I haven't tried it, but I've heard very good things about citric acid. Supposedly it works well, but isn't too hard on things. A coworked told me the winerys all use it to clean things because it's food safe, but still strong enough to do some good.Coldswede wrote: If you want to go the acid flush after the detergent flush as Winfred mentions, I used citric acid crystals in mine and worked very well.
What happens if you mix Dexcool and standard green coolant?
-
Lucas_Roehr
- Posts: 1139
- Joined: Nov 06, 2008
- Location: Sacramento, CA
-
andyleonard
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Jan 31, 2013
Not that the applications are similar, but the flathead Fords all came without the casting sand completely removed. There's naturally been a long-enduring war to remove same and all the rust/gup/sediment that's settled in there over the years and an approved fix is to run 2 gallons of white vinegar for a day, drain, examine, repeat until all clear.
Not sure about BMW aluminum castings, radiators and waterpump bearings, but....it's $2.
Not sure about BMW aluminum castings, radiators and waterpump bearings, but....it's $2.
With the ignition ON, HVAC temp set full hot, the radiator cap off, and the block and radiator drain plugs removed ... shouldn't the coolant drain from the heater core?
Or does it require its own special step involving disconnecting the lines from the heater control valve and flushing the heater core seperately?
Jeremy
Or does it require its own special step involving disconnecting the lines from the heater control valve and flushing the heater core seperately?
Jeremy
-
Frybrid 524td
- Posts: 2689
- Joined: May 27, 2009
- Location: ...
No, I think you're going to need to run the engine with water in there and HVAC open to flush out the gunk in the heater core. Flushing with the block and radiator open isn't going to get back into the core.Jeremy wrote:With the ignition ON, HVAC temp set full hot, the radiator cap off, and the block and radiator drain plugs removed ... shouldn't the coolant drain from the heater core?
Or does it require its own special step involving disconnecting the lines from the heater control valve and flushing the heater core seperately?
Jeremy
I understand it won't really flush, but it should drain under those conditions and be reasonably (though not completely) empty, right?Frybrid 524td wrote:No, I think you're going to need to run the engine with water in there and HVAC open to flush out the gunk in the heater core. Flushing with the block and radiator open isn't going to get back into the core.
-
mooseheadm5
- Posts: 23035
- Joined: Apr 08, 2009
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Contact:
I didn't know that. OK, so when I flush it, which is the inlet and which is the outlet so I can make sure to backflush it? Will it be obvious? I can't remember what things look like back there at the moment.mooseheadm5 wrote:No, because the inlet and outlet of the heater core are higher than the core itself.
-
Lucas_Roehr
- Posts: 1139
- Joined: Nov 06, 2008
- Location: Sacramento, CA
bingo!! My method for cars like these is to take both heater hoses off and flush water back and forth until its clean. It seems like typically some of the sediment gets trapped when water flows one way. It'll look clean, but flowing water back the other way will produce a nice puff of sediment again. Same goes for the entire rest of the cooling system. You can take off the thermostat to flow water through the block. And when you think you got it all and everything flows clear, when the system heat cycles it will break some of the stubborn sediment free and tint the cooling system rusty brown again. I am describing some severe cases that I have seen, but your description sounds like it may fall into the "severe" category. Also, be careful putting pressure to the heater core from a garden hose, it is only designed for 15 psi, and heater cores are a fairly long job in these old hogs. if its not flowing freely, be careful how hard you force the water in...mooseheadm5 wrote:No, because the inlet and outlet of the heater core are higher than the core itself.
My advice is (if you want to hear it) to not replace any of the hoses, or fill it with coolant, yet. but rinse it clean, fill it with water, drive it a few days, rinse it clean again. Repeat until it stops tinting the water brown. Then replace all of the hoses, especially the crunchy ones. The "crunchy hoses" description you mentioned is what leads me to believe that yours is severely corroded. I bet they are lined in solidified silty gunk, and the noise you are hearing is the crusty crap crunching when the hose changes shape.
-
Lucas_Roehr
- Posts: 1139
- Joined: Nov 06, 2008
- Location: Sacramento, CA


