** 5erWest 2010 ** - June 5th - Oregon

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Kenny Blankenship
Posts: 4942
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: NNV

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

I'm still here at the hotel! I had breakfast with a friend I haven't seen in over 15 years.

I had a GREAT time. It was great to meet the NW crowd and the weather was perfect until today. No reason why I couldn't come back next year!

Well, there were two gripes:

1. Who in Oregon thought of this stupid rule that you can't pump your own gas? I had to keep resisting the urge every time I pulled into a station. It makes it hard to get accurate MPG readings.

2. The speed limits are too low!
wkohler
Posts: 50941
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

It creates jobs.
PMA
Posts: 277
Joined: Apr 08, 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Post by PMA »

It makes it take longer, and makes me look and feed stupid when I'm out of state and just sit in my car for a minute before realizing I get to do it myself.
euro635gas
Posts: 1085
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Oregon

Post by euro635gas »

[quote="

1. Who in Oregon thought of this stupid rule that you can't pump your own gas? I had to keep resisting the urge every time I pulled into a station. It makes it hard to get accurate MPG readings.

2. The speed limits are too low![/quote]

Gas price is the same or close. Most of us are happy with it. We have speed limits?

I had a great time. Even managed to get a sun burn on my neck from looking at all the cars. The 5erdrive was a blast until that old VW Bus got in front of me. At least it was German car and he actually was flying for a type2.
euro635gas
Posts: 1085
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Oregon

Post by euro635gas »

Few pics. Large
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
MeanM50
Posts: 17
Joined: May 16, 2008

Post by MeanM50 »

Kenny Blankenship wrote:It makes it hard to get accurate MPG readings.
How so? The pumps stop at the same spot regardless who is pumping. And having GP's (gas pumpers) I don't have to smell like gas, wash my windows or get out in the cold. IMO the rest of the country has it backwards.
Jake D
Posts: 2107
Joined: Jun 20, 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Post by Jake D »

I'm itching to see PICS!!!

This is a pretty decent group shot taken by Tyler's SO

Image
Last edited by Jake D on Jun 07, 2010 1:10 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Jake D
Posts: 2107
Joined: Jun 20, 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Post by Jake D »

At least two times on Sat I tried to take an official count of cars. Not everybody who came got checked in. (note to self... handle that differently next year) On one count there were 98 cars there, but I know that at least 2 more cars showed up later while others left early. All in all, I figure that we had about 100 cars show up. Apx 40 of them were e28s.
Jake D
Posts: 2107
Joined: Jun 20, 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Post by Jake D »

Stole this pic from Tyler's sig on the club forum...
Image Too cool!!
Mike in Seattle
Posts: 1562
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Maple Valley, WA

Post by Mike in Seattle »

I had a great time! The weather couldn't have been better and it was nice being able to put faces with the names on the forums. I have to give a big thank you to Jake and everyone else who put in so much time to put on a great event.

I didn't take a lot of pictures, but here is one from the drive back from Hood River. We came back on the Oregon side up the Columbia River Gorge on Hwy 30. We had a small group of cars and the drive was awesome. Lots of twisties, beautiful scenery and hardly any traffic made for a fun spirited drive back.

Image

Can't wait for next year!
Dinan e28
Posts: 3343
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Portland Oregon
Contact:

Post by Dinan e28 »

That was a great drive, I was completely exhausted by that time. Also Darin with the cabro e30, thanks for the photo shoot with Daniel.
SEASean
Posts: 177
Joined: Aug 08, 2008
Location: Seattle

Post by SEASean »

Thank you Jake... for putting together a great event!
mtnman533
Posts: 1599
Joined: Oct 02, 2008
Location: Los Gatos, CA

Post by mtnman533 »

This meet was totally epic and it was great to meet all the guys on the forums. I got a lot of pics that I'm slowly editing through and will post up ASAP.

... How long until the next one?
vinceg101
Posts: 5138
Joined: Jun 20, 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post by vinceg101 »

Jake D wrote:At least two times on Sat I tried to take an official count of cars. Not everybody who came got checked in. (note to self... handle that differently next year) On one count there were 98 cars there, but I know that at least 2 more cars showed up later while others left early. All in all, I figure that we had about 100 cars show up. Apx 40 of them were e28s.
Jake this is AWESOME!! :up:

You guys did a great job; it just goes to show how much can be accomplished if some dedicated people put their minds to it and step up. You have started what will likely become THE new West Coast event; one that we can all be proud of.

The photos are all looking great. Any chance we can get a dedicated sticky in either the Eye Candy for all the photos (instead of a half dozen individual threads?) or just pile them all in here?

West Coast Rules!
seerden6
Posts: 66
Joined: Oct 18, 2007
Location: Seattle

Post by seerden6 »

I also want to say "thanks Jake" for putting all this together. My wife and I had a great time, and she even remarked on the trek back that it would be great if this became an annual event. Anyway, it was great to meet you guys, and it always amazes me how these old cars attract the nicest folks!

See you next year! (I hope)

-Rolf
WH
Posts: 599
Joined: Sep 17, 2007
Location: White Salmon, WA

Post by WH »

Here's a link to my facebook photo album of the 5erwest fest.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... c1de093163

Thanks to Jake for organizing and running this event! It a lot of work and he and his crew should be proud.

WH
Mike W.
Posts: 27991
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

Finally, some pics of mine.

A group shot at the pub
Image

An uber clean Bav that got lots of attention.
Image

A nice row of sharks
Image

My best attempt at a complete group shot
Image

Another row of E28s
Image

And from the front
Image

John SCB and his stunning E34. It looked much more impressive here than when I last saw it at 5er Fest 08
Image

I'm sure it was just a coincidence the black and whites were parked in front of Bimmerguys car, LOL.
Image

Granted it's 3 sized, but we even had a sucessor to the famed Ratty
Image

The best E28 there both in my opinion and the winner. Amazing considering it was essentially totaled a few years ago.
Image
Dinan e28
Posts: 3343
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Portland Oregon
Contact:

Post by Dinan e28 »

Nope thats not me.
Image
A few people accidentally confused our cars.
Jake D
Posts: 2107
Joined: Jun 20, 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Post by Jake D »

Dinan e28 wrote:Nope thats not me.
A few people accidentally confused our cars.
RECOUNT!!!! ;)
jwhiii
Posts: 147
Joined: Feb 15, 2010
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon

Post by jwhiii »

Mike W. photo'd my car as the "best E28" at the Fest and I'm humbled to have my car mistaken for Simon's. ( :? corrected) However my nod and vote go to Simon's car. That said, I couldn't avoid a little trash talking after a few brews in Hood River, I told Simon I was going to get him next year.

The painter was finishing up my car Thursday night and didn't even get a final polish on it before he had to take his wife to the airport. Being the great gentleman that he is, he said take it to the Fest anyway and he will reshoot all the shadowline trim since the paint was still fresh, reshoot the roof which he still didn't like, and not accept payment until I was delighted. (He even declineed to dip into the fifth of Bookers that I gave him Thursday night until we were both satisfied with the car). An awesome dude and if anyone is looking for an old school painter in the Portland area, I can arrange an intro.

This was my first 4 wheel enthusiast event and I didn't know what to expect. I don't do well in crowds, but the warmth was there and I had a great time. Thanks to all who had a hand in putting together such an awesome event.

I'll get some pics up later.
Last edited by jwhiii on Jun 07, 2010 11:07 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Dinan e28
Posts: 3343
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Portland Oregon
Contact:

Post by Dinan e28 »

jwhiii wrote:Mike W. photo'd my car as the "best E28" at the Fest and I'm humbled to have my car mistaken for Simon'. However my nod and vote go to Simon' car. That said, I couldn't avoid a little trash talking after a few brews in Hood River, I told Simon I was going to get him next year.

The painter was finishing up my car Thursday night and didn't even get a final polish on it before he had to take his wife to the airport. Being the great gentleman that he is, he said take it to the Fest anyway and he will reshoot all the shadowline trim since the paint was still fresh, reshoot the roof which he still didn't like, and not accept payment until I was delighted. (He even declineed to dip into the fifth of Bookers that I gave him Thursday night until we were both satisfied with the car). An awesome dude and if anyone is looking for an old school painter in the Portland area, I can arrange an intro.

This was my first 4 wheel enthusiast event and I didn't know what to expect. I don't do well in crowds, but the warmth was there and I had a great time. Thanks to all who had a hand in putting together such an awesome event.

I'll get some pics up later.
Removed Chris, added Simon aka Dinan e28.
I would have liked to have had, more time to look at your John. What year, was your paint code from?
Dinan e28
Posts: 3343
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Portland Oregon
Contact:

Post by Dinan e28 »

Jake D wrote:
Dinan e28 wrote:Nope thats not me.
A few people accidentally confused our cars.
RECOUNT!!!! ;)
Jwhiii (John's)car was definitely competition, I'm glad I had my hood open. :lol:
jwhiii
Posts: 147
Joined: Feb 15, 2010
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon

Post by jwhiii »

Oops, apologies Simon, Brain fog set in. Here are some pics:

Image

The back end of my car next to some nice M5's
Image

The front of my car with the same M5's
Image

Not Jay's car. My bad again.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Very original Euro
Image

Image
Last edited by jwhiii on Jun 07, 2010 11:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Jake D
Posts: 2107
Joined: Jun 20, 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Post by Jake D »

jwhiii wrote: Jay's car was here; Jay was having a baby!
Image
Actually...
That is Sonnie's car. His family owns the restaurant that catered 5erWest. To be fair, Jay did show up later!
Dinan e28
Posts: 3343
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Portland Oregon
Contact:

Post by Dinan e28 »

Jake D wrote:
jwhiii wrote: Jay's car was here; Jay was having a baby!
Image
Actually...
That is Sonnie's car. His family owns the restaurant that catered 5erWest. To be fair, Jay did show up later!
Jay was going to have, his car show up with out him. But some how, he made it.
jwhiii
Posts: 147
Joined: Feb 15, 2010
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon

Post by jwhiii »

I'm batting a couple of o'fers. When I arrived I asked about Jay and was told about the impending baby but I heard that was Jay's car; that he had someone drive it in for him. Something about not doing all that work getting it ready and not having it there.

I'm pouring a glass of wine and heading up to bed. 4:00am comes mighty early. Good night and good luck.
jay
Posts: 983
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Beaverton, Or

Post by jay »

John, your car looked great! Can't wait to see it when she is back from the paint shop. I did finally show up at around 2pm for about an hour.

Image
Mike W.
Posts: 27991
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

Dinan e28 wrote:Nope thats not me.

A few people accidentally confused our cars.
OK, is this the right one? I knew when I was there, but now... Actually it seems as many pics as I took, since your hood was usually open, I don't have a full front on pic.

Image
Post Reply