I love when science confirms common sense.

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
nnarth212
Posts: 1953
Joined: Aug 10, 2009
Location: San Francisco

Post by nnarth212 »

turbodan wrote:Conservatives shouldn't even be allowed to vote. They're clearly not capable of making decisions on complex issues.

This. :heehee:

Seriously-- it's a pretty clear cut thing most of us have experienced: large homogeneous groups tend to think similarly. A decent education is largely about debunking popular misconceptions.
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Post by davintosh »

Karl Grau wrote:
turbodan wrote:Conservatives shouldn't even be allowed to vote. They're clearly not capable of making decisions on complex issues.
I have nothing to add. :)
Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. :roll: :facepalm:

;)
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

davintosh wrote:
Karl Grau wrote:
turbodan wrote:Conservatives shouldn't even be allowed to vote. They're clearly not capable of making decisions on complex issues.
I have nothing to add. :)
Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. :roll: :facepalm:

;)
Wait 'til I get going!

... Where was I?

-tammer
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Post by davintosh »

Tammer in Philly wrote:
davintosh wrote:
Karl Grau wrote:
turbodan wrote:Conservatives shouldn't even be allowed to vote. They're clearly not capable of making decisions on complex issues.
I have nothing to add. :)
Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. :roll: :facepalm:

;)
Wait 'til I get going!

... Where was I?

-tammer
Australia.
Karl Grau
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: 1930's Germany

Post by Karl Grau »

davintosh wrote:Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. :roll: :facepalm:

;)
Dave, Dave, Dave, if you're expecting anything worthwhile from me in a political thread, clearly your expectations are waaaay too high. :)

On a side note, Todd and Ray's exchange reminded me of this picture I was sent. I forgot to label it but It's either Ray & Ray Jr. or Todd & Todd Jr.
[oh gawd I crack myself up]

Image
Mab1957
Posts: 2262
Joined: May 14, 2010
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Post by Mab1957 »

Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.
Aren't we all for integrating models? Why be prejudiced?
ImageImageImageImage
nnarth212
Posts: 1953
Joined: Aug 10, 2009
Location: San Francisco

Post by nnarth212 »

^^ Well played, sir.
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

Back to the underlying pissing contest please. . .
turbodan
Posts: 9701
Joined: Jan 09, 2007

Post by turbodan »

It seems like these things come up once a year or so. Same shit every time. Its amazing to me that some people still dont see the bias in the media. Then there are those that froth at the mouth over Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck. I suppose they know they can't shut them down outright, so they try to marginalize them by labeling them extreme or bigoted. Can't have any points of view out there that aren't towing the line. Opposing views must not be tolerated. Must crush dissent...
Tammer in Philly wrote:It isn't properly controlled, but it isn't exactly news that some politicians use fear of "them" (blacks, gays, poor, Muslims) to get voters worked up. That rhetoric only works on some voters. You can draw your own conclusions about those voters.

-tammer
Do you not see the party you support using these tactics against republicans when it comes to Medicare, Social Security, taxes, healthcare and pretty much everything else? Is it okay when they do it because you feel its for the right reasons?
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Post by davintosh »

Karl Grau wrote:
davintosh wrote:Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. :roll: :facepalm:

;)
Dave, Dave, Dave, if you're expecting anything worthwhile from me in a political thread, clearly your expectations are waaaay too high. :)

On a side note, Todd and Ray's exchange reminded me of this picture I was sent. I forgot to label it but It's either Ray & Ray Jr. or Todd & Todd Jr.
[oh gawd I crack myself up]
Chuck, Chuck, Chuck... I sure hope you didn't take that as a seriously sarcastic retort, especially with the obvious Princess Bride reference (I thought sure you would catch that!) ;)
Karl Grau
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: 1930's Germany

Post by Karl Grau »

davintosh wrote:Chuck, Chuck, Chuck... I sure hope you didn't take that as a seriously sarcastic retort
Not at all, I got it. I'll put more smileys next time. :)


Image
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

turbodan wrote:
Do you not see the party you support using these tactics against republicans when it comes to Medicare, Social Security, taxes, healthcare and pretty much everything else? Is it okay when they do it because you feel its for the right reasons?
I'd like an example in which a democrat used fear of an ethnic or religious group is used to advance a cause like healthcare reform, please.

For an example of what I'm after, here's Santorum talking to a room of white Iowans and calling out black welfare recipients: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMRIPfP4Tok Gingrich, for his part, called Obama "the Food Stamp President," then in the same breath offered to help the NAACP figure out the problems of black people. The right-wing attacks on Muslims need no specific examples; they are self-evident. And of course, Rick Perry had this wonderful gem about gays ruining everyone's lives and stealing Christmas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA If you want to know how receptive some people are to this sort of tripe, just look at the results from Iowa and SC. I guess the intended audience for such remarks is smart enough to work a voting machine, unfortunately.

-tammer
turbodan
Posts: 9701
Joined: Jan 09, 2007

Post by turbodan »

Tammer in Philly wrote:
turbodan wrote:
Do you not see the party you support using these tactics against republicans when it comes to Medicare, Social Security, taxes, healthcare and pretty much everything else? Is it okay when they do it because you feel its for the right reasons?
I'd like an example in which a democrat used fear of an ethnic or religious group is used to advance a cause like healthcare reform, please.

For an example of what I'm after, here's Santorum talking to a room of white Iowans and calling out black welfare recipients: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMRIPfP4Tok Gingrich, for his part, called Obama "the Food Stamp President," then in the same breath offered to help the NAACP figure out the problems of black people. The right-wing attacks on Muslims need no specific examples; they are self-evident. And of course, Rick Perry had this wonderful gem about gays ruining everyone's lives and stealing Christmas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA If you want to know how receptive some people are to this sort of tripe, just look at the results from Iowa and SC. I guess the intended audience for such remarks is smart enough to work a voting machine, unfortunately.

-tammer
So you're only concerned with racial or ethnic bigotry? Of course. Since these are the only two real and truly serious issues facing our country today. Once again you've resorted to the classic "but look what those horrible republicans are doing!" maneuver. Better keep pulling the lever for the D's huh? Just to be safe? Whos acting on fear here?

Your BDS appears to be terminal.
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

turbodan wrote:
Tammer in Philly wrote:
turbodan wrote:
Do you not see the party you support using these tactics against republicans when it comes to Medicare, Social Security, taxes, healthcare and pretty much everything else? Is it okay when they do it because you feel its for the right reasons?
I'd like an example in which a democrat used fear of an ethnic or religious group is used to advance a cause like healthcare reform, please.

For an example of what I'm after, here's Santorum talking to a room of white Iowans and calling out black welfare recipients: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMRIPfP4Tok Gingrich, for his part, called Obama "the Food Stamp President," then in the same breath offered to help the NAACP figure out the problems of black people. The right-wing attacks on Muslims need no specific examples; they are self-evident. And of course, Rick Perry had this wonderful gem about gays ruining everyone's lives and stealing Christmas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA If you want to know how receptive some people are to this sort of tripe, just look at the results from Iowa and SC. I guess the intended audience for such remarks is smart enough to work a voting machine, unfortunately.

-tammer
So you're only concerned with racial or ethnic bigotry? Of course. Since these are the only two real and truly serious issues facing our country today. Once again you've resorted to the classic "but look what those horrible republicans are doing!" maneuver. Better keep pulling the lever for the D's huh? Just to be safe? Whos acting on fear here?

Your BDS appears to be terminal.
Keep fishin', Dan. You quoted THIS from me:
... blacks, gays, poor, Muslims ...
and said Dems are using the same tactics. So I provided examples and asked you to do the same, and now you're changing your parameters. Make up your mind.

I'll extend the game, though, by pointing out that only one party is actively campaigning against scientific advancement, research funding, and education. Keep 'em stupid, keep 'em scared. If I were going to make my own generalization, I would say the major failing of the stupid people on the left is a sense of entitlement, while the major failing of the stupid people on the right is bigotry and fear.

-tammer
mechacode
Posts: 692
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Wi

Post by mechacode »

The right wingers use racist and bigoted themes to gain votes from the less intelligent? Shocker.
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

oldskool wrote:Back to the underlying pissing contest please. . .
Todd and I aren't engaged in a pissing contest. I think that's pretty clear. What's also clear is that the adults have left the room. The kids will bicker and insult each other until they tire each other out or they realize it's a waste of time. I am only curious to see which occurs first.

EDIT: Tammer, I think you are a good guy, but your constant bashing of religion is distasteful and, in my judgment, bigoted. I would suggest, before you continue to lump all those who believe in God into one camp -- "the uneducated" or "the fearful" as I am not sure what the appropriate insulting category would be -- that you take some of the time you spend trolling Youtube for stupid political clips to read Aquinas's Five Proofs or even to read excerpts from or the entirety of his Summa. I am not trying to convince you to believe in God or not believe in God -- it's your call and it's your life -- but one of the things that gets lost in all the fashionable bashing of Christianity and the Catholic Church is that there is a rigorous intellectual tradition that is often lost or somehow overlooked. Yes, certainly there are ignorant religious people but there are ignorant people in all spheres of life. I think if you read either of these pieces you would be better informed and your incessant criticism of religion -- I would think it not far off to call it hatred -- would soften a bit.

I am really done now -- you will not hear from me further on this thread. I only broke my own statement above because I had no intention of insulting Todd personally and had forgotten that he lived in one of the areas I mentioned earlier. So it was better to keep it going and avoid that misunderstanding in my judgment, because I respect him. And I am not trying to argue with you either, but rather give you a bit of a different perspective.
Karl Grau
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: 1930's Germany

Post by Karl Grau »

rlomba8204 wrote:What's also clear is that the adults have left the room.
It's okay, I'm back now.
I just wanted to offer a disclaimer on that pic I posted yesterday of the dad and kid looking at poor people. The kid is obviously gay (NTTAWWT) and I didn't want to imply that Todd or Ray's kid is also gay (NTTAWWT).
You will not hear from me further on this thread.
Cory
Posts: 894
Joined: Sep 07, 2006
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Cory »

Are you saying that I should post my article from yesterday?
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

HEY! What did I miss? I almost got run over by stupid construction workers in a car while running in Orlando yesterday.

Now those are some stupid people for sure! 100% of them, no exceptions.
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

rlomba8204 wrote: EDIT: Tammer, I think you are a good guy, but your constant bashing of religion is distasteful and, in my judgment, bigoted. I would suggest, before you continue to lump all those who believe in God into one camp -- "the uneducated" or "the fearful" as I am not sure what the appropriate insulting category would be -- that you take some of the time you spend trolling Youtube for stupid political clips to read Aquinas's Five Proofs or even to read excerpts from or the entirety of his Summa. I am not trying to convince you to believe in God or not believe in God -- it's your call and it's your life -- but one of the things that gets lost in all the fashionable bashing of Christianity and the Catholic Church is that there is a rigorous intellectual tradition that is often lost or somehow overlooked. Yes, certainly there are ignorant religious people but there are ignorant people in all spheres of life. I think if you read either of these pieces you would be better informed and your incessant criticism of religion -- I would think it not far off to call it hatred -- would soften a bit.

I am really done now -- you will not hear from me further on this thread. I only broke my own statement above because I had no intention of insulting Todd personally and had forgotten that he lived in one of the areas I mentioned earlier. So it was better to keep it going and avoid that misunderstanding in my judgment, because I respect him. And I am not trying to argue with you either, but rather give you a bit of a different perspective.
Ray, first of all you should probably know I've read Aquinas. And lots of C.S. Lewis (though you probably shouldn't get me started on the not-very-subtle anti-Muslim imagery in the Narnia chronicles--which I was able to pick up on at the age of 8), and St. Augustine, and others. I like you, but the defense of religion in and of itself is as tiresome to me as my language is to you. And I'll explain why:

When I discuss religion, I focus only on the effects of people who claim religion as their motivation in every day life. I comment on their actions, their statements, and (usually) the obvious discontinuity in their stated beliefs and the actions in question. That should make it immediately apparent that I don't have a problem with all religious people--in fact, the vast majority of religious people don't even trip my radar. It's the ones using religion for manipulation of others and those believers stupid enough to fall for it that are my beef. This clearly counts you out, but not those who, say, believe we should spend taxpayer dollars teaching Creationism in schools. It isn't about fashion, it's about observing what's happening in the nation and world and making an honest accounting of it.

Here's an example. My postulate, relevant to the topic of this thread: the "stupid people" on the right that are swayed by bigoted arguments are likely to consider themselves religious. That's a problem. Why do I say that? Because Barry Goldwater-type republicans wouldn't get worked up by the types of rhetoric I quoted in the posts above (note--I didn't have to go back more than a couple weeks to find plenty of examples of what I'd consider hate speech from leading Republicans). If you're curious, here's what Goldwater had to say about religion and politics:
Goldwater wrote:On religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.
I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C" and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?
And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism." (1981, Senate floor)
and
Goldwater wrote:Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them. (1994)
The use of religiously-motivated wedge issues (gay marriage, abortion) and religious fear (terrorism) to gain popular support is a recent development, and one that should be reversed. Some people saw it coming. Look at today's Republican candidates: the Mormon isn't Christian enough, the other Mormon wasn't "conservative" enough, anyone who isn't vocally pro-life and anti-gay rights is discounted out of hand. That is exactly what Goldwater was predicting. No compromise. Note that none of this headline-making rhetoric even touches on traditional conservative principles of fiscal control and small government; it's all about social control. That is the new religious republicanism.

Now, it's not just Christianity. Look at women's rights. The abuses of radical Islam are well known: in Saudi Arabia, women can't drive, can't be seen in public with a man who is not her husband, must cover her body and head, etc. It's disgusting. In tribal Pakistan, a woman who is raped is either killed or forced to marry her rapist. Even more disgusting. Of course, Santorum would send us down a similar path, saying that if a woman is raped and becomes pregnant, she should "embrace that gift from God." And the Jews don't get off scot-free, either: an 8-y.o. girl was spat on and called a whore because supposedly adult men didn't like how she was dressed. (I hate to reference the Daily Mail, but it was the first hit on the article and I've spent too long typing this already.) Similar things have been reported in Hasidic neighborhoods in Brooklyn. So one can easily support the argument that extreme viewpoints in all major religions are working hard to turn back the clock on women's rights and to justify abuses of women. That isn't acceptable to most of us, and when I see religious extremism bubbling to the top in leading candidates, you can bet your ass I'll stand up and say something about it. This isn't Christianity as it was taught by Jesus or meant to be practiced; this is the abuse of religious language to gain support for horrible policies, discriminatory policies, and divisive policies.

That is the faction in this country that is anti-science. That is the faction that is anti-education, that wants to cut funding for research but increase funding for teaching of creationism. They want to cut funding for birth control and preventive care but increase spending on wars against "them." That is the group that I am speaking out against, over and over, because they are actively destroying the things that made America what it is--religious FREEDOM, not tolerance, advancement by public education, and world-leading civil liberties for all citizens, not just straight white males. They claim to speak for you, Ray, and you should be just as offended as I am, if not more so, rather than defending them because they are "religious."

I can write just as much about my issues with the democrats--it can be summed up very quickly as "all-out assault on privacy and personal liberty via the TSA, FISA, and PATRIOT act," but those are all supported by Republicans as well (Ron Paul excepted), so there's no winning on that front unless we as a country can agree to throw out every bastard in Congress at once to send a message. Similarly, the corruption in Congress is rampant on both sides of thei aisle. But that's a different argument for a different day.

Cheers, I'm done here.
Tammer
T_C_D
Posts: 7733
Joined: May 27, 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Contact:

Post by T_C_D »

Well stated Tammer!
Cory
Posts: 894
Joined: Sep 07, 2006
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Cory »

This is all I have to say to all of you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUryeDLpY_c
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

T_C_D wrote:Well stated Tammer!
It was very well stated. The problem with these arguments, and why it is of no real purpose to respond substantively, is that the principles involved are the foundation of someone's thinking. The implication is that arguing doesn't change minds, it just expends ink, or in this case keystrokes, and, as your post exemplifies, simply excites the respective cheering sections and leads to bad blood between the people doing the arguing. Because I actually like and respect a lot of the people here, including Tammer and you, I would rather not engage in more pointless arguing but rather respectfully suggest that you not, in your minds or in your posts, lump all those people who profess belief in God or politics different than your own into some sort of "ignoramus" category. It's very insulting.
AT8M5
Posts: 1224
Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Location: 2sun, AZ

Post by AT8M5 »

So, what ever happened to "Separation of Church and State" anyway? Just a minor inconvenience I guess.

Karl
T_C_D
Posts: 7733
Joined: May 27, 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Contact:

Post by T_C_D »

rlomba8204 wrote:
politics different than your own into some sort of "ignoramus" category. It's very insulting.
Isn't this exactly what you did when you labeled the affluent members of certain communities racist?
rlomba8204
Posts: 4869
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Post by rlomba8204 »

T_C_D wrote:
rlomba8204 wrote:
politics different than your own into some sort of "ignoramus" category. It's very insulting.
Isn't this exactly what you did when you labeled the affluent members of certain communities racist?
No. The point was about "sophisticated people" in the northeast judging "dumb hicks" in other parts of the country -- breaking down stereotypes in other words. But you just want to argue so go ahead and do so.
T_C_D
Posts: 7733
Joined: May 27, 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Contact:

Post by T_C_D »

rlomba8204 wrote:
T_C_D wrote:
rlomba8204 wrote:
politics different than your own into some sort of "ignoramus" category. It's very insulting.
Isn't this exactly what you did when you labeled the affluent members of certain communities racist?
You obviously want to continue to argue. Go ahead and do so.
Who is arguing? I asked you a basic question based on your previous statement. It's OK for you to ignore it publicly as long as you contemplate it.

Have you even lived outside of the major metropolitan areas of the NE and Mid Atlantic.

I grew up in country bumpkin FL and have lived in Nola, NC and OH. I have also lived in Chicago, Milwaukee, CT, NY (Bronx) and NY (Westchester). My opinions about religious fervor are based on my life experiences in all of these places and certainly not based on what the media reports about ignorant country Christians. :roll:
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

T_C_D wrote:
rlomba8204 wrote:
T_C_D wrote:
rlomba8204 wrote:
politics different than your own into some sort of "ignoramus" category. It's very insulting.
Isn't this exactly what you did when you labeled the affluent members of certain communities racist?
You obviously want to continue to argue. Go ahead and do so.
Who is arguing? I asked you a basic question based on your previous statement. It's OK for you to ignore it publicly as long as you contemplate it.

Have you even lived outside of the major metropolitan areas of the NE and Mid Atlantic.

I grew up in country bumpkin FL and have lived in Nola, NC and OH. I have also lived in Chicago, Milwaukee, CT, NY (Bronx) and NY (Westchester). My opinions about religious fervor are based on my life experiences in all of these places and certainly not based on what the media reports about ignorant country Christians. :roll:
+1. Grew up in small white town Indiana, lived in Baltimore, Philly, NY (Manhattan), Seattle, and Florence. But I guess I am just an elitist New Englander despite never having lived there.

-tammer
Karl Grau
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: 1930's Germany

Post by Karl Grau »

Would somebody please call someone a Nazi in a post? Once that's done I think we can mark this thread 'complete' and and move on.

Image
nnarth212
Posts: 1953
Joined: Aug 10, 2009
Location: San Francisco

Post by nnarth212 »

From the Wonkette:

NEW YORK—Hey look! It’s that time of year again, and the semi-annual release of some or another study claiming that conservatives are stupid has finally landed on liberal doorsteps across America. Perfect timing, really! Since, you know, the one thing the country needs right now more than just about anything else is yet another excuse to avoid the hard work of looking at those we disagree with as equal partners in a national conversation, people who we must engage with and convince—and, oh, maybe as a result challenge ourselves to check our work and, you know, make better arguments! But hey, now we can all let ourselves off the hook and just deride them as all a bunch of idiots who aren’t even worth talking to in the first place. Thank you, science! Yes, this is quite obviously how we will move forward together as a nation. (It was the dramatic improvement in the quality of the national discourse evidenced after the last two dozen times a study like this was published that gives us so much faith.)...

wonkette.com
Post Reply