Alignment woes. I don't believe these knuckleheads!

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
unt0uchable
Posts: 2265
Joined: Jul 21, 2011
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Contact:

Post by unt0uchable »

pleasefixitup wrote:perhaps I got some "misinformation"

how do you do it with a set of freeplates and tape measure?
I'd like to know this as well since I plan on doing my ucabs and checking my measurements while I'm in there.
alijonny
Posts: 5612
Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by alijonny »

Where do you guys plan to find turn plates?
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

pleasefixitup wrote:perhaps I got some "misinformation"

how do you do it with a set of freeplates and tape measure?
The same way we do it at the race track without freeplates and with a tape measure. We first find a hard flat level surface (At Road America, there are a few former concrete scale pads where tech is no longer done.) and we roll the car onto it. Measure the distance between the same corresponding grooves on the front and rear of the front tires.* [Assuming you have the tie rod ends loose enough to adjust:] Then you set the toe where you want it by using the difference between the two. After each adjustment, roll the car a few feet forward, then back, to compensate for the lack of a freeplate, until your measurement is where you want it. If you want your steering wheel to remain 'straight', do all your adjustment on one side, then back it off by half (If it took 2 turns, back up one turn.) and make the same half adjustment to the other side to keep the wheel where it started out. You usually want from 1/8" in to 1/8" out, depending on what you're doing (autocrossing or high speed driving). You'll never be dreadfully off if you just set it at zero (same measurement front and rear).

* This should be as close to the horizontal centers of the tires as possible, but since this isn't awfully precise, close is usually good enough. You can always reset it in a matter of minutes if it feels wrong.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

alijonny wrote:Where do you guys plan to find turn plates?
I have like 4 sets of them in my 5 car garage. I left them in the loft apartment built on top. $100 shipped if you want a set.
Post Reply