"Cali" bumper mod....anybody else tried this?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Even from 20 feet away I can see the issues with his mod. There are gaps between the bumper trim and the rub strip. The air dam has a curve that normally mates up with the bumper trim that is now pushed back, so it looks out of place. I know that you'll have to remove or severely hack the front valance, which is what the air dam bolts to in the first place. It also appears to be held on with visible screws at the rear.

I think that if you put in a lot of work, and probably a bit of money, you can achieve the same look, but I'm not sure that it is something to strive for when the alternative is something that can look as good as this:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6240/6273 ... 2833_b.jpg

(big picture)
TrakRat
Posts: 112
Joined: Sep 21, 2012
Location: Canada

Post by TrakRat »

[quote="mooseheadm5"]Even from 20 feet away I can see the issues with his mod. There are gaps between the bumper trim and the rub strip. The air dam has a curve that normally mates up with the bumper trim that is now pushed back, so it looks out of place. I know that you'll have to remove or severely hack the front valance, which is what the air dam bolts to in the first place. It also appears to be held on with visible screws at the rear.

I think that if you put in a lot of work, and probably a bit of money, you can achieve the same look, but I'm not sure that it is something to strive for when the alternative is something that can look as good as this:



Thank you for the feedback...I didn't consider modifications to the valance itself. As for the bumper trim, I think it was "narrowed" to help reduce the gap from the rub strip, even though there's still some in the pics. I'll take a closer look at it this week when I get the car up on the hoist.

I've seen that pic before of the red e28 euro M5, good one!
tschultz
Posts: 4157
Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Location: Denver, Colorado
Contact:

Post by tschultz »

I'm not sure I can pass judgement of it looking great. Photography that is done nicely, such as the photo you showed us, will definitely hide imperfections.

I'd prefer to see photos of the entire car from different agles.
I don't mind the US bumpers, and from certain angles it looks great-- from other angles, well they don't flatter the car.

Let's see some more photos from various angles and then decide. I can't really tell from the shadows that it's any different from the common tuck.
DangerWillRbnsn
Posts: 442
Joined: Sep 29, 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Post by DangerWillRbnsn »

tschultz wrote:I'm not sure I can pass judgement of it looking great. Photography that is done nicely, such as the photo you showed us, will definitely hide imperfections.

I'd prefer to see photos of the entire car from different agles.
I don't mind the US bumpers, and from certain angles it looks great-- from other angles, well they don't flatter the car.

Let's see some more photos from various angles and then decide. I can't really tell from the shadows that it's any different from the common tuck.
I think it COULD look good... if it were done with a little more work. Clearly the car pictured has issues with fitment, but I personally don't think the idea isn't terrible. Execution is everything.
ahab
Posts: 6224
Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Location: Chalfont, PA

Post by ahab »

TrakRat wrote:Sure have....per my original post, I'm looking at doing a wee bit more than a mild bumper tuck. It involves trimming the plastic trim, modifying/shortening the front airdam and associated bracketry.
Also fail. A lot of us here have been driving these cars for 25 years or more and some are what are called purists. When individuals come along suggesting "rad" modifications they are usually met with disdain, especially when it concerns drilling holes in your bumper shocks and taking tin snips to your front end. It has happened countless times in the past. Trust me, your searching efforts must not have been specific enough if you didn't come across more than a little negativity. Perhaps anyone who attempted it at the "advanced" level you're talking about didn't bother documenting the shit show once completed. Having undone a few mods like you're suggesting doing to your car, in order to return them the to their designed appearance, I can tell you from firsthand experience that your homemade front end will not be worth the time and money spent on it compared to a Euro conversion, and will look like shit. IMHorthodoxO. Just like Mr. Stair's car. (I especially like way he didn't want to retain the "straight and level" look, classy). This is why stanceworks was invented. They all got the mad skillz you're looking to tap into. Don't come here and ask for "suggestions, tips or hands on experience with this modification" if you don't want suggestions like mine in amongst all the others. Please be sure and document the process for us because you're likely 100% correct. There will be someone after you who wants to do the same thing and your updates will be a benefit to the "E28 community". :roll: No one else will have to start a new thread about it.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

ldsbeaker wrote:
DangerWillRbnsn wrote:
ldsbeaker wrote:...then ease it back straight using plain old leverage.
Says the 6'6", 280lb Marine. :laugh:
I'm BIG BONED, dammit! (6'4", 250ish) :oops:

No really, though. I used a "bottle" jack from my old suburban and some wood to "ease" out the core support on my copper e30. The frame rail (tied to the core support), went and mostly straightened itself out as I pushed the core support out.

Then did the same maneuver to "un-total" the damage on my ix. It's not perfect and won't ever win a concours, but the previously smashed in rear fender was straight enough afterwards to put the taillight in with no monkey business.

The metal just isn't that thick really.
Maybe that's been my issue. I tried using a 2 ft prybar. yeah, I don't think that will work very well. I do need to try to get a larger pole and stick it in there and wiggle it around a bit (giggity).

I really want Euro bumpers in the future and really don't want to leave my frame rail screwed forever. If it isn't done by vintage, would you be able to assess it in more detail for me Adam?
ahab wrote:
TrakRat wrote:Sure have....per my original post, I'm looking at doing a wee bit more than a mild bumper tuck. It involves trimming the plastic trim, modifying/shortening the front airdam and associated bracketry.
Also fail. A lot of us here have been driving these cars for 25 years or more and some are what are called purists. When individuals come along suggesting "rad" modifications they are usually met with disdain, especially when it concerns drilling holes in your bumper shocks and taking tin snips to your front end. It has happened countless times in the past. Trust me, your searching efforts must not have been specific enough if you didn't come across more than a little negativity. Perhaps anyone who attempted it at the "advanced" level you're talking about didn't bother documenting the shit show once completed. Having undone a few mods like you're suggesting doing to your car, in order to return them the to their designed appearance, I can tell you from firsthand experience that your homemade front end will not be worth the time and money spent on it compared to a Euro conversion, and will look like shit. IMHorthodoxO. Just like Mr. Stair's car. (I especially like way he didn't want to retain the "straight and level" look, classy). This is why stanceworks was invented. They all got the mad skillz you're looking to tap into. Don't come here and ask for "suggestions, tips or hands on experience with this modification" if you don't want suggestions like mine in amongst all the others. Please be sure and document the process for us because you're likely 100% correct. There will be someone after you who wants to do the same thing and your updates will be a benefit to the "E28 community". :roll: No one else will have to start a new thread about it.
Well written. I totally agree with his line of thinking. (this coming from a non purist with squirrels on his car)
TrakRat
Posts: 112
Joined: Sep 21, 2012
Location: Canada

Post by TrakRat »

ahab wrote:
TrakRat wrote:Sure have....per my original post, I'm looking at doing a wee bit more than a mild bumper tuck. It involves trimming the plastic trim, modifying/shortening the front airdam and associated bracketry.
Also fail. A lot of us here have been driving these cars for 25 years or more and some are what are called purists. When individuals come along suggesting "rad" modifications they are usually met with disdain, especially when it concerns drilling holes in your bumper shocks and taking tin snips to your front end. It has happened countless times in the past. Trust me, your searching efforts must not have been specific enough if you didn't come across more than a little negativity. Perhaps anyone who attempted it at the "advanced" level you're talking about didn't bother documenting the shit show once completed. Having undone a few mods like you're suggesting doing to your car, in order to return them the to their designed appearance, I can tell you from firsthand experience that your homemade front end will not be worth the time and money spent on it compared to a Euro conversion, and will look like shit. IMHorthodoxO. Just like Mr. Stair's car. (I especially like way he didn't want to retain the "straight and level" look, classy). This is why stanceworks was invented. They all got the mad skillz you're looking to tap into. Don't come here and ask for "suggestions, tips or hands on experience with this modification" if you don't want suggestions like mine in amongst all the others. Please be sure and document the process for us because you're likely 100% correct. There will be someone after you who wants to do the same thing and your updates will be a benefit to the "E28 community". :roll: No one else will have to start a new thread about it.
Thanks for the comments and taking the time to share your experience. I'm not too concerned about the undoing of the "rad mods", as nothing I'm about to attempt will inhibit the ability to go Euro if this doesn't meet my expectations.

In response to your comment:

"Trust me, your searching efforts must not have been specific enough if you didn't come across more than a little negativity."

When searching for information, I typically skim past the ego-centric posts, negativity and sarcasm...and focus on the constructive criticism that will allow me to achieve my end goal, whether it turns out to be successful or not. It's worked well for me in business and life in general...hopefully it helps with this specific car project as well.

Best,
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

Oh, you're one of those.
AshEvans
Posts: 109
Joined: Jan 28, 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA

Post by AshEvans »

ahab wrote:
TrakRat wrote:if all fails I'll go with Euro bumpers
consider it fail
Nice work. :lol:
S38Mike
Posts: 865
Joined: Jul 01, 2011
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Post by S38Mike »

Bimmerguy2002 wrote:i saw "stanceworks", closed the browser, uninstalled firefox, shut my computer down, formatted the hard drive, burned it, buried the remains, and did a fresh install of windows 98 so i could unsee what i had seen.
:rofl:
S38Mike
Posts: 865
Joined: Jul 01, 2011
Location: South Bay, SoCal

Post by S38Mike »

If its a clean unmolested M5 I'd leave it alone as far as bumpers and airdam. It's only original once.
SparkJR
Posts: 200
Joined: May 22, 2011
Location: Napa, CA

Post by SparkJR »

I have an M5/is airdam with a mild bumper-tuck on my car. Measured multiple times making sure the airdam wouldn't jut out from underneath the bumper. it sits just behind the edge, license plate is flush against it with a piece of foam tape to keep it from rubbing off the paint. almost no trim-gap. like i said, mild. I highly suggest you at least try this before making the extensive modifications that you're about to take on.

I'm no purist, not anything near the sorts. I'm not telling you not to take on the "Cali(fornia) style" bumper project, hell if done right it could look clean and hopefully much better than pictured in that stanceworks shot. But i am saying somewhere along the way you have to at least give it a shot. if you don't like it, go about your day and continue as planned.


These aren't the best pictures of the tuck but its what i have.

Image
Test fit
Image
Used a bottlejack so we could have more control of the pressure. final product wasn't this far in, the bumper pushed out after the jack was removed.
Image
Final look
Image
Image
Image

I'll take some side profile shots this weekend.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

SparkJR wrote:I have an M5/is airdam with a mild bumper-tuck on my car. Measured multiple times making sure the airdam wouldn't jut out from underneath the bumper. it sits just behind the edge, license plate is flush against it with a piece of foam tape to keep it from rubbing off the paint. almost no trim-gap. like i said, mild. I highly suggest you at least try this before making the extensive modifications that you're about to take on.

I'm no purist, not anything near the sorts. I'm not telling you not to take on the "Cali(fornia) style" bumper project, hell if done right it could look clean and hopefully much better than pictured in that stanceworks shot. But i am saying somewhere along the way you have to at least give it a shot. if you don't like it, go about your day and continue as planned.


These aren't the best pictures of the tuck but its what i have.

Image
Test fit
Image
Used a bottlejack so we could have more control of the pressure. final product wasn't this far in, the bumper pushed out after the jack was removed.
Image
Final look
Image
Image
Image

I'll take some side profile shots this weekend.
The PO of my iS tucked the bumpers and I thought it looked good aside from the damaged airdam.

Image

Side profile
Image
alijonny
Posts: 5612
Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by alijonny »

DangerWillRbnsn wrote:
ldsbeaker wrote:...then ease it back straight using plain old leverage.
Says the 6'6", 250lb Marine. :laugh:
OORAH!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :alright:
TrakRat
Posts: 112
Joined: Sep 21, 2012
Location: Canada

Post by TrakRat »

thanks for the pics sparkjr and shagrath....it's tough to find the side profile shots on the web.

I expect to start working on this by the weekend and finish by the following weekend. Will keep this thread updated as progress (or regress in the eyes of some on this forum :) ) is made.
rhinosaROSS
Posts: 15
Joined: Aug 18, 2011

"California bumper"

Post by rhinosaROSS »

TrakRat. PM me if you're genuinely interested. I have no problem sharing for those that would like to know. As for the rest of you guys, everyone is entitled to their opinion of my car and what I have done with it. I can assure you, I love the chassis just as much as all of you, and take care of it as well as anyone. I just have different taste I suppose. That being said, I love to read the C&C and your guys' thoughts on the things I have done, so keep it up.

-Riley
derrith
Posts: 2980
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post by derrith »

wkohler wrote:That's what Da Red Rocket did.
I laughed.
juan c.
Posts: 57
Joined: Jun 03, 2010
Location: Northampton, MA

Post by juan c. »

I'm thinking about something similar. I am obsessed with getting rid of the US bumpers on my is. All the guys on here talk about messing with the "original design", but that "design" was a concession to the insurance industry or whomever, so f- that.
I won't do this until I convince myself I can make it look ok (I probably can't), but I was thinking about removing the bumpers and shocks, but keeping the plastic trim and filling the hole with something. Making that look good will be really tough, and on top of that I would have to trim and tuck the is airdam to get rid of the "underbite" look. It's not a daily driver, and if someone hits me it'll likely be a loss with or without proper bumpers.
I wouldn't, however, do this to an ///M; they're too valuable. The euro conversion is the way to go, but too expensive to me for a car that's worth $4k if I'm lucky.
Sorry I don't have any advice for you, just my thoughts about the bumper "problem".
Last edited by juan c. on May 07, 2013 12:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

juan c. wrote:I'm thinking about something similar. I am obsessed with getting rid of the US bumpers on my is. All the guys on here talk about messing with the "original design", but that "design" was a concession to the insurance industry or whomever, so f- that.
I won't do this until I convince myself I can make it look ok (I probably can't), but I was thinking about removing the bumpers and shocks, but keeping the plastic trim and filling the hole with something. Making that look good will be really tough, and on top of that I would have to trim and tuck the is airdam to get rid of the "underbite" look.
I wouldn't, however, do this to an ///M; they're too valuable. The euro c
US bumpers were never the original design anyway. :D

Check this stuff out:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=78094

:D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by shagrath on May 07, 2013 12:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.
juan c.
Posts: 57
Joined: Jun 03, 2010
Location: Northampton, MA

Post by juan c. »

That's my point. They were a compromise.
Post Reply