would guess would be higher. My first one, also for an 02 has held up for about 10 years. I guess it depends on how long you are going to keep the car and what's it is worth whether it makes sense.
Re: New Dashboards
fred633 wrote:EBay item number:freedspeak wrote:Do you have a link to this? If not, what was your search criteria? I looked but could not easily find it.fred633 wrote:This one on ebay is 350 buy it now.
322306631453
Really? That is 350 euro and then add shipping from Poland so what would you expect that to be? Not to say it's not a good deal but you are implying that you can buy a dash for $350. There has been no mention as to how this new dash will be constructed and how the appearance will match the original. Many of the new dashes mentioned are of newer materials and do not match the ones in our cars. Those of us that are willing to spend the money will want assurance that the fit and finish is exactly as original. At this point I would rather spend $1000 on a new pinegrun dash from BMW and dye it to match knowing that it is going to have proper structure and design.
-
Bimmerguy2002
- Posts: 11973
- Joined: Oct 03, 2007
- Location: Lodi, California
Re: New Dashboards
I think i speak for EVERYONE here. There is no market for 1000 dollar dashes for these old cars, there are a handful of people, maybe 5 who would be willing to pay 500 tops for a new dash. These cars simply have zero value.
Re: New Dashboards
Yep. Zero value. All of those $50k plus M5s are totally worthless.
-
russellrh72
- Posts: 691
- Joined: Apr 14, 2016
- Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: New Dashboards
Man I sure hope that's not true!Bimmerguy2002 wrote:These cars simply have zero value.
-
freedspeak
- Posts: 487
- Joined: Oct 13, 2014
- Location: Raleigh, NC
Re: New Dashboards
Nope, you don't.Bimmerguy2002 wrote:I think i speak for EVERYONE here.
Re: New Dashboards
Don't tell my wife.wkohler wrote:Yep. Zero value. All of those $50k plus M5s are totally worthless.
-
Bimmerguy2002
- Posts: 11973
- Joined: Oct 03, 2007
- Location: Lodi, California
Re: New Dashboards
The problem lies in the value to very few specific people, as most E28s that are in good condition, the 1000 dollar dash is worth the car itself to an average person. The 528e driver just looking to learn info here would never consider this overpriced item (which is unrealistic), its not even a "you gotta pay to play" issue, just poor investment.wkohler wrote:Yep. Zero value. All of those $50k plus M5s are totally worthless.
Re: New Dashboards
I don't know what you're going on about really.
People have been buying used crack-free dashes for $700 or more for the last couple of years. I'm sure you noticed that these cars aren't as prevalent in the yards anymore. I remember when you couldn't give an E30 dash away and now they go for good money. Obviously something like this doesn't cater to people with the $1000 528e (not a ton of these anymore) or people that take care of their cars like you do. I don't give two shits what you think of the cost of the dash but I was simply addressing the idea that these cars are worthless. They aren't. There are plenty of great projects out there too. Some E28s have even eclipsed the six figure mark. They are in demand. Just look around.
Of course the reality of the situation is that 250 people who have $1000 or more (since it will of course be more) and are willing to spend it on an unknown product don't exist. Even if 100 of them did, 85 of them wouldn't send money to the OP for obvious reasons and lastly even if somehow the $250k materialized, I doubt this manufacturer would sell their products to BMW, Audi, Ford, Chrysler and "Fred and his Internet Buddies"
To address the idea of ordering from BMW, I talked to the guy from AG who is in charge of parts for BMW classic. When we spoke, he was currently working on acquiring bids for over 300 different part numbers from different contractors. I think this is where much of the variation from original construction comes from. With parts like a dashboard, it's hard to say what you would get. Also, the cost could very well be in the $2000 range or higher. If you want them, they will make you pay. That has been the case with several of the part numbers over the years plus since the time when the dashes went NLA, that last price listed would be way different just looking at the across the board price increases.
People have been buying used crack-free dashes for $700 or more for the last couple of years. I'm sure you noticed that these cars aren't as prevalent in the yards anymore. I remember when you couldn't give an E30 dash away and now they go for good money. Obviously something like this doesn't cater to people with the $1000 528e (not a ton of these anymore) or people that take care of their cars like you do. I don't give two shits what you think of the cost of the dash but I was simply addressing the idea that these cars are worthless. They aren't. There are plenty of great projects out there too. Some E28s have even eclipsed the six figure mark. They are in demand. Just look around.
Of course the reality of the situation is that 250 people who have $1000 or more (since it will of course be more) and are willing to spend it on an unknown product don't exist. Even if 100 of them did, 85 of them wouldn't send money to the OP for obvious reasons and lastly even if somehow the $250k materialized, I doubt this manufacturer would sell their products to BMW, Audi, Ford, Chrysler and "Fred and his Internet Buddies"
To address the idea of ordering from BMW, I talked to the guy from AG who is in charge of parts for BMW classic. When we spoke, he was currently working on acquiring bids for over 300 different part numbers from different contractors. I think this is where much of the variation from original construction comes from. With parts like a dashboard, it's hard to say what you would get. Also, the cost could very well be in the $2000 range or higher. If you want them, they will make you pay. That has been the case with several of the part numbers over the years plus since the time when the dashes went NLA, that last price listed would be way different just looking at the across the board price increases.
Re: New Dashboards
Apparently, Dash Specialists in Oregon is still around and doing some nice work. An Alfa guy I know just had his dash and center console restored by them.wkohler wrote: Dash specialists was the company in Oregon. Their dashes were garbage. Installed one of the group buy ones in an E24 and because they just covered over the existing vinyl with new vinyl it didn't fit right between the a-pillars. The swap took me nearly 12 hours but I only charged 7. Once I finally got the dash in the car, I couldn't clip it in by the windshield. Also had a stupid shallow coin tray. Fortunately they went out of business.
Dashboard Restorations was a company in Washington and they were bought out by Just Dashes which coincided with a 25% price increase.
E12 dash cost me $2400.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachm ... 1477625223
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachm ... 1480121022
Re: New Dashboards
That's too bad because their work sucks. Google search showed a photo of a house.
Also, fuck Just Dashes.
Also, fuck Just Dashes.
Re: New Dashboards
Tried talking with bmw about getting a batch made. The guy i talked to said a bunch would need to be repurchased but did not know the amount needed.
Re: New Dashboards
Did you talk to Jim at BMW?
Re: New Dashboards
I would certainly buy a new dash for my expensive worthless junk if I knew it would look, fit and last at least as long as the o.e. dash. Expectations are a bitch!
Re: New Dashboards
Ditto on that thought...bkbimmer wrote:I would certainly buy a new dash for my expensive worthless junk if I knew it would look, fit and last at least as long as the o.e. dash. Expectations are a bitch!
-Matthias
Re: New Dashboards
I did not pay a lot of attention to the guys name but I think he said Ken.wkohler wrote:Did you talk to Jim at BMW?
Re: New Dashboards
Oh. Ken doesn't know shit. Call back and ask for Jim.
Re: New Dashboards
Do you have a last name for Jim? I assume he is also with the parts consult group.
Re: New Dashboards
I just sold an uncracked dash to friend for $300, have one more would sell for $400 as I have to remove it...
Contact me at [email protected]
Thanks
Al Taylor
Contact me at [email protected]
Thanks
Al Taylor
Re: New Dashboards
As long as they come in orange, I'm in for 3.
Re: New Dashboards
Offering these dashboards:


Recovered in German vinyl - Quality is excellent and will hold up in all weather. This has been in my '85 525i for almost 1 year with no issues.

Please PM or email me off the board.
Paul:)
-- Added 02 Dec 2016 16:57 --
Dashboard German Vinyl

Triple stitched


In stock ready to go $1,000



Recovered in German vinyl - Quality is excellent and will hold up in all weather. This has been in my '85 525i for almost 1 year with no issues.

Please PM or email me off the board.
Paul:)
-- Added 02 Dec 2016 16:57 --
Dashboard German Vinyl

Triple stitched


In stock ready to go $1,000


