Page 2 of 2

Posted: May 20, 2012 1:08 AM
by Nebraska_e28
davintosh wrote:
Nebraska_e28 wrote:I got a good chuckle out of this. I saw route 1 & though cool he'll be in that neck of the woods. Then I saw route 2 & figured you said "screw that Nebraska shit"! :rofl:
Um, I'm sure it's nothing personal, LJ...

;)

(just that the eastern CO -- NE stretch of I-80 is a mind killer.)
True dat. I can imagine.

Posted: Jun 02, 2012 5:57 PM
by davintosh
Just remembered this thread; what's your estimated date of departure?

Posted: Jun 02, 2012 6:07 PM
by wkohler
davintosh wrote: (just that the eastern CO -- NE stretch of I-80 is a mind killer.)
You mean Wyoming, right?

Posted: Jun 03, 2012 1:59 AM
by LandCruzer94
Looks like I'm leaving Tuesday AM, I've got a hotel booked for my first night in Boise. I plan on hitting Yellowstone Wed and hopefully making it just further than that before the day is over. Thursday I'll be doing devils tower, mt rushmore as well as making it across South Dakota by the end of day 3 and say hi to davintosh. After that I'm actually going to detour south and drive to St louis where another member is working.

I'm excited for the driveand certainly hope my e28 holds up, I've got a huge bag of tools and a cellphone, so I should be golden!

Posted: Jun 03, 2012 10:35 AM
by GKLCPA
That sounds like one hell of the trip. I took a similar one about 3 years ago from PA to CA (not in the E28) and loved it. I was just struck about how sparsely populated areas in New Mexico and Arizona were. I was able to take in the Grand Canyon as well and that was one hell of a sight. I may take the same trip later this year.

BTW, I'm from Indianapolis originally and it appears you'll be living in Carmel. That used to be the exurbs back in the day, but is probably the fastest growing area in metro Indy now. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Posted: Jun 03, 2012 1:40 PM
by davintosh
wkohler wrote:
davintosh wrote: (just that the eastern CO -- NE stretch of I-80 is a mind killer.)
You mean Wyoming, right?
Nope. I've driven both stretches multiple times. Wyoming has its stark parts (especially along I-80), but at least breaks up the monotony with some mountain scenery. Looking at a map, I was actually thinking of the I-76 / I-80 stretch east of the Denver; not much to see other than cornfields and pastureland between the Rockies and, well, for a long, long, long way. East-CO -- NE -- IA :shock:

Posted: Jun 03, 2012 2:39 PM
by wkohler
Okay then. I-80 never enters Colorado, which is why I asked.

Posted: Jun 03, 2012 3:19 PM
by rmiddendorf
LandCruzer94 wrote: I'm excited for the driveand certainly hope my e28 holds up, I've got a huge bag of tools and a cellphone, so I should be golden!
You'll be fine with any neede repairs once you get close to davintosh. Everything else from there you should have a decent support net in place from here.

Although I'm still only on my phone it sounds like a great drive! What are you doing in Carmel once you get there? I'm only three hours east in Columbus and now you HAVE to make The Vintage and RTT next year. Cactus and Andy South are in the Dayton area.

Posted: Jun 03, 2012 9:35 PM
by LandCruzer94
Once I get to Carmel I'm hopefully going to find a job. My wife got a marketing job at Lilly corporate so for now I'm just a displaced husband. I've got two possible job offers already, one is a mortgage loan advisor (I figure the rates are so low it could be a good job to get into) and the other is software sales for car dealer parts and service departments.

I'm excited to be in the area, I'd like to meet all the other members and I'll for sure try to make the meets.

Posted: Jun 04, 2012 6:12 AM
by garageboy
Glad you're taking everyone's advice. Yellowstone is the bomb - I've been wanting to take a road trip back there in the E28 for a few summer now, but running my own business is not yet giving me the freedom to take a few weeks off in summer for a road trip. The northern route through the Badlands and Black Hills is just fantastic. I'm totally jealous of you.

Take lotsa pics with the E28 and have fun!!!

Regards,
.steve.
NYC
1988 528e, 5-speed, 93k miles, The Time Capsule
2001 530i, 5-speed, 116k miles, Almost a Time Capsule

Posted: Jun 05, 2012 10:02 AM
by LandCruzer94
Well guys, I'm about to start the journey!

Here's the route I've finally decided on:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Medfo ... 5,7,9&z=10

Dave, I'll call you when I get closer to let you know what my schedule is like. For the rest of you, wish me luck!

Posted: Jun 05, 2012 11:32 AM
by davintosh
Happy trails! and enjoy the ride. We live in a great country; lots of beautiful stuff to see along your route!

Posted: Jun 05, 2012 12:52 PM
by Durden
Looks like a great trip! Hope all goes well.

Posted: Jun 05, 2012 9:00 PM
by LandCruzer94
Well just finished the 10 hr drive to Boise, everything went great albeit boring as fuck. The e28 didn't skip a beat though! Looking forward to day 2.

Posted: Jun 05, 2012 9:28 PM
by MShimon
Excellent man! I hope you enjoy the little time in Boise, it is a beautiful city. You can also cruise at high speed in eastern ID. I've done the Boise to midwest trek many times, good luck on your haul!

Posted: Jun 06, 2012 2:20 AM
by davintosh
LandCruzer94 wrote:Well just finished the 10 hr drive to Boise, everything went great albeit boring as fuck. The e28 didn't skip a beat though! Looking forward to day 2.
Great to hear (the e28 part anyway!) How far do you plan to go tomorrow?

Posted: Jun 06, 2012 5:52 AM
by LandCruzer94
davintosh wrote:
LandCruzer94 wrote:Well just finished the 10 hr drive to Boise, everything went great albeit boring as fuck. The e28 didn't skip a beat though! Looking forward to day 2.
Great to hear (the e28 part anyway!) How far do you plan to go tomorrow?
I'm hoping to make it as far as Sheridan Wyoming, then your town end of day tomorrow. I'll let you know for sure though.

Posted: Jun 07, 2012 6:22 PM
by davintosh
Just spoke with Kyle a short time ago; he was in the middle of a visit to Mt. Rushmore when a thunderstorm hit, with golf ball-sized hail. He got his car into the lower level of the parking garage (or had it there already,) but others weren't so quick. Seems to me C.R. hit hail on his trek across the plains also. Honest; the Dakotas really don't have a thing against old BMWs. :|

At any rate, those storms were zipping off to the north, and once he gets a couple hours out from the Hills, the weather looks fairly clear the rest of the way across the state.

Update: Kyle made it to his hotel about midnight last night, and we got together for breakfast this morning. He was able to dodge the storms coming out of the Black Hills yesterday, and all was well with his car (he's got one nice 535!) He's got a long road ahead of him -- next stop, St. Louis -- but the car is treating him well.

After breakfast we drove down to Falls Park so he could see what little tourist-ish stuff Sioux Falls has to offer. He was busy snapping photos when I had to head home, but did catch this shot of the two cars in the parking lot.

Image
apologies for the crappy cellphone pic; it seems to be getting worse with time. :roll:

Happy trails, Kyle!

Posted: Jun 08, 2012 2:49 PM
by LandCruzer94
Thanks Dave! Glad we were able to connect!

I'm about an hour or two north of Missouri now, heading to St Louis to meet up with another board member.

Dammit I wish my AC was working right about now.

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 7:31 AM
by LandCruzer94
Well guys, I made it!

Amazingly enough I didn't have a SINGLE issue along the way. Once I get my desktop up and running again I'll post pics!

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 1:23 PM
by wkohler
LandCruzer94 wrote:Well guys, I made it!

Amazingly enough I didn't have a SINGLE issue along the way. Once I get my desktop up and running again I'll post pics!
I am glad you made it safely. Great work. :D

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 1:35 PM
by davintosh
LandCruzer94 wrote:Well guys, I made it!

Amazingly enough I didn't have a SINGLE issue along the way. Once I get my desktop up and running again I'll post pics!
:banana:

Cool beans! Making it that far without issues is really a great testament to these cars. It was great to meet up & put a name and a face and a story with your mye28 handle. Hope things go well for you & the wife in the new digs, and best to you in your job search!