Speedometer problems

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
foundation982
Posts: 125
Joined: Dec 20, 2012
Location: Nashville TN

Post by foundation982 »

I'm going to test the wires then have another look at the sensor, I'm starting the believe that's what the problem is, anyone know where to source one that cheap? just did a quick browse online and everywhere wants from $70-85 :roll:
gidgaf
Posts: 391
Joined: Feb 22, 2011
Location: LAX, Kalifornia

sensoring

Post by gidgaf »

Mine was just crappy.
When I finally got around to changing my diff oil, it stunk,
Not like gear oil, but like old thick gooey fish oil.
And I had read somewhere (here) that the sensor gets gloppy.
So I changed out the oil, removed the sensor, cleaned it off nice and almost shiny, reassembled, and test drove it.
That little speedo shimmy I thought was supposed to be there- was gone.
YMMV, of course.
But this seems to be a common occurrence.

I've changed diffs three times since then.
And as long as I'm there ...
Fresh oil, cleaned sensor.
foundation982
Posts: 125
Joined: Dec 20, 2012
Location: Nashville TN

Re: sensoring

Post by foundation982 »

gidgaf wrote:Mine was just crappy.
When I finally got around to changing my diff oil, it stunk,
Not like gear oil, but like old thick gooey fish oil.
And I had read somewhere (here) that the sensor gets gloppy.
So I changed out the oil, removed the sensor, cleaned it off nice and almost shiny, reassembled, and test drove it.
That little speedo shimmy I thought was supposed to be there- was gone.
YMMV, of course.
But this seems to be a common occurrence.

I've changed diffs three times since then.
And as long as I'm there ...
Fresh oil, cleaned sensor.
Hmmm think this is my problem too, I took the impulse sensor and metal shavings were stuck all along the left side, because it is a magnet the metal stuck to it causing the problem, I tested the sensor and it works perfectly fine.

I ordered some redline 75w90 off amazon, when that arrives I'm going to flush it with diesel fuel and refill see if that solves the problem.
foundation982
Posts: 125
Joined: Dec 20, 2012
Location: Nashville TN

Post by foundation982 »

Okay cleaned the differential out, flushed then changed the fluid. Still made no difference. Also checked the connections under the rear seat and they seem to be fine. I also connected a ohm meter to so it, it had continuity and had a friend roll the car backwards and it clicked on and off as the impulse sensor should.

I'm really running out of ideas of what it could be i just want a freaking speedometer that works :cry:
DJM1986-5
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Location: Greenville, SC

Post by DJM1986-5 »

And now for something completely ridiculous...I had a similar problem and found...while driving with the speedo pulled out on the left side that the first plug connector - far left side of the cluster- was not making a good connection . I pushed on it while driving and discovered the plug to the problem. Further investigation found that an individual wire in the plug was pushed back in the connector so it made intermittent contact which is why slapping the cluster made it work off and on. Take apart your white connector and see if the wires are all positioned correctly....Aside from all the perfectly normal solutions and remedies posted above, try this..empty parking lots, of course are best for driving whilst troubleshooting. :laugh:
n00dle
Posts: 68
Joined: May 18, 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post by n00dle »

find another known good cluster.
Post Reply