Fuel Leak/Smell. Help with fuel hose replacement.

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Slow_Ballin'
Posts: 1425
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Sacramento

Post by Slow_Ballin' »

It's actually been below freezing at night and just creeping I to the 50's. I don't mi d though, found an OEM supplier locally that sells at wholesale so I will have the new tank and new coolant hose this afternoon.
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

tn535i wrote:
ElGuappo wrote:
wkohler wrote:Is the check valve actually still available? I was under the impression that it had gone NLA. I never looked further than what I read here though.
Its completely NLA.
I ended up buying one from a diesel supply place via eBay, for $14 shipped.
Installed on the e23, starts much quicker in the mornings now.
Rats.... I think my 6 could use one. It's the only BMW in our fleet that doesn't have one and I was planning to get one soon. So what is a good alternative?
I ordered a 5/16" check valve from Diesel Care & Performance on eBay for $11+3shipping.
Listed as: 5/16" check valve diesel or gas 8m one way fuel flow
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

Mike W. wrote:$27 a meter? Try $14 a foot! That's what my local NAPA wanted for some Goodyear hose. More like $45 a meter.

I get it at AutohausAZ, I have to dig a little with different models and years to find the right stuff, but it comes BMW branded and in the length I order, not 1M segments. I also like their hose clamps better, they do a better job of encircling the hose smoothly. I prefer a nut drive to phillips, but I like the band better, you get a smoother, rounder clamp.
Whatever happened to the Moosehead fuel hose by the roll idea?
I remember this with excitement, as receiving multiple 1m pieces of fuel hose sends me into a rage. :evil:
pleasefixitup
Posts: 1856
Joined: Nov 21, 2011
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois

Post by pleasefixitup »

Slow_Ballin' wrote:It's actually been below freezing at night and just creeping I to the 50's. I don't mi d though, found an OEM supplier locally that sells at wholesale so I will have the new tank and new coolant hose this afternoon.
Oh wow! It's about 30 here in chicago--I don't mind it--but I can't even remember what 60 feels like!

New tank = awesome!

I need a washer fluid tank--not the biggest deal.
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

Slow_Ballin' wrote: found an OEM supplier locally that sells at wholesale so I will have the new tank and new coolant hose this afternoon.
You mind sharing this discovery?
Slow_Ballin'
Posts: 1425
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Sacramento

Post by Slow_Ballin' »

They may not be "wholesale" but they sell at the same price as Pelican/AutoHausAZ.

FPS in Sacramento off of Elvas Ave. Tank was $59 the same as AutoHaus and Pelican and the Expansion tank hose was $11, cheaper than online. A friend recommended it to me. When I pick up the parts this afternoon ill complete my review!
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

FPS isn't wholesale, they are a nice direct to public retailer.
I have bought from them before, good service but not always the best prices.
But for many things you 'have to have' right NOW, and certainly can't get at autozone/oreillys/pepboys/Napa, its the way to go.

You really bought a NEW expansion tank?
:shock:
Slow_Ballin'
Posts: 1425
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Sacramento

Post by Slow_Ballin' »

ElGuappo wrote:FPS isn't wholesale, they are a nice direct to public retailer.
I have bought from them before, good service but not always the best prices.
But for many things you 'have to have' right NOW, and certainly can't get at autozone/oreillys/pepboys/Napa, its the way to go.

You really bought a NEW expansion tank?
:shock:
Yeah it was only $54 and I needed it ASAP, thir price for the tank was the same as pelican and AutoHaus and they got it for me same day. I have my daughter today so a pick n pull trip would have been complicated lol
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

Ah yeah, the PnP gets sidelined when nobody else can watch my boys.
They are looking forward to turning 16 so they can go to the yard with dad...so proud. :cool:
Slow_Ballin'
Posts: 1425
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Sacramento

Post by Slow_Ballin' »

ElGuappo wrote:Ah yeah, the PnP gets sidelined when nobody else can watch my boys.
They are looking forward to turning 16 so they can go to the yard with dad...so proud. :cool:
Another 14 1/2 years and I can bring my daughter along lol
garageboy
Posts: 2488
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New York City
Contact:

Post by garageboy »

Slow_Ballin' wrote:
ElGuappo wrote:Ah yeah, the PnP gets sidelined when nobody else can watch my boys.
They are looking forward to turning 16 so they can go to the yard with dad...so proud. :cool:
Another 14 1/2 years and I can bring my daughter along lol
Your kids better realize how lucky they are! My folks never did that with me -- it was not even in the realm of possibility. I had to learn all wrenching on my own from friends. Didn't go to my first boneyard until I was in my 20s...
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

garageboy wrote:
Slow_Ballin' wrote:
ElGuappo wrote:Ah yeah, the PnP gets sidelined when nobody else can watch my boys.
They are looking forward to turning 16 so they can go to the yard with dad...so proud. :cool:
Another 14 1/2 years and I can bring my daughter along lol
Your kids better realize how lucky they are! My folks never did that with me -- it was not even in the realm of possibility. I had to learn all wrenching on my own from friends. Didn't go to my first boneyard until I was in my 20s...
Same here, which is why it's doubly important to me that my sons learn all the 'manly arts' they can.
Al the damn kids today aren't being taugh how to be Men.
Just big Nancy boys
pleasefixitup
Posts: 1856
Joined: Nov 21, 2011
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois

Post by pleasefixitup »

Glad I was around cars my whole life....

Dad wouldn't let me do it as a career, actually pulled me out of the certification courses I was scheduled to take while I was in high school....I still think about how my life would be different...
I will say, I don't mind him wanting "more" for me and my future...

Hobbies can be my hobbies and my career can be my career--They shouldn't intertwine I suppose.

But it's nice to sit down and talk to him about the work we do on our cars....

Next is a rat rod! ;)
Slow_Ballin'
Posts: 1425
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Sacramento

Post by Slow_Ballin' »

Combining my hobby and career was the best decision I ever made.

"You should do what you enjoy, not what get you most dollars."

Mr. Wong- Nuclear Physicist turned automotive instructor who motivated me to do what I LOVE, getting my hands dirty...
Post Reply