Dyno numbers are IN! UPDATE

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

Got the software and files. Modified the chart to have same scales. You can now see how flat the torque curve is.

Image
Last edited by Duke on Jun 09, 2012 11:43 AM, edited 3 times in total.
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

Duke wrote:Yep....with my 22.7" diameter tire, 1:1 4th, and 3.07 rear....max is 132 MPH @ 6000 rpm.
Not sure what is off but. The dyno showed 125 MPH at 6K RPM.

So, I do indeed have a 125 MPH top end right now.
johnnye23
Posts: 5059
Joined: Sep 27, 2006
Location: Auburn Ca
Contact:

Post by johnnye23 »

Duke wrote:
Duke wrote:Yep....with my 22.7" diameter tire, 1:1 4th, and 3.07 rear....max is 132 MPH @ 6000 rpm.
Not sure what is off but. The dyno showed 125 MPH at 6K RPM.

So, I do indeed have a 125 MPH top end right now.
I will relay a message to ban island, sure Matt would be really interested in hearing all about your car and it's accomplishments ;)
unt0uchable
Posts: 2265
Joined: Jul 21, 2011
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Contact:

Post by unt0uchable »

MicahO wrote:
Duke wrote: I really need the 5 speed for ... fuel economy.
This made me ROFL. :D
+1. SBF + Fuel Economy makes me :rofl:

Those numbers are wicked though. What's the low down on the engine? Aside from being a SBF...
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

unt0uchable wrote:What's the low down on the engine?

1991 Ford 5.0 HO block. Probe street fighter 347 internals.

Scat 9000 Crank
Probe I beam rods (5.315)
Probe SRS pistons flat top (10.8:1 CR)
Clevite bearings
1/2" girdle
Trick Flow Stage 2 Hydraulic Roller Cam
(Specs Duration at .050 Int - 224 Exh 232 with Intake lift at .542 and exhaust at .563 with a 1.6 rocker, 112 overlap)
1.6 chromoly roller rockers
AFR 185 1388 Heads
Holley Ultra HP 650 Carb
Custom 9 qt oil pan

Fuel economy desired for me is 18 MPH Hwy.
T_C_D
Posts: 7733
Joined: May 27, 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Contact:

Post by T_C_D »

Please email me the dwf file.
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

T_C_D wrote:Please email me the dwf file.
Will do that at lunch. Will send you two files, only difference is the jet size in the secondaries was increased from 73 to 75.

PM me you email addy.
graphite
Posts: 1344
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Worcester, MA

Post by graphite »

You have a 400hp matchbox car... when exactly would you just be "cruising".
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

graphite wrote:when exactly would you just be "cruising".
On the 28th....900 miles to TedFest.
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

Ran down to the dyno again today.

Have worked with the carb and had it running at at solid 12.5:1 AFR for max power.

Turns out, the engine likes 14:1 the best as It made 5 less HP at 12.5:1. Just goes to show that the theoretical best is not always the best in reality. I have a solid 450 HP engine. I ran it to 6500 RPM to determine max HP RPM.

Image
Last edited by Duke on Jun 21, 2012 9:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Why would 12.5 be better? It isn't a turbo.
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

mooseheadm5 wrote:Why would 12.5 be better? It isn't a turbo.
Image

Most references are from 12.5 - 13 for power.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

That chart is not correct. No naturally aspirated motor that I'm aware of makes peak power at an A/F ration less than 12.5:1. Most like being at 13:1 or just a touch leaner for peak power but run smoother being just a tad rich. Ideal range is generally 12.5-13.5:1, with 13:1 being the most common sweet spot.

Also, NOx emissions start going up at a certain point as you get richer. They don't continually dive towards zero the richer the A/F gets. I would consider the information in that chart to be "questionable" at best.
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

Image

Image
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

:dunno: maybe m30s are just weird, they don't make peak power at 12.6:1 like those charts claim they should in my experience.
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Post by davintosh »

Image

:poke: ;)
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

:laugh: ok ok, I'll go back to monitoring the domain name servers.
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

I did hit 133 MPH at 6500 too. Should have the just about perfect gear for low 11s. Its very interesting that Fox body mustang's with less HP and 700 lbs more weight are running low 11 second 1/4 miles at same or just above my 116 trap speed.

Gotta get the Tiger down to a 1.5 or better 60' time.
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Post by davintosh »

Duke wrote:I did hit 133 MPH at 6500 too. Should have the just about perfect gear for low 11s. Its very interesting that Fox body mustang's with less HP and 700 lbs more weight are running low 11 second 1/4 miles at same or just above my 116 trap speed.

Gotta get the Tiger down to a 1.5 or better 60' time.
Is that top speed with the four-speed box?
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

davintosh wrote:Is that top speed with the four-speed box?
Yes.
L_N_Love
Posts: 4106
Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Richmond VA

Post by L_N_Love »

Why does it matter whether you get to 11, 10, or 9 secs. in a Tiger anyway? Those speeds aren't really Tiger speeds anymore due to mods. If you want to go fast in drag races, there are cars that are a lot faster than that.
Ken H.
Posts: 1819
Joined: Dec 04, 2006
Location: Suburban Gomorrah

Post by Ken H. »

L_N_Love wrote:Why does it matter whether you get to 11, 10, or 9 secs. in a Tiger anyway? Those speeds aren't really Tiger speeds anymore due to mods. If you want to go fast in drag races, there are cars that are a lot faster than that.
So by this line of reasoning, if you do things to an e28 it doesn't qualify as a BMW anymore? :?
L_N_Love
Posts: 4106
Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Richmond VA

Post by L_N_Love »

Ken H. wrote:
L_N_Love wrote:Why does it matter whether you get to 11, 10, or 9 secs. in a Tiger anyway? Those speeds aren't really Tiger speeds anymore due to mods. If you want to go fast in drag races, there are cars that are a lot faster than that.
So by this line of reasoning, if you do things to an e28 it doesn't qualify as a BMW anymore? :?
No...probably not very sound reasoning I guess. It just starts to seem like one of those body shells that sits on top of totally different drive trains. Was also thinking that a good road course suspension through curves is more fun than straight line stuff. I like what you have done with your car.
bbaxter
Posts: 493
Joined: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Gloucester, VA.

Post by bbaxter »

Those are some nice numbers. I'll bet it is a blast to drive. I am hoping to get similar numbers from my 3 liter when I put on my inter-cooler and bump up d-boost 3 psi. I like Adan's comment from last week that too much HP is just enough.
Ken H.
Posts: 1819
Joined: Dec 04, 2006
Location: Suburban Gomorrah

Post by Ken H. »

L_N_Love wrote:No...probably not very sound reasoning I guess. It just starts to seem like one of those body shells that sits on top of totally different drive trains. Was also thinking that a good road course suspension through curves is more fun than straight line stuff. I like what you have done with your car.
Len, ISTR that Duke had mentioned that there is a bunch of "twisty bits stuff" available for the Tiger chassis. Pricey, but available. So a lot most likely depends on what he wants to do with the car and how much his better half will tolerate. IMO, our criticizing what Duke has done is a bit like my criticizing your choice of SO. In other words, it's none of my business.
BTW, I like what I have done to my whip, too. Unlike CPL Reich of the CSP. :dead: :oops:
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

L_N_Love wrote: It just starts to seem like one of those body shells that sits on top of totally different drive trains. Was also thinking that a good road course suspension through curves is more fun than straight line stuff. I like what you have done with your car.
Drive train is not different. The external dimensions of a Ford small block 221, 260, 289, 302, 347, 363 are the same. I am running the same tranny , drive shaft and rear end. Just making ~300HP more then the 260.

Yep.....when I have had my fill of drag racing, I will then set it up for road racing. Too easy, only takes money. I have done several autoX's and done well in them.

Thanks Ken!
L_N_Love
Posts: 4106
Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Richmond VA

Post by L_N_Love »

Ken H. wrote: IMO, our criticizing what Duke has done is a bit like my criticizing your choice of SO. In other words, it's none of our business.
Good point. Some people have SOs that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I will act accordingly going forward.

;)
Post Reply