Anyone rocks a dash mat?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
Mless5
Posts: 4033
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marblehead, MA

Anyone rocks a dash mat?

Post by Mless5 »

I saw a few weeks ago on ebay some kind of a soft dash mat. Does anyone rock one of these? How is the quality/fit? Call me crazy, but I get some nasty reflections from my left tweeter and driving around with a towel on the dash is not a solution.

Thanks!

P.S. Found the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E28- ... enameZWDVW
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

I rock one on the 533i simply to protect the crack-less dash underneath. Everyone else hates it, but I know why its there and its doing its job. I pull it off once a year for 5er Fest! ;)
JayM
Posts: 473
Joined: Oct 13, 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post by JayM »

Rock?
Mless5
Posts: 4033
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marblehead, MA

Post by Mless5 »

Kyle in NO wrote:I rock one on the 533i simply to protect the crack-less dash underneath. Everyone else hates it, but I know why its there and its doing its job. I pull it off once a year for 5er Fest! ;)

Well that too, proud owner of crack free..ahem...
JoshInAtlanta
Posts: 4434
Joined: Apr 22, 2006
Location: Holly Springs, GA

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

I've got one... bought it when I had the 524td. Kept it when I sold the car.

I got my 535i and it had a perfect dash. However, the previous owner never cleaned the car, so it was real dirty. I cleaned the dust off with a damp rag (I am real picky about interior cleaners, hate the greasy look most of them leave). The next morning I had a nice crack... I guess I deserve it for cleaning the ancient dust I suppose.

Anyway, I "rock" a $35 dash mat I bought from eBay. It fits decent, doesn't slide around, and protects my dash, even though I am the only person that understands that.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

I have a dash mat on the 533. The dash in that car was relatively nice, plus I'm so used to them I bought Skip's. I like the idea if you have something nice to protect or keep from getting worse. The only real problem is there isn't one out there that can fit the dash perfectly, so you might end up with a crack or two anyway.

My mom was on the forefront of this many years ago (late '60s) when she used to make her own dash covers that actually fit the dash, hung over the edge slightly, etc. The only problem was she made them tan, so they reflect in the windshield. Let's just say all of our cars have a MomMat. :roll:
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

Kyle in NO wrote:I rock one on the 533i simply to protect the crack-less dash underneath. Everyone else hates it, but I know why its there and its doing its job. I pull it off once a year for 5er Fest! ;)

HAHAA!! C'mon, man! That thing has been removed from the dash maybe one time, at the Chattanoogan on Friday. On Saturday, you even had the goofy sun deflector up in the windshield. :rofl:
ChefShawn
Posts: 2653
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: 94952 Petaluma CA.

Post by ChefShawn »

I have one from the PO that covers up some cracks but it has a BMW logo stitched on it, it looks very nice and prevents more cracks.

If I could find them for a decent price i would bu another for my new ride, but they are like $40 + for a small piece of rug..... :evil:
C.J.
Posts: 3915
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Orange County, CA

Post by C.J. »

I've always wondered how involved of a job it would be to wrap the dash in some sort of new material. Cause a cheetah print dash in Ratty would just be soo punk rock :rockon:.
filmy
Posts: 674
Joined: Jul 04, 2006

Post by filmy »

booker wrote:
Kyle in NO wrote:I rock one on the 533i simply to protect the crack-less dash underneath. Everyone else hates it, but I know why its there and its doing its job. I pull it off once a year for 5er Fest! ;)

HAHAA!! C'mon, man! That thing has been removed from the dash maybe one time, at the Chattanoogan on Friday. On Saturday, you even had the goofy sun deflector up in the windshield. :rofl:
:bow: for the goofy sun deflectors! After living in Texas, you learn.
dez528e
Posts: 192
Joined: Apr 28, 2007
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Post by dez528e »

I have a black carpet one, but every speck of dirt and hair shows up on it. I had a beige one in my old car, and liked it a bit better. Mine has velcro holding it down.
coopa.s
Posts: 481
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by coopa.s »

I got one. My dash has 2 cracks, one you cant see at the very front near the windscreen vents and one near the centre vent which is maybe 2cm long.

Aussie sun + bmw dash = death.

And yes i have a goofy sun deflector.
bmwm3n528
Posts: 1715
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Hickory, NC

Post by bmwm3n528 »

I've got one to hide my cracked dash. :D

The fitment is pretty good, and I don't mind the looks. Just vacuum it off periodically.
daka
Posts: 124
Joined: Nov 04, 2006
Location: South FL

Post by daka »

I have one on the 535is, DASHMAT excellent fit ..only one problem...you will need about another 2 feet of velcro to make it stay down along the ceter cut out and the sides...make SURE to clean the dash well so the velcro sticks.
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

One in each car, in the 533i it hides the cracks and in the M5 it protects the crack free dash. Neither one is fastened down and I've never had them move enough to bother fastening them down.
MarkD in NJ
Posts: 865
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NJ

Post by MarkD in NJ »

I rock a black carpet one on top of the crack-free dash in the 533i. Not held down by anything (didn't want to stick anything directly to the dash), it just sits there. I take if off a few times a year to apply vinyl conditioner, then put it back.

I think I might switch it out with a lighter color in the future, but it is doint its job for now.

Mark
Mless5
Posts: 4033
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marblehead, MA

Post by Mless5 »

MarkD in NJ wrote:I rock a black carpet one on top of the crack-free dash in the 533i. Not held down by anything (didn't want to stick anything directly to the dash), it just sits there. I take if off a few times a year to apply vinyl conditioner, then put it back.

I think I might switch it out with a lighter color in the future, but it is doint its job for now.

Mark
Let me know if you will be. I'd take your old one.
BMWgiant
Posts: 5734
Joined: Mar 21, 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Post by BMWgiant »

I noticed at 5er Fest that alot of cars were rocking the dash carpet... I for one am not feeling the looks, but I doubt anybody cares about the looks anyway... It is all about functionality and keeping your dash nice... Although, how can you enjoy the crack free dash if it is always covered!?!?
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

Although, how can you enjoy the crack free dash if it is always covered!?!?
QFT.....
While I understand the want to protect that nice dash, what are you protecting it for? to look at when?

Maybe when someone comes up with a nice wraparound microsuede dashcover that also covers the front like the M5 leather dash I will buy that in a second.

Jay3
BMWgiant
Posts: 5734
Joined: Mar 21, 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Post by BMWgiant »

ElGuappo wrote:
Although, how can you enjoy the crack free dash if it is always covered!?!?
QFT.....
While I understand the want to protect that nice dash, what are you protecting it for? to look at when?

Maybe when someone comes up with a nice wraparound microsuede dashcover that also covers the front like the M5 leather dash I will buy that in a second.

Jay3
What's QFT? Amen to the rest!
skip535i
Posts: 5186
Joined: Oct 26, 2006
Location: Lynchburg, VA

Post by skip535i »

Quite F-ing True?

:rofl:
JBort
Posts: 1631
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Loomis, California

Post by JBort »

QFT.....
While I understand the want to protect that nice dash, what are you protecting it for? to look at when?
Jay3's cracked dash matches his cracked euro headlight. He doesn't want to break up the pair... :laugh:

The "Dashmat" looks and fits the best of all I've seen. I have them on 3 of the 4 e28's.
BTW, I just don't want to look at a cracked dash... :rofl:
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

QFT means "quoted for truth" - I had that same question about a month ago, so I Googled it, but I can understand upping your post count.
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

Hey Jay1, you see if you have a 7" light for me yet? :|

I find it hard to believe that with all the bright bulsb we have on this fora that nobody has come up with a decent filler product yet..... something vinyl based so it would expand/contract at the same rate, could be injected with a syringe....might not match perfectly, but would look much better than the cracks or a freakin rug on my dash...

Jay3
JBort
Posts: 1631
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Loomis, California

Post by JBort »

Hey Jay1, you see if you have a 7" light for me yet?
Yes. Not perfect but not cracked :banana:
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

Now we are talking.....maybe I can polish it up a bit.....
We will talk about it.

Jay3
landspeed
Posts: 1597
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR

Post by landspeed »

bmwm3n528 wrote:I've got one to hide my cracked dash. :D
Hiding cracked dashes FTW!
Post Reply