ahab wrote:Yes, you need the same ECU. 059, not 007, that's for the 528e. I'm actually surprised it even started, I would not continue starting it with it. Why not fix your old one?
the older owner told me he had it fix, thats why i never thought it was the ECU. but ill try to find the 059 ECU, ill let you know..
Since I just went through a no spark, no start with mine and did every test I could think of (or was told to by moosehead & m535is ~ thanks guys!), it eventually turned out to be the OBC relay. The thing that pointed me in the right direction was m535is's question about the ICV and if it was humming with the key on. It should be and mine wasn't so I did the main relay test per the Bentley: Terminal 86 key off, 12V; Terminal 30 key off, 0.00V; Terminal 30 key on, should be 12V and mine wasn't. I know you mentioned you tested power for the main relay, but did you just test the red wire (terminal 86)? How about terminal 30 with the key off vs. on? If you're not getting voltage at 30 with the key on, then it could be the OBC relay. Just my 2 newbish cents.
BimmerSog wrote:Since I just went through a no spark, no start with mine and did every test I could think of (or was told to by moosehead & m535is ~ thanks guys!), it eventually turned out to be the OBC relay. The thing that pointed me in the right direction was m535is's question about the ICV and if it was humming with the key on. It should be and mine wasn't so I did the main relay test per the Bentley: Terminal 86 key off, 12V; Terminal 30 key off, 0.00V; Terminal 30 key on, should be 12V and mine wasn't. I know you mentioned you tested power for the main relay, but did you just test the red wire (terminal 86)? How about terminal 30 with the key off vs. on? If you're not getting voltage at 30 with the key on, then it could be the OBC relay. Just my 2 newbish cents.
yes i check the main relay the both ways you mention. it was ok.
the OBC was working before i try the other ECU, the OBC relay its the big black square box next to the cruise control computer, right?
when i try the spare 059 ECU, ill check if the OBC works, thats why i was asking how to jump the OBC relay, if i broke it, when i try the 007 ECU.
Yes - the OBC relay is under the driver's side kick-panel. You'll see the door chime (oval, slotted opening on the front) and the cruise control (mine was a metal box) on top and a black plastic box underneath. There's a 4-wire plug on the back of it and you jumper the green wire with the green/red wire right next to it. That's what finally gave me spark, but it sounds like that isn't the problem for you. Is the ICV humming with the key on? There's tests in the Bentley on that too. I believe the middle pin should have 12V with the key on.
Did you figure this out? I am going through a very similar situation right now; my car died on the highway and the starter spins but the car won't start.
This thread is pretty comprehensive with a lot of good information and suggestions. I did many of the tests in the OP but have a bit more troubleshooting to do...just haven't had the chance because it's been raining non-stop here ( can't push my hood-less e30 s52 swap out in the rain )
thanks to all of you....
the ECU finally arrive, thanks to Ray...
and the car start right away...
now some tuning and service and it will be ready to go...