Page 2 of 2

Posted: Feb 09, 2012 9:12 PM
by TSMacNeil
WilNJ wrote:
TSMacNeil wrote:http://www.le-guide.com/boatrentalsfrance/canaldumidi/

I highly recommend it.
Already on the bucket list.
Definitely do it. ;)

Posted: Feb 09, 2012 9:31 PM
by oldskool
skip535i wrote:Red. Malbec and Pinot Noir are my favorites.
I think I've got a little something for you, my friend.
Labels being installed on bottles tonight.

Posted: Feb 09, 2012 9:51 PM
by Duke
Lets do a wine exchange. Like the gift box but with RED wine.

What da ya say?

Posted: Feb 09, 2012 10:31 PM
by the Tanned One
booker wrote:I can't drink wine.

But I'm about as low-brow of a drinker as they come. So what do I know...
Patrick, try either MadDog 20/20 or some Cold Duck ;) LOL !!! :cool:

Posted: Feb 09, 2012 10:35 PM
by oldskool
Duke wrote:Lets do a wine exchange. Like the gift box but with RED wine.

What da ya say?
I'm in. Just have to find the right label for you Duke!

Posted: Feb 09, 2012 10:53 PM
by BDK
you forgot the other part of the equation when asking this question....

with what Food....

A white is a must depending on the food and or course....

A red is must just the same....

a pink should never be considered... :laugh:

Food certainly matters when choosing your wine, it can make or break the dining experience....

Posted: Feb 09, 2012 11:11 PM
by booker
the Tanned One wrote:
booker wrote:I can't drink wine.

But I'm about as low-brow of a drinker as they come. So what do I know...
Patrick, try either MadDog 20/20 or some Cold Duck ;) LOL !!! :cool:
I'll stick with boones farm, thanks. Their Strawberry Hill is a pink delight which opens with a mild strawberry, earthy, and smoky bouquet. It has a nose like a tree. On the palate, this wine is full bodied, balanced, and cloyingly sweet. The flavor profile is a tasty strawberry and something blend with notes of black pepper and hint of vanilla air freshener. The finish is regretful and its building gentle dusty tannins are a little sticky.

Posted: Feb 09, 2012 11:18 PM
by Mike W.
BDK wrote:you forgot the other part of the equation when asking this question....

with what Food....

A white is a must depending on the food and or course....

A red is must just the same....

a pink should never be considered... :laugh:

Food certainly matters when choosing your wine, it can make or break the dining experience....
Brad, you certainly know food better than I, and I do agree with your statement on pinks, but since I really don't much like whites, especially Chardonnays, I disagree with your conclusion. If I don't like a wine, even when it's properly paired, I'm still not going to like it. I used to try, but finally got to the point where I said, I'm going to drink what I like and not what I don't. And it works for me. :up:

Posted: Feb 09, 2012 11:52 PM
by ilikemybike
WilNJ wrote:
Mark 88/M5 Houston wrote:I'd like to add Merlot to the above.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... PxRQ#t=32s

Someone had to do it.
I was just thinking about this! Great movie! I love the scene where Giamatti and Church are at a tasting and Giamatti is giving a very lengthy explanation on the certain qualities of this wine and that wine......then he asks Church "Are you chewing gum?"

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 1:14 AM
by alijonny
SHRIMP AND WHITE WINE! (youtube it)

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 1:43 AM
by Das_Prachtstrasse
Any local CabSav or occasionally Merlot go down a treat. Speaking of which..

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 3:45 AM
by fastcrs
No tequila option?!?...red, as long as it isn't dry...

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 3:47 AM
by Nicke28
Dry reds. Some of my favorites are Montepulciano d'Abruzzo wines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montepulciano_d%27Abruzzo

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 9:42 AM
by BDK
Brad, you certainly know food better than I, and I do agree with your statement on pinks, but since I really don't much like whites, especially Chardonnays, I disagree with your conclusion. If I don't like a wine, even when it's properly paired, I'm still not going to like it. I used to try, but finally got to the point where I said, I'm going to drink what I like and not what I don't. And it works for me.
Mike, you're definitely not alone with your sentiments towards wine.
When we had the restaurants, we would do wine dinners about every 6 mos, on one of those dinners we did a "what if" type scenario. I would make a dish, and we would serve it with a wine I suggested, then we would offer an additional "what if" tasting wine as well. Yes, you can pair a "proper" wine with a dinner and there is always a substitute that will work but it may not be the ultimate pairing. People were amazed at how much a wine can change someone's perspective on a certain dish, it can take an "OK" dish and make it over the top and vice versa.
If you don't care for the buttery chards, find one aged in stainless, or try a Sav Blanc or Pinot Gris...
Some people will serve a big bold wine, like a Red Zin or Cab, with a delicate foods such as Veal Scallopini or Fish/Seafood, and the wine just destroys the dish....covers it up instead of complimenting it....

But the bottom line is drink what you like!

If we were closer, I would put a little effort in showing you what I mean and finding you a white that might be added to your Cellar when serving certain dishes.

Salud and Bon Appetit!

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 10:42 AM
by skip535i
oldskool wrote:
skip535i wrote:Red. Malbec and Pinot Noir are my favorites.
I think I've got a little something for you, my friend.
Labels being installed on bottles tonight.
I'll take you up on this, my friend. I love trying new wine.

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 11:09 AM
by Mike W.
BDK wrote:
If we were closer, I would put a little effort in showing you what I mean and finding you a white that might be added to your Cellar when serving certain dishes.

Salud and Bon Appetit!
Maybe. I try to stay open to things, but I'm sure you know Einstein's definition of insanity too. :laugh:

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 12:02 PM
by TurboChris
Love me some reds, but never did aquire a taste for whites...also, I don't like my wine COLD like so many (especially those who drink white) I keep my little wine fridge at 51 degrees......don't drink for probably 30 mins after they come out....the thought of drinking "chilled" wine ..... bleh!

Posted: Feb 10, 2012 12:05 PM
by Mike W.
Yep, I like even my red cool, not cold, but not 80F in a warm restaurant either like so many do. I'm no purist, if there's water with ice in it I'll throw a cube in. Again, to get it to the traditional cellar temp or close, not refrigerated.