Would anyone be willing to humor a guy on M62 info?
-
freetoride
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: Oct 31, 2011
- Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
You're not kidding, plus you didn't mention the "special tools". The big U shaped guide alone is somewhere around $120 IIRC. My thought is that with a refresh maybe I'll have a good running vehicle for another 100K...or until the tranny blows up.scarey013 wrote:Having an M60 laying in my garage, it was a shock to see how much all of those parts (upper and lower gasket set, timing guides and blocks) added up to. Close to $1K right there.
Good luck with the swap. we're here if you need us.
Scott C.
It probably didn't overheat.
One of two things happened. Either it granded the timing chain guide or it lost its oil pump (the bolts do come off apparently, I checked mine and it was fine 1 year ago).
One thing to note, you are running the wrong oil. It needs a much thicker oil then a 20. 30 at the minimum but I would suggest a 40. German castroil (0W30) is high on the 30 scale and that's what I run. Mobil 1 5-40 is good too.
Its of my opinion that lots of problems people experience with this engine are because they run the wrong oil. A few people I have talked to agree as well. When you run a proper BMW LL-01 oil Vanos seals dont seem to be a problem, the timing chain tensioners don't seem to go bad, no sludge, etc.
One of two things happened. Either it granded the timing chain guide or it lost its oil pump (the bolts do come off apparently, I checked mine and it was fine 1 year ago).
One thing to note, you are running the wrong oil. It needs a much thicker oil then a 20. 30 at the minimum but I would suggest a 40. German castroil (0W30) is high on the 30 scale and that's what I run. Mobil 1 5-40 is good too.
Its of my opinion that lots of problems people experience with this engine are because they run the wrong oil. A few people I have talked to agree as well. When you run a proper BMW LL-01 oil Vanos seals dont seem to be a problem, the timing chain tensioners don't seem to go bad, no sludge, etc.

