What's your Day Job?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
SD45T-2

Post by SD45T-2 »

i do aligment & brake jobs on peoples car's
i hate it. anyone want to swap jobs?

i do atleast 2 tie rods a day as well. THANKS CHEVY! :argue:
slammin_e28
Posts: 6140
Joined: Aug 05, 2007
Location: 24477

Post by slammin_e28 »

Produce Technician at Kroger....at least thats what I call it. Soon to be student at Universal Technical Institute (Exton PA campus) in August. Shooting to become a BMW Tech. :alright:
maddoge28
Posts: 359
Joined: Mar 16, 2008

Post by maddoge28 »

Vatoloco wrote:i do aligment & brake jobs on peoples car's
i hate it. anyone want to swap jobs?

i do atleast 2 tie rods a day as well. THANKS CHEVY! :argue:
dude dont joke... i would trade you in a second.

i was 90 degrees in the sun and we were throwing down 400 asphalt.

can you imagine the the smell and radient heat?
m.olennick
Posts: 317
Joined: Oct 23, 2006
Location: PDX
Contact:

Post by m.olennick »

I am a full-time student at WSU. I am pursuing a double major in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.

On the side I work for a construction firm providing estimates and pull figures from blueprints, cubicle stuff. Hopefully I will have an internship here pretty quick.
Terry Mustoe
Posts: 281
Joined: Jul 08, 2006
Location: Wet and wild Washington state

Job

Post by Terry Mustoe »

Psychologist...GO COUGS! :banana:
vinceg101
Posts: 5133
Joined: Jun 20, 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post by vinceg101 »

pdx 528e wrote:I work in architecture. I can't call myself an Architect for a few more years: I have to record IDP units and take the exams first.
Silly rule isn't it? They let almost anybody practice Architecture, but they don't let you use the title "Architect" unless you're licensed (at least here in California). Stick with it though, it is worth it in the end, at least for the personal satisfaction.

I got my license 11 years ago and after working for many others, some good some not so good, and working in construction estimating, I now work for myself. I may not be getting rich (that's a laugh) but I'm happier now.

Mostly residential with some commercial and condo work thrown in.

P.S. Sorry you couldn't make it down to Reno; would have liked to talk about the Portland Architecture scene.
ctebb
Posts: 58
Joined: May 25, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post by ctebb »

Kieran wrote:I am that guy that holds the pole with the mic on tv shows... well i do much more but that is what people would notice...

what i basically do is make sure that audio is being recorded for tv shows... to do this we use various wireless microphones, mixers, recorders, lackies etc.... I also do a bit of consulting, setting up shows and helping other sound mixers get around technical problems...

the rest of the time i play with my blackberry and look busy...
I am the guy that runs power to lights (when a '3rd') or works with the Director of Photography to design the light for Film/Tv (when a 'Gaffer').

Other than that, pretty much the same, except with an iPhone. Hoho.
CRSHVCTM
Posts: 97
Joined: May 24, 2008
Location: Manchester N.H.

Post by CRSHVCTM »

I work for the telephone company as an adiministrative assistant. I used to be an outside technician for them installing phones in peoples house. But a wonderful motorcycle accident ended that for me. The doctors seemed to frown apon me climbing ladders and gaffin poles after I broke my pelvic in 3 places.
Das_Prachtstrasse
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sep 10, 2006
Location: Melbourne, Doooown Under

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

CRSHVCTM wrote:I work for the telephone company as an adiministrative assistant. I used to be an outside technician for them installing phones in peoples house. But a wonderful motorcycle accident ended that for me. The doctors seemed to frown apon me climbing ladders and gaffin poles after I broke my pelvic in 3 places.
Yeah can't imagine they'd be too pleased.
SD45T-2

Post by SD45T-2 »

my day job is working at the shop,


i do brake jobs,and align cars, that have way to much caster & camber.


my cost for 750I pads & rotors are $75 for all 4 :banana:

while at night, i change my name to roxanne, and walk the streets for money, not caring if its right or wrong.
JoshInAtlanta
Posts: 4434
Joined: Apr 22, 2006
Location: Holly Springs, GA

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

Vatoloco wrote:i am pysco. :banana:
Is that pronounced piss-co or piz-co?
WVe28
Posts: 2137
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Charleston, WV

Post by WVe28 »

Ninja Assassin for the gubment.

When I'm not doing that, I work with Army databases and automation systems.
Last edited by WVe28 on May 31, 2011 12:28 AM, edited 2 times in total.
M5Greg
Posts: 4
Joined: Jun 08, 2008
Location: Cupertino, Ca

Post by M5Greg »

Here's a hint. this is a picture from my um, office:
Image

I'm a power lineman.
The Baron
Posts: 620
Joined: Nov 26, 2007
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by The Baron »

Preacher
Nanajoth
Posts: 1554
Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: TX

Post by Nanajoth »

I work at Rite-Aid, I wear a cool vest.
Bonapartist
Posts: 422
Joined: Jun 05, 2006
Location: California

Post by Bonapartist »

Student and glass blower.
C'ville Steve
Posts: 198
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Charlottesviille, Virginia

I'm on Vacation!!!!!

Post by C'ville Steve »

I am a High School History Teacher, and now I am on vacation. :roll: This is one of the reasons I teach. :alright: Over the next 9 weeks, I may work 3 or 4 days. Otherwise, I will be sleeping most of this week, working on my cars over the next few weeks, swimming and otherwise, avoiding the heat until I have to go back to the mayhem in the middle of August. :lol:
hugh1850
Posts: 913
Joined: Aug 14, 2006
Location: Houston

Post by hugh1850 »

Institutional investment consultant. Currently a CFA candidate.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

Vatoloco wrote:while at night, i change my name to roxanne, and walk the streets for money, not caring if its right or wrong.
You do that too? I thought I was the only one...

avoiding the heat until I have to go back to the mayhem in the middle of August.
Me too!! 2 more days for me!
pdx 528e
Posts: 3034
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Idaho Falls, ID

Post by pdx 528e »

vinceg101 wrote:
pdx 528e wrote:I work in architecture. I can't call myself an Architect for a few more years: I have to record IDP units and take the exams first.
Silly rule isn't it? They let almost anybody practice Architecture, but they don't let you use the title "Architect" unless you're licensed (at least here in California). Stick with it though, it is worth it in the end, at least for the personal satisfaction.

I got my license 11 years ago and after working for many others, some good some not so good, and working in construction estimating, I now work for myself. I may not be getting rich (that's a laugh) but I'm happier now.

Mostly residential with some commercial and condo work thrown in.

P.S. Sorry you couldn't make it down to Reno; would have liked to talk about the Portland Architecture scene.
I'm sorry I missed out on this years fest. Unfortunately, I had some other things going on in my life. Ian mentioned that he's going to head back down for some super wrench fests; perhaps I'll meet you and others if I am able to do the same.

I spent the first 3 years out of school getting acclimated to the industry, but I neglected my IDP paperwork (bureaucracy) for too long. I finally have everything squared away, and my principals are really pushing to help me satisfy the requirements soon enough to take the tests in about 3 years.

I work for a local start-up firm, and I was their first full time employee. I was laid off, and re-hired during the first year. It's been really rewarding to stick with it, as I am provided a lot of opportunities for growth and personal development. Our primary focus is institutional work, mainly higher education and health care. We are looking to get our hands into the fabric of the community; currently our closest big jobs are each over 50 miles away. 8)
rexmo
Posts: 1149
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Missouriopolis

Post by rexmo »

Director of Engineering for a smallish company that produces urethane products and crumb rubber products from tire recycling operations.
LA
Posts: 1560
Joined: Jan 31, 2007
Location: Winchester TN

job

Post by LA »

I'm a ME but have been in aerospace going on thirty years. Currently three years into a program to design & build a ground test facility for developing Ram & Scramjet engines. It will use a nozzle with variable/varying area ratio (Mach no) and closed loop control for vitiated combustion heated air. Control will close on the engines net thrust...so IF we can pull it off, you can start your engine at Mach 2 or so and the facility will 'fly' it through the desired hypersonic trajectory up to around Mach 6 or so.

This is the fourth time our country has endevered to develop these engines (remember the 'Orient Express' (aka NASP) of Reagan's era?) but flight testing always used up the dollars before we got things working. :evil: I've been called the eternal optomist, but I think we will get there this time through ground testing & I am stoked! Can you tell? I can honestly say I love my job...it's sorta the E28 of ways to earn your keep! 8)
Miss Landspeed
Posts: 18
Joined: Jun 10, 2008
Location: Vegas

Post by Miss Landspeed »

I work front office at a pediatrician's office. Basically, I'm a secretary.
Dinan e28
Posts: 3343
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Portland Oregon
Contact:

Post by Dinan e28 »

Avalon Antiques & Vintage clothing.
410 SW Oak Portland Or
97204 Open 7 days a week
I own a Vintage clothing, and Antique store in Portland Oregon.
We have been open for over 30 years. Started by my family in 1976. We specialize in better mens vintage, watches and small antiques. We sell ladies clothing too.
Image
Image
Image♦
Image
Me and the Beastie Boys
Image
In front of my 72 GS Riviera.
Image
Me and Adroc in Seattle after dinner in Seattle Wa 2 months later.
Image
Adrock decked out in my cloths, from Avalon.
Image
MCA & Mike D also in my clothes.
Image
Hanging out before the show in the Croc in Seatle Wa
As the Beastie Boys guest.
Yes I'm a fan.
Sorry to the people, who know the story already.
We don't sell online but here is our myspace page.
http://www.myspace.com/avalonantiques
Thanks for looking Simon aka Dinan E28
vinceg101
Posts: 5133
Joined: Jun 20, 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post by vinceg101 »

pdx 528e wrote:
vinceg101 wrote:
pdx 528e wrote:I work in architecture. I can't call myself an Architect for a few more years: I have to record IDP units and take the exams first.
Silly rule isn't it? They let almost anybody practice Architecture, but they don't let you use the title "Architect" unless you're licensed (at least here in California). Stick with it though, it is worth it in the end, at least for the personal satisfaction.

I got my license 11 years ago and after working for many others, some good some not so good, and working in construction estimating, I now work for myself. I may not be getting rich (that's a laugh) but I'm happier now.

Mostly residential with some commercial and condo work thrown in.

P.S. Sorry you couldn't make it down to Reno; would have liked to talk about the Portland Architecture scene.
I'm sorry I missed out on this years fest. Unfortunately, I had some other things going on in my life. Ian mentioned that he's going to head back down for some super wrench fests; perhaps I'll meet you and others if I am able to do the same.

I spent the first 3 years out of school getting acclimated to the industry, but I neglected my IDP paperwork (bureaucracy) for too long. I finally have everything squared away, and my principals are really pushing to help me satisfy the requirements soon enough to take the tests in about 3 years.

I work for a local start-up firm, and I was their first full time employee. I was laid off, and re-hired during the first year. It's been really rewarding to stick with it, as I am provided a lot of opportunities for growth and personal development. Our primary focus is institutional work, mainly higher education and health care. We are looking to get our hands into the fabric of the community; currently our closest big jobs are each over 50 miles away. 8)
Cool, look forward to seeing more of the members in the flesh. Funny story: turns out I was in Portland 2 years ago and as my wife and I were standing on a street corner, this awesome looking e28 rolls by. Of course, my eyes catch it and say "wow, great car". It's not until I get home and check the board and see it belonging to one of you guys up there. (Forgive my addled brain, but I can't recall who or what car its was).
Anyway, I hear you about the those first couple years out of school: it's hard enough to figure out which end is up and whether or not you're working for right firm, will you ever get to do what you believe in, will you ever get paid, yadda, yadda. So keeping track of your IDP seems way down on the list. I have former classmates that are still trying to get that exam behind them. It's good to hear your bosses are behind you, it's up to those of us older to bring along the next wave. Public work may be more complicated, but it tends to serve a more noble cause (yes, Architects really can change the world. There, I just made my first year professor happy).

Say howdy to Ian. We were glad to offer up our floor for the two nights (although he was out in the garage cooking up breakfast to the disheveled hordes into the wee hours, so we didn't see him too much). See you soon.
Hunter has a Bimmer3
Posts: 1585
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada/North Carolina

Post by Hunter has a Bimmer3 »

Hunter has a Bimmer3 wrote:I work at a Mental Health Hospital. I deal with crazy people, wipe asses of people that have no brain left, restrain people, and get punched, kicked, spit on (or spit in the eye), etc. Do I like my job? Eh.
Just an example some told me they would shit on my head (a patient).
tdbrewst
Posts: 781
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post by tdbrewst »

Ex engineer now in Corporate Finance in the aerospace industry.
uacmarine
Posts: 559
Joined: Apr 12, 2008
Location: Katy, Texas

Post by uacmarine »

I'm a poor college student studying Industrial Distribution. During the summers, I work at a local law office as either a paper pusher or as a custody mediator. Tying this back to the purpose of this board, I had to deliver notices of sopeona one day to local schools for some kid's attendance records and the secretary told me I looked nothing like a lawyer(I had no idea I would deliver this stuff that day, so I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt). My response? I told her I drive a BMW (do E28's count? ;]) so I thought I was pretty damn close, haha...then had to explain to her that I merely worked for a law office.
Greenday99
Posts: 93
Joined: Jul 20, 2008

Post by Greenday99 »

BMW Level One Technician.....Gayyyy
JoshInAtlanta
Posts: 4434
Joined: Apr 22, 2006
Location: Holly Springs, GA

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

Vatoloco wrote:while at night, i change my name to roxanne, and walk the streets for money, not caring if its right or wrong.
All of the sudden this seems so... relevant?
Post Reply