Ireland Engineering Catback muffler setup on 88 535is..?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
fiver diver
Posts: 467
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: Ohio

Post by fiver diver »

vadread wrote: Yup if I could do it over...I would not go with this exhaust... Poo Poo.... on Ireland Engineering.
So are you going to call them up and have them tell you you're crazy, or just live with their crappy design and denial issues? ;)

It looks like they DID change the design, and still didn't get it right. :roll:

Well.....at least there's yet one more thread out there that plainly shows it doesn't fit......
Blue Shadow
Posts: 10534
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SE PA

Post by Blue Shadow »

So did the muffler get bolted to the body at that location?

If so, not good. The exhaust system is fixed to the motor. The exhaust system gets hot and expands and needs somewhere to lengthen. If it is fixed at the front and the rear it will flex between these points and cause gaskets to leak or worse.

Retrofitting the BMW hanger with the rubber donut at the rear is the way to go on that rear hanger.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

The rubber hanger is there. The old exhaust was unbolted from it and the new one has a piece that bridges the gap I imagine. Doesn't seem hard mounted to the car.
Blue Shadow
Posts: 10534
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SE PA

Post by Blue Shadow »

wkohler wrote:The rubber hanger is there. The old exhaust was unbolted from it and the new one has a piece that bridges the gap I imagine. Doesn't seem hard mounted to the car.
I was reading the rest of the thread. Does look like he has the donut.

Why can't someone dedicate 100,000 dollars to R&D to produce an 500 cat back for these cars and make maybe a c-note on each one? Cause the payback is not there.

The MM System 300 is out there but it is a cat and exhaust and sells for 1350. That is BMW cat back territory.

Hell Tischers cat back BMW parts price is 622, that is the way to go. Why would anyone want an aftermarket for more than 300 bucks knowing the BMW part will last 15 years or so.
vadread
Posts: 128
Joined: Dec 01, 2011

Post by vadread »

I'll post some pics of the rear hanger setup...yes they used a peace of metal with bolt holes to bridge the gap... Can someone post a pic oh how it is suppose to look with the doughnut..?

Oh and there is more to my story... So ever since I go the muffler installed Wednesday..It's been sounding like there is more noise coming from under the car than out of the back. So I take it back to the ghetto Meineke in the Bronx where they did the work... Guy tells me... Oh the exhaust leak is coming from the weld points around the cat (that's because the idiot who did the install, connected the new muffler to the cat and did not bother to support it at the other end, while he worked on tightening it to the flangs)... So picture those 25yo weld joints on the cat flangs supporting the weight of the entire cat-back system, so of course they broke loose. So they tell me it will be 1200.00 to replace my cat because it is one peace from the manifold all the way back to the cat end... I had them weld the joints back to seal them off for $30 dollars... which was no help what so ever.

So now I'm thinking hell delete the F@#$%!g cat ant put in 2 straight pipes. I found another muffler shop (much nicer place, wish I had found it first) willing to do the job... However the owner convinced me that that to delete the cat wold make it too loud, and that he could cut out my cat and replace it with a new one for 250....Done car sounds fine...... My only question her is would it have been ok wit the straight pipes instead....
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

Yes.
winfred
Posts: 2839
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: loserana

Post by winfred »

if you have a leak at the stock cat its likely the typical shitload of cracks in the body, pry all of the heatshields off and it'll probably have 1-20 or more cracks in the body of the cat top and bottom, they can all be welded up and it'll be ok if the brick is not loose inside

you could get lucky and the valance has been bent to shit by some asshole for some other POS that didn't fit, or its rusted out and self clearancing
mooseheadm5 wrote:I still don't get how they can say you "might" have the problem on "some" E28s. You will have it on all of them.
euro635gas
Posts: 1085
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Oregon

Post by euro635gas »

Couldn't you just bend the rear valance up a shmear? I mean its just sheet metal on what looks like a rusted out car anyway.

The analasity of perfect e28 parts(purchased known aftermarket china made parts)is really funny.
vadread
Posts: 128
Joined: Dec 01, 2011

Post by vadread »

euro635gas wrote:Couldn't you just bend the rear valance up a shmear? I mean its just sheet metal on what looks like a rusted out car anyway.
Hey...My car is not rusted out..it actually has very little rust at all.. If it did, I would not be putting all this time and money into it.. Hell I am actually amazed (and so is everyone else that looks at it) at how very little rust it has....
:(
vadread
Posts: 128
Joined: Dec 01, 2011

Post by vadread »

Ok its been a little while since I installed the new IE muffler, and I gotta say I am not that happy with it. It's basically too noisy. If I could do it all over again I would not buy this thing. The drone is definitely there. Now I have a little fire burning in my ear to buy the Bosal and pop that in. If I do the IE will go up for sale at around $400.00. Potential buyers raise your hands..
craigb93
Posts: 718
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Cumming, GA

Post by craigb93 »

vadread wrote:Ok its been a little while since I installed the new IE muffler, and I gotta say I am not that happy with it. It's basically too noisy. If I could do it all over again I would not buy this thing. The drone is definitely there. Now I have a little fire burning in my ear to buy the Bosal and pop that in. If I do the IE will go up for sale at around $400.00. Potential buyers raise your hands..
If you buy a stock anything else get ANSA Muffler BW4547 and ANSA Resonator BW4545. You will be happier than with the one piece Bosal. More opportunity to custom align the parts at installation.
-Dick
Dana R
Posts: 2022
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Winchester, MA

Post by Dana R »

craigb93 wrote:
vadread wrote:Ok its been a little while since I installed the new IE muffler, and I gotta say I am not that happy with it. It's basically too noisy. If I could do it all over again I would not buy this thing. The drone is definitely there. Now I have a little fire burning in my ear to buy the Bosal and pop that in. If I do the IE will go up for sale at around $400.00. Potential buyers raise your hands..
If you buy a stock anything else get ANSA Muffler BW4547 and ANSA Resonator BW4545. You will be happier than with the one piece Bosal. More opportunity to custom align the parts at installation.
-Dick
This is good advice, but I'm going to give you great advice:

Buy the proper BMW unit from www.thebmwpartstore.com for $588. You'll thank me a million times when you drive it.
vadread
Posts: 128
Joined: Dec 01, 2011

Post by vadread »

Dana R wrote:
Buy the proper BMW unit from www.thebmwpartstore.com for $588. You'll thank me a million times when you drive it.
Dana I am not sure where your getting you numbers from.. there is nothing there under $1200.00. Which is why I went with the 499. IE muffler in the first place... Bosal looking good....
n00dle
Posts: 68
Joined: May 18, 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post by n00dle »

I picked up a Walker Quietflow #47656 for $300 shipped from Autozone with a coupon they're always sending out. It's normally $335.
It bolted right up and seems pretty sturdy and well built, though time will tell. So far so good.

Image

Image

Image

Image
vadread
Posts: 128
Joined: Dec 01, 2011

Post by vadread »

That's one mighty fine looking exhaust....I making a note of the name and model number....
Dana R
Posts: 2022
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Winchester, MA

Post by Dana R »

vadread wrote:
Dana R wrote:
Buy the proper BMW unit from www.thebmwpartstore.com for $588. You'll thank me a million times when you drive it.
Dana I am not sure where your getting you numbers from.. there is nothing there under $1200.00. Which is why I went with the 499. IE muffler in the first place... Bosal looking good....
Just put the part number for the factory exhaust, 18121178263, into www.thebmwpartstore.com page, and the correct price will come up.
Post Reply