Page 2 of 2

Posted: Jun 08, 2012 5:22 PM
by Duke
Got the software and files. Modified the chart to have same scales. You can now see how flat the torque curve is.

Image

Posted: Jun 08, 2012 8:06 PM
by Duke
Duke wrote:Yep....with my 22.7" diameter tire, 1:1 4th, and 3.07 rear....max is 132 MPH @ 6000 rpm.
Not sure what is off but. The dyno showed 125 MPH at 6K RPM.

So, I do indeed have a 125 MPH top end right now.

Posted: Jun 08, 2012 9:15 PM
by johnnye23
Duke wrote:
Duke wrote:Yep....with my 22.7" diameter tire, 1:1 4th, and 3.07 rear....max is 132 MPH @ 6000 rpm.
Not sure what is off but. The dyno showed 125 MPH at 6K RPM.

So, I do indeed have a 125 MPH top end right now.
I will relay a message to ban island, sure Matt would be really interested in hearing all about your car and it's accomplishments ;)

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 8:35 AM
by unt0uchable
MicahO wrote:
Duke wrote: I really need the 5 speed for ... fuel economy.
This made me ROFL. :D
+1. SBF + Fuel Economy makes me :rofl:

Those numbers are wicked though. What's the low down on the engine? Aside from being a SBF...

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 9:19 AM
by Duke
unt0uchable wrote:What's the low down on the engine?

1991 Ford 5.0 HO block. Probe street fighter 347 internals.

Scat 9000 Crank
Probe I beam rods (5.315)
Probe SRS pistons flat top (10.8:1 CR)
Clevite bearings
1/2" girdle
Trick Flow Stage 2 Hydraulic Roller Cam
(Specs Duration at .050 Int - 224 Exh 232 with Intake lift at .542 and exhaust at .563 with a 1.6 rocker, 112 overlap)
1.6 chromoly roller rockers
AFR 185 1388 Heads
Holley Ultra HP 650 Carb
Custom 9 qt oil pan

Fuel economy desired for me is 18 MPH Hwy.

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 11:56 AM
by T_C_D
Please email me the dwf file.

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 12:01 PM
by Duke
T_C_D wrote:Please email me the dwf file.
Will do that at lunch. Will send you two files, only difference is the jet size in the secondaries was increased from 73 to 75.

PM me you email addy.

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 2:00 PM
by graphite
You have a 400hp matchbox car... when exactly would you just be "cruising".

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 2:19 PM
by Duke
graphite wrote:when exactly would you just be "cruising".
On the 28th....900 miles to TedFest.

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 9:05 PM
by Duke
Ran down to the dyno again today.

Have worked with the carb and had it running at at solid 12.5:1 AFR for max power.

Turns out, the engine likes 14:1 the best as It made 5 less HP at 12.5:1. Just goes to show that the theoretical best is not always the best in reality. I have a solid 450 HP engine. I ran it to 6500 RPM to determine max HP RPM.

Image

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 9:10 PM
by mooseheadm5
Why would 12.5 be better? It isn't a turbo.

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 9:29 PM
by Duke
mooseheadm5 wrote:Why would 12.5 be better? It isn't a turbo.
Image

Most references are from 12.5 - 13 for power.

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 9:54 PM
by Jeremy
That chart is not correct. No naturally aspirated motor that I'm aware of makes peak power at an A/F ration less than 12.5:1. Most like being at 13:1 or just a touch leaner for peak power but run smoother being just a tad rich. Ideal range is generally 12.5-13.5:1, with 13:1 being the most common sweet spot.

Also, NOx emissions start going up at a certain point as you get richer. They don't continually dive towards zero the richer the A/F gets. I would consider the information in that chart to be "questionable" at best.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 8:02 AM
by Duke
Image

Image

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 8:28 AM
by Jeremy
:dunno: maybe m30s are just weird, they don't make peak power at 12.6:1 like those charts claim they should in my experience.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 8:29 AM
by davintosh
Image

:poke: ;)

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 8:42 AM
by Jeremy
:laugh: ok ok, I'll go back to monitoring the domain name servers.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 9:22 AM
by Duke
I did hit 133 MPH at 6500 too. Should have the just about perfect gear for low 11s. Its very interesting that Fox body mustang's with less HP and 700 lbs more weight are running low 11 second 1/4 miles at same or just above my 116 trap speed.

Gotta get the Tiger down to a 1.5 or better 60' time.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 10:28 AM
by davintosh
Duke wrote:I did hit 133 MPH at 6500 too. Should have the just about perfect gear for low 11s. Its very interesting that Fox body mustang's with less HP and 700 lbs more weight are running low 11 second 1/4 miles at same or just above my 116 trap speed.

Gotta get the Tiger down to a 1.5 or better 60' time.
Is that top speed with the four-speed box?

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 10:45 AM
by Duke
davintosh wrote:Is that top speed with the four-speed box?
Yes.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 5:38 PM
by L_N_Love
Why does it matter whether you get to 11, 10, or 9 secs. in a Tiger anyway? Those speeds aren't really Tiger speeds anymore due to mods. If you want to go fast in drag races, there are cars that are a lot faster than that.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 5:52 PM
by Ken H.
L_N_Love wrote:Why does it matter whether you get to 11, 10, or 9 secs. in a Tiger anyway? Those speeds aren't really Tiger speeds anymore due to mods. If you want to go fast in drag races, there are cars that are a lot faster than that.
So by this line of reasoning, if you do things to an e28 it doesn't qualify as a BMW anymore? :?

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 5:57 PM
by L_N_Love
Ken H. wrote:
L_N_Love wrote:Why does it matter whether you get to 11, 10, or 9 secs. in a Tiger anyway? Those speeds aren't really Tiger speeds anymore due to mods. If you want to go fast in drag races, there are cars that are a lot faster than that.
So by this line of reasoning, if you do things to an e28 it doesn't qualify as a BMW anymore? :?
No...probably not very sound reasoning I guess. It just starts to seem like one of those body shells that sits on top of totally different drive trains. Was also thinking that a good road course suspension through curves is more fun than straight line stuff. I like what you have done with your car.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 6:04 PM
by bbaxter
Those are some nice numbers. I'll bet it is a blast to drive. I am hoping to get similar numbers from my 3 liter when I put on my inter-cooler and bump up d-boost 3 psi. I like Adan's comment from last week that too much HP is just enough.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 6:10 PM
by Ken H.
L_N_Love wrote:No...probably not very sound reasoning I guess. It just starts to seem like one of those body shells that sits on top of totally different drive trains. Was also thinking that a good road course suspension through curves is more fun than straight line stuff. I like what you have done with your car.
Len, ISTR that Duke had mentioned that there is a bunch of "twisty bits stuff" available for the Tiger chassis. Pricey, but available. So a lot most likely depends on what he wants to do with the car and how much his better half will tolerate. IMO, our criticizing what Duke has done is a bit like my criticizing your choice of SO. In other words, it's none of my business.
BTW, I like what I have done to my whip, too. Unlike CPL Reich of the CSP. :dead: :oops:

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 6:14 PM
by Duke
L_N_Love wrote: It just starts to seem like one of those body shells that sits on top of totally different drive trains. Was also thinking that a good road course suspension through curves is more fun than straight line stuff. I like what you have done with your car.
Drive train is not different. The external dimensions of a Ford small block 221, 260, 289, 302, 347, 363 are the same. I am running the same tranny , drive shaft and rear end. Just making ~300HP more then the 260.

Yep.....when I have had my fill of drag racing, I will then set it up for road racing. Too easy, only takes money. I have done several autoX's and done well in them.

Thanks Ken!

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 6:22 PM
by L_N_Love
Ken H. wrote: IMO, our criticizing what Duke has done is a bit like my criticizing your choice of SO. In other words, it's none of our business.
Good point. Some people have SOs that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I will act accordingly going forward.

;)