Going to San Fran in mid August

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Going to San Fran in mid August

Post by tsmall07 »

:banana:

I'll be there for a whole week. Anything you guys think I should see while I'm there? I'm going to visit a recent college roommate that moved out there. I'm going to need a lot to do while he's at work. What kind of stuff do you suggest other than the Golden Gate and Alcatraz? Those are already on the list. ;) I've never really been anywhere off the east coast before (except Yellow Stone when I was 8 years old) and I'm really excited about the trip. I don't think I'll have any way of getting around other than public transportation, and I'm not sure where in the city I'm staying. What kinds of sights/restaurants do you guys suggest? :D
Kenny Blankenship
Posts: 4942
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: NNV

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

Go to Castro Street... :shock:

How much money you got to spend? A very good restaurant that is reasonable (about $10-$20) is Chow. If you like Indian food, Naan and Curry is pretty good. There are tons of good, cheap Chinese restaurants.

I would also take the hour drive north, visit Napa and do some wine tasting. You can visit Infineon Raceway on the way up!
RobbieR
Posts: 1608
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Woodstock, GA

Post by RobbieR »

Sausalito, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Also try to visit Sonoma wine country which is about 45 minutes north of the city.
brianBOFH
Posts: 179
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Boston, MA

Post by brianBOFH »

Muir Woods is amazing.

http://www.nps.gov/muwo/
Wombat
Posts: 164
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Richmond, VA

Cali

Post by Wombat »

Muir Woods is awesome and a quick drive across the Golden Gate. However, my favorite day trip would have to be heading south through Half Moon Bay and on down to Big Sur.

Here are a couple of pics from a park called Point Lobos which is located just before the start of Big Sur.

Image

Image
B_Newman
Posts: 936
Joined: Feb 15, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Post by B_Newman »

San Francisco is a great place to visit. You will have a blast. If you can take a day, drive down to Monterey and Carmel. You'll miss the Monterey jazz festival, but it's a great area, and the drive along the water is amazing. If you do go down to Monterey, check out a place called The Whaling Station. http://www.restauranteur.com/whalingstationmontereycom/
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

I'll second Sausalito and Napa and third Muir woods. All great places in different ways.

Take plenty of money with you. ;)
tomkatdo
Posts: 336
Joined: Apr 15, 2007
Location: Sacramento,CA

Post by tomkatdo »

Go to Haight and Ashbury and stroll up and back,it might change your life!
paddylopez
Posts: 584
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Location: Boise, ID

Post by paddylopez »

Uh...let's see. Avoid my hometown (Vallejo) spend lots of time in Napa, and why hasn't anyone mentioned Marin County? It's pretty close to heaven (I have given much blood, sweat and tears to Mt. Tam)...overall it's one of the nicest parts of the world. If you're an art fan, there's a ton of great contemporary galleries in the Bay Area, plus you can always go and hang out at Pac Bell park (best. ballpark. ever.) and watch someone shell my beloved Giants.
Son of a
Posts: 2366
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: Housatonic, MA

Post by Son of a »

SF is a great place to just walk around and amble, if you have a day and don't mind some prodigious hill climbs.

As for food and beverage in the city -- coming from the east coast be sure to check out the fair number of west coast beers that do not make back here. Personal favorites include anything made by Alaskan Brewing or Pyramid. And if you like touring breweries there is Anchor Steam right in the city and two Pyramid locations in Berkeley and Walnut Creek.

And if you like seafod, particularly oysters, Swan's Oyster Bar is really good.
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

WOW thats a long list. Am I going to be able to get to these places on the bus? Like I said, I don't think I'll have access to a car. I think a taxi would be too expensive as well. I do plan on walking around a lot.

Thanks for all the replies. (especially the beer advice ;) )
Son of a
Posts: 2366
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: Housatonic, MA

Post by Son of a »

BART is a good way to get to some places in and around the Bay Area for cheap. For example you can take it to within about 4 blocks of Walnut Creek Pyramid Brewpub, a good distance out of the city.

As for the stuff further away (Napa, Muir Woods, Half Moon Bay, etc.) if you plan it out you can always use a place like Rent-A-Wreck to get a car for less than $30 a day.

http://www.rentawreck.com/LANSAIMG/RAP/ ... hirdst.htm

Last time I used them it was something like $22 a day, with no surcharges and no need for extra insurance. Put over 1000 miles on a purple Dodge Stratus driving from Seatle to Vancouver and back with a tour of Victoria Island thrown in for good measure.
dez528e
Posts: 192
Joined: Apr 28, 2007
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Post by dez528e »

Disc golf in Golden Gate Park:
http://www.sfdiscgolf.org/

For parties and events, check this site: http://sanfrancisco.going.com/

There's alot of theaters in San Francisco showing things outside of new releases, so check Fandango for what's playing.

If you make a trip into Chinatown and want to eat, I suggest Hunan Homes

A bit expensive, but Aziza has the best Moroccan food, and they also have belly dancers on Friday nights. http://www.aziza-sf.com/

For Indian, I recommend Great India

The malls in Japantown are great, and there's a very good ramen shop across from the bookstore in the Kinokuniya building.

Also visit the Filmore neighborhood (but only ABOVE Geary, not below it)

One of the best bars in the city is Absinthe in the Hayes Valley neighborhood.

You can take a ferry to Sausalito. It's fun if you like to window shop and go into alot of galleries.

Get a City Pass!

Remember to dress in layers!
johnnye23
Posts: 5059
Joined: Sep 27, 2006
Location: Auburn Ca
Contact:

Post by johnnye23 »

Bring your creeper and check out Lombard street Image :laugh: [/url]
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

dez528e wrote: Remember to dress in layers!
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to hear from a local. Why should I dress in layers? Won't it be warm in August?

johnnye23 wrote: Bring your creeper and check out Lombard street :Laugh:
I want to go there too! haha
dcollin
Posts: 1017
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Napa, CA

Post by dcollin »

I'm suprised you never heard this: "The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco!"-Mark Twain.
It's true.

One of the great things about the Bay Area is it has an amazing public transit system.

If you're around when I'm not out of town, I'll give a mini Napa Valley tour.
Dave
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

Sounds great man! I'd really like to meet some Cali e28ers. I really like to meet new people, but sadly a lot of other people don't feel the same. I figured out I'll be staying at 2325 Bryant St. I hope I can figure out the transit system.

I had heard that phrase my Mark Twain, but it slipped my mind. Thats kindof depressing. haha
fre28ak
Posts: 1
Joined: Jul 22, 2007

your trip to SF

Post by fre28ak »

Yes, bring some layers just in case...even tho it's August. But it has been an unusually warm and dry summer....and yes, I'm a local. Born in Oakland, also an 8 year stint in the City. Been in the Bay Area most of my life.

If you don't have a car, my vote is to check out SF as thoroughly as possible...save those other ambitious trips for another time. You will NOT run out of fun things to do/see. The overall transportation system gets about a C- from me. BART is good, but it's very limited. Muni kinda sucks, although if you finally figure it out, it will get you just about everywhere in the city - eventually.

Go to Ocean Beach, Baker Beach (clothing optional), the Mission district, the Castro (neighborhoods with flavor) and avoid the tourist traps like Fisherman's Wharf. Coit Tower is tourist-y but has killer views. Muir Woods is actually worth the hassle of getting there by bus, about the only exception to the staying-in-SF advice. Other than that, there's plenty to soak up in SF, within walking distance. Let the City surprise you.
passwor3
Posts: 476
Joined: Apr 13, 2007
Location: Western Slope, CO

Post by passwor3 »

Point Reyes. One of ten National Seashores. You can observe a marked portion of the fault line from the "great" earthquake, among other things.
Kenny Blankenship
Posts: 4942
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: NNV

Post by Kenny Blankenship »

WOW thats a long list. Am I going to be able to get to these places on the bus? Like I said, I don't think I'll have access to a car. I think a taxi would be too expensive as well. I do plan on walking around a lot.
You are lucky, SF has a very good transit system. I think you can get an all day pass for BART and the Muni bus system for a reasonable price. Might even be a weekly pass available. BART will take you down to Millbrae, up to SF, across to the East Bay (Pittsburg, Berkeley, Oakland) and down to Pleasanton. Doesn't go to Marin or Napa, though.

Chow Restaurant is right off the Muni bus line (there are two of them near each other). You can also reach Shalimar off the bus line, but you'll have to walk a few blocks through a ratty area (Tenderloin). I wouldn't go there alone and it's better if there is sunlight...
For Indian, I recommend Great India
I will have to go there next when I'm up there next month. :D I forgot, I can also recommend Shalimar which is on 532 Jones in SF. A very popular and reasonably priced Indian/Pakistani restaurant.
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to hear from a local. Why should I dress in layers? Won't it be warm in August?
It can be cold, foggy and windy. Going inland in the east bay it warms up quickly, but SF is right on the ocean. I bought an overcoat just for my trips to SF. I was last up there in May and at night it was 40 degrees and windy...I was COLD!

You will have a great time. Take the time to absorb the atmosphere and check out the people. You will find them...uh...different ;)
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

The people should be an experience. I don't know how I feel about spending a week in "the gayest city in the country". :laugh:
dez528e
Posts: 192
Joined: Apr 28, 2007
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Post by dez528e »

You'll at least want to bring a light jacket for walking around in the morning and daytime, and have a jacket or a sweater for the evening. It does get hot in the afternoons, but by about 7pm, fog is starting to roll in. Also remember to bring an umbrella. Doesn't have to be a huge one, but it should be somewhat sturdy.

For your personal/material safety:

If you plan on walking around alot, bring a messenger bag of some sort. Keep your camera and any electronics in the bag at all times. If anyone tries to talk to you, ignore them. Don't give anyone money. If anyone asks you for directions, just say "sorry" and walk away - do not say "I'm not from here." Don't buy the newspapers being sold by homeless people (called the "Street Sheet"). Avoid the area between Stockton/4th and Van Ness. Don't walk down Market past 5th Street. Don't make eye contact with homeless people or anyone who looks less than normal. If you want to go to bars late at night, the safest place to do it is anywhere but near Union Square.
skip535i
Posts: 5186
Joined: Oct 26, 2006
Location: Lynchburg, VA

Post by skip535i »

dez528e wrote:You'll at least want to bring a light jacket for walking around in the morning and daytime, and have a jacket or a sweater for the evening. It does get hot in the afternoons, but by about 7pm, fog is starting to roll in. Also remember to bring an umbrella. Doesn't have to be a huge one, but it should be somewhat sturdy.

For your personal/material safety:

If you plan on walking around alot, bring a messenger bag of some sort. Keep your camera and any electronics in the bag at all times. If anyone tries to talk to you, ignore them. Don't give anyone money. If anyone asks you for directions, just say "sorry" and walk away - do not say "I'm not from here." Don't buy the newspapers being sold by homeless people (called the "Street Sheet"). Avoid the area between Stockton/4th and Van Ness. Don't walk down Market past 5th Street. Don't make eye contact with homeless people or anyone who looks less than normal. If you want to go to bars late at night, the safest place to do it is anywhere but near Union Square.
Dez, just so you know. Tyler is a 6'2" 240 lb wrecking ball of a man. It would take 3,640 homeless people to make him sweat.
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

skip535i wrote:
dez528e wrote:You'll at least want to bring a light jacket for walking around in the morning and daytime, and have a jacket or a sweater for the evening. It does get hot in the afternoons, but by about 7pm, fog is starting to roll in. Also remember to bring an umbrella. Doesn't have to be a huge one, but it should be somewhat sturdy.

For your personal/material safety:

If you plan on walking around alot, bring a messenger bag of some sort. Keep your camera and any electronics in the bag at all times. If anyone tries to talk to you, ignore them. Don't give anyone money. If anyone asks you for directions, just say "sorry" and walk away - do not say "I'm not from here." Don't buy the newspapers being sold by homeless people (called the "Street Sheet"). Avoid the area between Stockton/4th and Van Ness. Don't walk down Market past 5th Street. Don't make eye contact with homeless people or anyone who looks less than normal. If you want to go to bars late at night, the safest place to do it is anywhere but near Union Square.
Dez, just so you know. Tyler is a 6'2" 240 lb wrecking ball of a man. It would take 3,640 homeless people to make him sweat.
I'm still going to heed this advice. I don't want to get into anything when I'm all the way across the country. I treated the homeless similarly while in atlanta recently.
dez528e
Posts: 192
Joined: Apr 28, 2007
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Post by dez528e »

You may not get beaten up being that big, but we've been out with our 6'3" 350lb former roommate and have still had crackheads coming up to us. When it's 12am and they only need one more dollar before they can go score, they don't care what you look like.

It's very easy for the homeless crackheads to ruin a good mood...happens to me all the time. But at least nobody will be commenting on the condition of your ass (unless you're in the Castro :lol: ).
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

dez528e wrote:But at least nobody will be commenting on the condition of your ass (unless you're in the Castro :lol: ).
I don't know... I've been told my ass is pretty nice before. :shock: ;)
RonP
Posts: 3581
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sunset Beach, California
Contact:

Post by RonP »

You need to drive down to Monterey for the BMW Festorics, Concorso Italiano, and the Auctions!!!! It's a three day event and if you have never been, it is something you will never forget.
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

What dates is that happening?
RonP
Posts: 3581
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sunset Beach, California
Contact:

Post by RonP »

tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 12775
Joined: May 22, 2006
Location: Springfield, vA

Post by tsmall07 »

Its possible. Maybe I can rent a car for a day. It'll have to be the 17th 'cause my flight leaves mid day on the 18th.
Post Reply