Throw it out to the masses, slight forum re-arrangement

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

Jeremy wrote:
wkohler wrote:The thing I noticed is that the text under "Tech FAQ" is "General E28 FAQs." That's not very exciting - nor is it eye-catching.

There really should be some text that tells people they need to look there before asking a question in Tech Talk.
I'm open to suggestions as to what the changed description might say.
How about:

"If the first thing that breaks on your E28 isn't in here, we'll buy you a beer."
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Can we add in a couple of rules, like:
If you post a for sale or wanted to buy ad, please post FS or WTB in the thread title.
If you post a FS ad, please name a price or ask for pricing guidance.
If you post a car FS ad, please post the state in the title (e.g. VA FS 1982 528e)

As for reorganization, I'm for it if it helps direct people to the FAQ.
tones
Posts: 351
Joined: Nov 29, 2011
Location: Chicago IL

Post by tones »

Jeremy wrote:
tones wrote:So move the not looked at faq to the not looked at comments?
Do you have a better proposal or just criticism?
The FAQ section honestly could be more detailed. Alot of the topics in there seem half answered assuming the person reading knows the rest or the missing parts. And if the response to this is use search. Than why bother keeping FAQ around in general?

I use it a good amount.
Last edited by tones on Dec 24, 2011 11:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

My suggestion.
1st - Move the "Tech FAQ" forum, renamed "Frequently Asked Questions" into the "Tech Talk" forum as a sticky.
2nd - Move all the stickies from the "Tech Talk" forum's general body into the "Frequently Asked Questions" sticky.
3rd - Move "What is this "Bentley" manual?" from the "Forum FAQ" into the "Frequently Asked Questions" sticky.

P.S.
Sticky this thread in the newly titled "Frequently Asked Questions" sticky as well. :)
Justin_FL
MyE28 IT Guru
MyE28 IT Guru
Posts: 2838
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Palm Beach
Contact:

Post by Justin_FL »

Since I have a bit of autonomy with regard to forum stuff, some of these changes and/or recommendations made here were things I was planning to do during/after the update of forum software. There is a wee bit more flexibility available.
juan c.
Posts: 57
Joined: Jun 03, 2010
Location: Northampton, MA

Post by juan c. »

This would have saved me some embarrassment...I wandered in here after I got my car and promptly got myself into an internet disaster . On bmw2002faq, the general discussion forum is general discussion about 2002's. Here, as it turns out, it's about e28s and far beyond. Rather more entertaining here, I must say.
I think you should just make it a sticky: "If you are new to the forum, please take a moment to read the 'rules'". It's always at the top of the general forum, everyone sees it first, and maybe someone will read it before making an ass out of themselves (i would have read it had it been there at the top).
Post Reply