Engine Coolant Temps

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
ianwood
Posts: 195
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Engine Coolant Temps

Post by ianwood »

Does anyone know the specific temps for the various points on the coolant temp indicator e.g. min temp (blue), 12 o'clock, and beginning of the red zone? Also what is the normal operating temp range for the regular eta? What is too hot? I am giving up on the cluster coolant indicator as it is possessed by demons, so I added a mechanical temp gauge.

I ran the car up to 210F at about 1100 RPM standing still before I shut it down. Important to note: we've removed the engine fan but rigged up the electric fan (minus the a/c radiator) to run full speed off of a manual switch in the dash for stationary cooling. It is very loud but it moves a decent amount of air through the radiator and over the front of the engine.

I think the car is running too hot. I pulled the thermostat but it didn't help. All the hoses felt hot (but I forgot to check the lower radiator hose). I am suspecting the radiator might be clogged. The deposits in the thermostat housing weren't terrible but it might be enough to jam up the radiator. Also need to keep in mind that the injectors are still whining at startup indicating an air leak and the O2 has been disconnected (needs to be replaced).
oz535i
Posts: 100
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by oz535i »

Here you go!!!

Image

(courtesy of Shawn D. & Rod Paine)
Post Reply