Sometime the search feature eludes even the most cunning.wkohler wrote:I made a post that apparently no one is seeing which addressed all of these issues.
88 M5 Oversize Rims/Tires: Noise Issue & Tire Reccomenda
-
mooseheadm5
- Posts: 23035
- Joined: Apr 08, 2009
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Contact:
Sorry, wkohler, I'm new to this forum and I don't want to alienate anyone BUT it seems folks are OK with being direct
What you said:
"With the wheels that are on the OPs, car, a 245/40/17 is very likely to rub, even on the M5. I have a set of wheels with the same dimensions on my M535i, which also has the cut and rolled arches, but not to the same degree as the M5. I'm running 225/45/17 tires on mine, which depending on the sidewall profile of the tire looks a bit weird, but on very rare occasion, they will still rub. I imagine having several people in the car will cause that."
1] I did a search for Oversize rims and tires...mine is the only post
AND
2] I asked for recommendations as to what tire could be used.
Nowhere in YOUR response do I see any recommendation assuming I wanted to keep the rims I have and get different tires....only a statement that 245/40/17 is likely to rub, something I ALREADY know since the subject of the post is that they rub.
3] I know I can go to 16s.
So you didn't really answer the question I asked. No offense intended.
What you said:
"With the wheels that are on the OPs, car, a 245/40/17 is very likely to rub, even on the M5. I have a set of wheels with the same dimensions on my M535i, which also has the cut and rolled arches, but not to the same degree as the M5. I'm running 225/45/17 tires on mine, which depending on the sidewall profile of the tire looks a bit weird, but on very rare occasion, they will still rub. I imagine having several people in the car will cause that."
1] I did a search for Oversize rims and tires...mine is the only post
AND
2] I asked for recommendations as to what tire could be used.
Nowhere in YOUR response do I see any recommendation assuming I wanted to keep the rims I have and get different tires....only a statement that 245/40/17 is likely to rub, something I ALREADY know since the subject of the post is that they rub.
3] I know I can go to 16s.
So you didn't really answer the question I asked. No offense intended.
And sometimes newbies just need more help finding stuff.GrayGohst wrote:Sometime the search feature eludes even the most cunning.wkohler wrote:I made a post that apparently no one is seeing which addressed all of these issues.
I program and set up high end studio computer systems and sometimes I sell retail rebuilt computers. I get asked the simplest questions (to me) but I answer them in a way they can understand without telling them to go search for it.
Thank you Moosehead for ACTUALLY answering my question.
Bazinga right back at you
-
mooseheadm5
- Posts: 23035
- Joined: Apr 08, 2009
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Contact:
Whoa...the last thing in the world I wanted or expected was to stir up or draw any negativity. I'm sorry I didn't understand your answer right away; please keep in mind that to you with your level of knowledge that everything you say is pretty self-evident. To someone without automotive experience it is not.wkohler wrote:Did you read the emboldened text in what I quoted from my post? I didn't realize this was math class and that all figures had to be present in an answer. I answered your question and if you don't like it, well that's too bad.
I would have handled it differently if roles had been reversed...that's all.
I didn't know I was trying to win anything. I only wasted several minutes trying to help answer your question. I can go delete the post if that would help you further, as apparently it was a complete waste of effort. Using the written word to convey thought is only useful if the person on the other end reads all of the words. I should have considered that this wasn't going to go well before posting.
Look, I AM quite sorry for my role in this. I did and do appreciate your taking the time to respond. That's what this is all about; sharing your knowledge with others who need help and I am one of those people.wkohler wrote:I didn't know I was trying to win anything. I only wasted several minutes trying to help answer your question. I can go delete the post if that would help you further, as apparently it was a complete waste of effort. Using the written word to convey thought is only useful if the person on the other end reads all of the words. I should have considered that this wasn't going to go well before posting.
Before asking for help, I did try my best to educate myself about the terminology...before yesterday, I never ever heard of the word offset with respect to wheels and I'm still wrapping my head around the concept.
I know you answered my question "kind of" in Moosehead's words, but I didn't understand the answer and that has more to do with me than it does with you. Can we start over and pretend this argument never happened? I really DO appreciate the fact you took the time to even respond in the first place. THANK YOU!
I'm going to see if this entire post can be deleted.
I tried it out and saw..no way. I also noticed there were no 8 1/2 17s with the rim that's on my vehicle. I have to wonder whether the previous owner ever drove the car or cared that they rubbed. What was he thinking?mooseheadm5 wrote:Actually he did kind of tell you that 225s occasionally rub on his M535i and that the M5 has a hair more fender clearance, so he did answer. I just plugged in some numbers on Shawn D.'s spreadsheet, which you can find in the Tech FAQ section of the forum. Try it out and see.
I'm going to try a 225 before plunging in for a set. Or else back down to 16s. Thank you (and MKohler) and everyone else for helping out. Do appreciate it.
Thanks for the information and your kindness in allowing me to press the reset button. Both are VERY much appreciated !wkohler wrote:I edited my post to include what I hope is the missing information that may have been assumed. Hope it clears things up.
If you decide to shop for 225/45s, you want to look at tires with a slightly narrower overall width. I think the Continental Extreme Contact DW will fit the bill for you.
I'll start the search for the Continentals!

