Front suspension dilemma...

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
nik77356
Posts: 563
Joined: Oct 21, 2011
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Post by nik77356 »

I did all the control arms myself on my E32 last year when I still had it and it was a huge PITA, and I was so happy I thought I would never have to do it again. Was dreading having to do it on my new E28, but it looks so much simpler on the E28 compared to the E32. My main enemy on the E32 was the ball joints being frozen to the steering knuckles. Took a BFH and a pickle fork to get them off.
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

Why would you only do the lowers one day and the uppers and tie rods another day?

To replace the lowers you must separate the strut housing from the steering knuckle.
If you are going that far, its easy to remove the tie rod, UCA & LCA from the body at the same time, and remove them all as a piece, attached at the knuckle.
Remove from knuckle on the ground, with the puller (did it myself this weekend) but *BE ADVISED* the taperd shaft will release with a *VERY SUDDEN VIOLENCE*, and you would be happy to have your foot over it. I removed the LCA, UCA and tie rods from a car in my driveway on Sunday, and it went swimmingly with the cheapo $15 HF ball joint popper.

But do this all at once, no need to get in there twice.
mithrites
Posts: 499
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ashburn,VA

Post by mithrites »

Ok,left side finish,I had NO idea they were in that bad of a shape...I ran out of time to do the right side,I'll do those tomorrow

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Post Reply