Autohaus AZ - What's your experience?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

davintosh wrote:I've spent quite a lot of money with them since first buying my eta three years ago, and have been extremely pleased with their service & prices, with one (sort of) exception. I bought some suspension bits for the e32 a while back, and the lower spring pad for the rear end was the wrong part. Shame on me too for that one though; I used their listing to choose the part and that was one time when I didn't double-check the part number against RealOEM.com. The part they list for the 735i is listed on RealOEM for the ///M Sport version, which I didn't even know existed. They don't carry the right part for my car, so I'm waiting to find out how the issue will get squared away. :roll:

Other than that (which again, was partly my fault) they've been great. Bummer about your heater core though, and agreed, that's a pretty boneheaded move to pack & ship an obviously damaged package without checking it over.
Dave,
All of the rubber bits, including the lower spring pads should be available through BMW. I use getbmwparts.com with part numbers off of realoem.com. I have a late run E32 but I can't imagine your is not available, and the prices were fine. Not cheap but fine.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

rlomba8204 wrote:Not sure how research on my part could have prevented them from shipping me a heater core with a big gash in it, but maybe I am missing something . . . .
I can't believe I have to tell YOU about the process, as it's common sense, really.

You need to ask for photos of the actual part you're buying from several different angles. If they have more than one, have them photograph the three best and let you choose which you prefer. Sometimes, the best part can be in a marginal box, but a nice box has a damaged part. Try to get the best part into the best box. Get the extension for the shipping representative. Be sure to talk with her (they have won awards for being a female-owned company) and convey your concerns and desires. Iron out a plan for how the box should be packed. What size box to use? Too big is as bad as too small. Discuss placement of your item(s) within the box. Centered on bottom, centered, floated above material, etc. Try to stay away from placing the item in a corner. What kind of filler should be used? Paper? Air fill? Where is the packing slip going to go? I like to have it slipped down the side of the box. On top, there's a chance I could put a slit in it with the knife, opening the package. I also like to stress that the slip be put in before packing material to ensure it is not wrinkled or bent in transit. This is important, but not really the key. The key to ensuring a successful transaction is to put your plan into writing, constituting a contract of sorts. Then, mail some contracts to them to sign and return. Only upon receipt of the signed contracts allow your order to be processed.

Unless you perform your due diligence, you're pretty much guaranteed an issue, and it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that all of your bases are covered before you click the "checkout" button.
cddallara
Posts: 3513
Joined: Apr 03, 2010
Location: Lagunitas, Ca

Post by cddallara »

wkohler wrote:
rlomba8204 wrote:Not sure how research on my part could have prevented them from shipping me a heater core with a big gash in it, but maybe I am missing something . . . .
I can't believe I have to tell YOU about the process, as it's common sense, really.

You need to ask for photos of the actual part you're buying from several different angles. If they have more than one, have them photograph the three best and let you choose which you prefer. Sometimes, the best part can be in a marginal box, but a nice box has a damaged part. Try to get the best part into the best box. Get the extension for the shipping representative. Be sure to talk with her (they have won awards for being a female-owned company) and convey your concerns and desires. Iron out a plan for how the box should be packed. What size box to use? Too big is as bad as too small. Discuss placement of your item(s) within the box. Centered on bottom, centered, floated above material, etc. Try to stay away from placing the item in a corner. What kind of filler should be used? Paper? Air fill? Where is the packing slip going to go? I like to have it slipped down the side of the box. On top, there's a chance I could put a slit in it with the knife, opening the package. I also like to stress that the slip be put in before packing material to ensure it is not wrinkled or bent in transit. This is important, but not really the key. The key to ensuring a successful transaction is to put your plan into writing, constituting a contract of sorts. Then, mail some contracts to them to sign and return. Only upon receipt of the signed contracts allow your order to be processed.

Unless you perform your due diligence, you're pretty much guaranteed an issue, and it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that all of your bases are covered before you click the "checkout" button.
It does feel like this is the case at times.

(In my case-not specifically with AHAZ, as I have never ordered from them)
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

wkohler wrote:
rlomba8204 wrote:Not sure how research on my part could have prevented them from shipping me a heater core with a big gash in it, but maybe I am missing something . . . .
I can't believe I have to tell YOU about the process, as it's common sense, really.

You need to ask for photos of the actual part you're buying from several different angles. If they have more than one, have them photograph the three best and let you choose which you prefer. Sometimes, the best part can be in a marginal box, but a nice box has a damaged part. Try to get the best part into the best box. Get the extension for the shipping representative. Be sure to talk with her (they have won awards for being a female-owned company) and convey your concerns and desires. Iron out a plan for how the box should be packed. What size box to use? Too big is as bad as too small. Discuss placement of your item(s) within the box. Centered on bottom, centered, floated above material, etc. Try to stay away from placing the item in a corner. What kind of filler should be used? Paper? Air fill? Where is the packing slip going to go? I like to have it slipped down the side of the box. On top, there's a chance I could put a slit in it with the knife, opening the package. I also like to stress that the slip be put in before packing material to ensure it is not wrinkled or bent in transit. This is important, but not really the key. The key to ensuring a successful transaction is to put your plan into writing, constituting a contract of sorts. Then, mail some contracts to them to sign and return. Only upon receipt of the signed contracts allow your order to be processed.

Unless you perform your due diligence, you're pretty much guaranteed an issue, and it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that all of your bases are covered before you click the "checkout" button.
:rofl:

Thank you.
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Post by davintosh »

rlomba8204 wrote:Dave,
All of the rubber bits, including the lower spring pads should be available through BMW. I use getbmwparts.com with part numbers off of realoem.com. I have a late run E32 but I can't imagine your is not available, and the prices were fine. Not cheap but fine.
The part is available, just not through AutohausAZ. [email protected] is bailing me out on that one. Thanks for the tip on getbmwparts.com though; will have to check them out.

I could probably have gone to the local dealership for parts; their prices are usually halfway decent, but they won't let you leave without making you feel like a second-class citizen for not using their world-class service facility. It's worse than Best Buy. :roll:
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

davintosh wrote:[email protected] is bailing me out on that one. Thanks for the tip on getbmwparts.com though; will have to check them out.
Steve can probably beat their pricing.
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

1st 5er wrote:
davintosh wrote:[email protected] is bailing me out on that one. Thanks for the tip on getbmwparts.com though; will have to check them out.
Steve can probably beat their pricing.
Sherman,
I am sure he can beat the price, but that's not the point. In the 20+ years I've been playing with BMWs, not once -- not once -- have I had a genuine BMW part (not "OE" or "OEM") go back or have to come out of the car. On the other hand, with OE and OEM parts, I've had issues from time to time.

In fact, by way of additional anecdotal evidence, last year the shop that installed the steering box also did the high pressure lines as well. I wanted to get the car back for a trip so rather than wait for the lines to come in from BMW, the mechanic used OEM hoses from Worldpac. The car is back at the shop this week, about one year later, because one of them started leaking, so he is eating the job and replacing them with hoses from BMW. The problem is in my experience is that if the stuff isn't from BMW, you don't know what you are getting.
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

rlomba8204 wrote:
1st 5er wrote:
davintosh wrote:[email protected] is bailing me out on that one. Thanks for the tip on getbmwparts.com though; will have to check them out.
Steve can probably beat their pricing.
Sherman,
I am sure he can beat the price, but that's not the point. In the 20+ years I've been playing with BMWs, not once -- not once -- have I had a genuine BMW part (not "OE" or "OEM") go back or have to come out of the car. On the other hand, with OE and OEM parts, I've had issues from time to time.

In fact, by way of additional anecdotal evidence, last year the shop that installed the steering box also did the high pressure lines as well. I wanted to get the car back for a trip so rather than wait for the lines to come in from BMW, the mechanic used OEM hoses from Worldpac. The car is back at the shop this week, about one year later, because one of them started leaking, so he is eating the job and replacing them with hoses from BMW. The problem is in my experience is that if the stuff isn't from BMW, you don't know what you are getting.
I understand it's not all about price.
Below is my anecdotal evidence of agreement.

In '10 prior to driving our E12 to The Vintage in the Vineyard and attending the inaugural RTT event
I replaced all the fuel system hoses using products supplied through a local retail chain.
Mid trip, the short piece between the high pressure pump and the filter ruptured.
Next came another of my infamous side of the road fixes.
The problem was all I had with me was left over pieces of the same stuff.
That said, you can imagine what happened.

I determined not to repeat that sequence in '11, so just prior to heading east for Vintage and RTT
when doing a complete fuel system hose refresh on the E28 ///M car I determined to use nothing less then the BMW products.
After checking the dealer pricing for BMW fuel injection hose, and getting my chin back up where it's supposed to be
I sent an email off to Steve detailing what I wanted, both in size, quantity and branding.
He said he could get it and would get back with the pricing.
In the end I got BMW branded hose in all three required sizes for both the flow and the vapor system
all at about 1/3 of the dealer rates quoted to a friend who has a shop and gets a decent discount.

Again, I don't push Steve because of price alone.
He supports the vintage community in a big way.
His family heritage is steeped in vintage BMW.
Even Paul's latest offering includes Lemforder UCAs sourced through Steve.
Steve ain't da Parts Pimp, but he is trying. :D
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

I get it Sherman -- understood.

My problem is that as I have said I've had issues with other parts, even good name parts, from other suppliers. Frankly, I suspect a part of the problem with car parts because it is happening with a lot of other products, is that there is so much counterfeit and second tier products coming out of China that it has gotten tough to avoid the stuff from time to time.

Anecdote: colleague of mine's father in law owns a toy manufacturer in Hong Kong. As with any manufacturing business, they have seconds / rejects. We were talking about Chinese counterfeiting -- I think there was story in the press about Apple having issues with iPads or iPhones or something that was the impetus for the topic -- and he was saying that for his father in law, disposing of seconds had always become difficult but had been particularly difficult since HK went back to China in the late 90s because of theft and corruption. Moreover, he explained that counterfeiting has always been a huge problem, and was only getting worse. It's just one story, but it is at least consistent with news accounts and what I've experienced. More specifically, 10 or 15 years ago I could buy the OEM part outside of BMW and pay less and not have an issue, or at least have very few issues to the point where the savings were worth the modest risk. The last 5 years or so, give or take, I've had a lot of issues. I suspect, frankly, that a good part of the time the vendors aren't even at fault but at the same time, as you know, if I have to spend a second Saturday re-doing what I did the previous Saturday, it creates all sorts of problems. In this case, it's not my time but the car has been hung up for a few days now and it's not necessary.

In any event, you get the idea and I understand why you support Blunt.

Just my .02. Take care.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

I agree with much that has been said here, and actually am experiencing a lesson I repeat with my car. I got an OEM crank sensor for the 88 eta, and because it is not BMW brand, it fits just loose enough to trip my CEL but not affect the car's FI operations.

While the light doesn't bother me, I definately am thinking of replacing it again with BMW just so I can have a properly working CEL.
jhall
Posts: 909
Joined: Feb 16, 2007
Location: Albany IL, 61230

Post by jhall »

Reading these stories I must be lucky. I use a mixture of local parts chain (if in a pinch), Pelican, Autohaus, Bav Auto, and recently Blunttech. Ther only one I have had any issue with over the years is Bav Auto and that's due to numerous back orders. Autohaus in particular I've purchased both Audi and BMW parts and never had a part go bad or issues with damage in shipping. Oh, I've used Rock Auto too, but there its a complete crap shoot.
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

I hate typing long responses, when are we going to up grade to the mind reading technology? :laugh:

Ray,
That sucks about getting a damaged part due to damaged packaging repacked in a good container.
If I'm the boss of that business, that guy (oops, girl) loses their job, that's just too obvious of a mistake.
Not really, that's what I'd want to happen, but proving, after the fact, that that's the way it actually went down would be hard to do.
So, a good a$$ chewing would have to suffice.
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

Sherman,
Your unwillingness to type longer messages deprives us of your wisdom. ;-)
BluntTech
Posts: 97
Joined: Jul 17, 2009
Contact:

Post by BluntTech »

rlomba8204 wrote:
1st 5er wrote:
davintosh wrote:[email protected] is bailing me out on that one. Thanks for the tip on getbmwparts.com though; will have to check them out.
Steve can probably beat their pricing.
Sherman,
I am sure he can beat the price, but that's not the point. In the 20+ years I've been playing with BMWs, not once -- not once -- have I had a genuine BMW part (not "OE" or "OEM") go back or have to come out of the car. On the other hand, with OE and OEM parts, I've had issues from time to time.

In fact, by way of additional anecdotal evidence, last year the shop that installed the steering box also did the high pressure lines as well. I wanted to get the car back for a trip so rather than wait for the lines to come in from BMW, the mechanic used OEM hoses from Worldpac. The car is back at the shop this week, about one year later, because one of them started leaking, so he is eating the job and replacing them with hoses from BMW. The problem is in my experience is that if the stuff isn't from BMW, you don't know what you are getting.
I just thought Id jump in here to clarify something. You may or may not know we have multiple suppliers. We have the entire BMW catalog and are distributors for BMW NA and Mobil Classic. We also have a full line of OEM stuff from WorldPac, SSF, IMC and several others. In other words we can supply you with anything you need. We do the same thing the dealer does but with better pricing but without hot chicks at the front counter, But we are working on the latter. Drop us an email and give us a try sometime I think youll find youll get better pricing and more personal service than youll find elsewhere
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

BluntTech wrote: but without hot chicks at the front counter, But we are working on the latter.
So it's not just my local dealer then??? :banana:
BluntTech
Posts: 97
Joined: Jul 17, 2009
Contact:

Post by BluntTech »

shagrath wrote:
BluntTech wrote: but without hot chicks at the front counter, But we are working on the latter.
So it's not just my local dealer then??? :banana:
Brandons pretty cute if youre into that sort of thing. He will be at Vintage
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

BluntTech wrote:
shagrath wrote:
BluntTech wrote: but without hot chicks at the front counter, But we are working on the latter.
So it's not just my local dealer then??? :banana:
Brandons pretty cute if youre into that sort of thing. He will be at Vintage
I'll pass the word onto interested parties. ;)

The chick at my dealer is Debbie. :D
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

BluntTech wrote:
shagrath wrote:
BluntTech wrote: but without hot chicks at the front counter, But we are working on the latter.
So it's not just my local dealer then??? :banana:
Brandons pretty cute if youre into that sort of thing. He will be at Vintage
He has long hair, so if you squint and look from the right angle...
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

shagrath wrote:The chick at my dealer is Debbie. :D
:pics!:
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

C.R. Krieger wrote:
shagrath wrote:The chick at my dealer is Debbie. :D
:pics!:
An appropriate response.
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

Subscribing with one hand^
Brandon@BluntTech
Posts: 125
Joined: Jan 02, 2012
Location: www.BluntTech.com

Post by Brandon@BluntTech »

oldskool wrote:Subscribing with one hand^
:laugh:
kvin111
Posts: 111
Joined: Mar 12, 2011
Location: San Diego CA

Post by kvin111 »

I haven't had any issues with autohaus. But I have noticed the shipping gets delayed longer and longer the more I order.
Post Reply