Posted: Mar 16, 2012 10:28 AM
YOU TRADE NOW! If you don't like it, sell it, buy another E28.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=769711st 5er wrote:
Push come to shove, I'd drive it as a 5 cylinder until...
Best of Luck to you on your decision.
From OP's first thread.Mike W. wrote:http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=769711st 5er wrote:
Push come to shove, I'd drive it as a 5 cylinder until...
Best of Luck to you on your decision.
Not gonna, gaydar would be deserved with an e36, but I don't see why it wouldn't be repairable. I had a 2000 528i and did all of the maintenance on it with no trouble, so I would assume the 4cyl would be easier.slimdevil27 wrote:The E318, 36, whateverthefuck car won't be repairable by you. Most general repair shops don't even mess with european repairs, they don't have the euro software for something as simple as a maintenance reminder.
Damn near anything that has gone wrong or could go wrong with the E28 you'll find here and in the Bentley. In two or three posts your car was ACCURATELY diagnosed by "our" vast panel of experts.
FIX.
YOUR.
CAR.
Or make the trade and you can get shagrath to make you a sticker like this:
............you'll need it to complete you're new "look".
BUT if you turn around and sell it to by a better E28, all is forgiven
I couldn't get it to stay running on 5 cylinders, it would just run for about 5 seconds and die.Push come to shove, I'd drive it as a 5 cylinder until...
About 1/4 tank.1st 5er wrote:Got fuel?

Go fuck yourself. That post sat for awhile, so I didn't see the rust pics...Tammer in Philly wrote:Have you ever turned a wrench on an E36? They are just as simple as E28s, and just as reliable. I've owned 3 without major issue. Quit spouting crap you have no experience to back up.slimdevil27 wrote:The E318, 36, whateverthefuck car won't be repairable by you. Most general repair shops don't even mess with European repairs, they don't have the euro software for something as simple as a maintenance reminder.
Damn near anything that has gone wrong or could go wrong with the E28 you'll find here and in the Bentley. In two or three posts your car was ACCURATELY diagnosed by "our" vast panel of experts.
FIX.
YOUR.
CAR.
Or make the trade and you can get shagrath to make you a sticker like this:
............you'll need it to complete you're new "look".
BUT if you turn around and sell it to by a better E28, all is forgiven
OP, just get the 318. They have virtually all had the profile gasket replaced by now, but it's smart to ask.
-tammer
Pass the popcorn.slimdevil27 wrote:Go fuck yourself. That post sat for awhile, so I didn't see the rust pics...Tammer in Philly wrote:Have you ever turned a wrench on an E36? They are just as simple as E28s, and just as reliable. I've owned 3 without major issue. Quit spouting crap you have no experience to back up.slimdevil27 wrote:The E318, 36, whateverthefuck car won't be repairable by you. Most general repair shops don't even mess with European repairs, they don't have the euro software for something as simple as a maintenance reminder.
Damn near anything that has gone wrong or could go wrong with the E28 you'll find here and in the Bentley. In two or three posts your car was ACCURATELY diagnosed by "our" vast panel of experts.
FIX.
YOUR.
CAR.
Or make the trade and you can get shagrath to make you a sticker like this:
............you'll need it to complete you're new "look".
BUT if you turn around and sell it to by a better E28, all is forgiven
OP, just get the 318. They have virtually all had the profile gasket replaced by now, but it's smart to ask.
-tammer
I'd still fix it....maybe that's because I can....because maybe I'm "okay" at fixing cars....or maybe it's because....
you know...what I do for a living...."maybe" as in ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN......as in CERTIFIED IN ALL 8 REGULAR AREAS WITH MY FUCKING L1.
snakebrain wrote:Pass the popcorn.
Fucking troll. Sorry I didn't have time to rapidly respond to your spouting of ignorance. I was busy defending my thesis and getting my PhD.slimdevil27 wrote::dunno:
:popcorn:
I did think about swapping it into my e24. Too bad I don't have more timeslimdevil27 wrote:[Or he's got a good drivetrain for a future swap to a better platform.
I'm not a grease monkey, and I'm not a mechanic. I'm an Automotive Technician. Just like your PhD, I went to school for this, I go to classes to keep current on technology and diagnostics, I read technical data for fun, and every day I have to hit a moving target, on the fly, in any automotive system, regardless of make and model. It is a big deal, it's the difference between putting on a band aid and a brain surgeon. I know a lot of "mechanics" and guess who gets called when the shit gets thick? Guess who fixes what no one else can fix? There's a guy down at your local shop ready and willing to jump around like a monkey with a hard on, and just like a monkey he'll throw shit at your car all day long and call it fixed. Guys like me on the other hand, we wrote your technical manuals, and I'm glad you can follow, it gives me hope that there are people out there with more than a lick of shit between their ears. I don't mean that as disparaging, quite the contrary. As a kid I learned from my grandpa, my friends grandpa, my dad...they were men. They could fix anything, no fear, just care, patience and common sense along with the persistence to do the job right. I look around at the halfassed shit that this entitlement era brings and to know that common sense isn't dead is a great thing.So you can work on cars. Big fucking deal, a lot of us can.

Um yeah, 15+ years of hands on experience and specialized training vs. 3 years and a thesis? WOW, how about that PhD.M. Holtmeier wrote:I have always viewed an ASE MASTER CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN achievement to be leaps and bounds over that of a PhD. I mean, it took me a whole night to get my ASE certs.
Oops, I didn't mean to start a war.
M. Holtmeier wrote:I have always viewed an ASE MASTER CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN achievement to be leaps and bounds over that of a PhD. I mean, it took me a whole night to get my ASE certs.
Enjoy your delusions.slimdevil27 wrote: Um yeah, 15+ years of hands on experience and specialized training vs. 3 years and a thesis? WOW, how about that PhD.
Figure of speech, dimwit. Seems as though you're just a little fish in a big pond 'round here, and one that's incapable of civil interaction at that as well. At the very least, that is how convey yourself here.slimdevil27 wrote:One whole night to get your ASE certs huh?